Christoffer

Hello,

I have a current setup of Marantz 5010 with Klipsch R-28F and RS-52 II. I am looking for which center I should buy for my setup. It's being used mostly for watching movies, but of course music from time to time as well.

After some reading I was first thinking of going for the RC-62 II, but I am also considering RC-64 II. Which one will go best together with my setup while also thinking about the price? Should I consider any other center?

Will the Marantz 5010 have any problems if I go for the RC-64 II with my setup?

Thanks. But do you think the RC-64 II will be "too much" compared to what I already have or will it fit good?

Someone is selling the RC-64 II used for about 550 dollar (new price here is like 1100 dollar) and I'm wondering if I should go for it or buy something cheaper like the RC-62 or something else.

• Like 1

And BTW, I saw yesterday your Marantz is 100 watts per channel so thinking the center and even the surrounds the same? I see no problem with powering the 64 either. Saying this while those more familiar are around, in case they have an opinion on this. My SR7500 was, all 7 channels per Marantz.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Here's the thing Chris, let me level with you for a minute.

Your setup was designed to be paired with the R-25C.  That's what Klipsch intended, and that's where the timbre match is going to be.

You're asking about an RC-64, a center channel that is ranked as one of Klipsch's top 5 center channel speakers, and is literally double the handling of your towers.  It's a speaker that is made of superior parts (cerametallic woofers instead of img cones), and a huge titanium compression driver instead of a aluminum tweeter.  With those differences, you're probably going to notice the surround profile sounding a bit odd when you watch movies.

The center channel is also much more efficient than your towers, and because the crossover and parts are better, it will outshine your towers.  That's why if you have no intentions of purchasing at least the RF-62's, I probably would advise against it.  You're almost going to have to turn that center all the way down and your towers all the way up to blend it well.

If you REALLY don't want the R-25C, and you don't want to upgrade anything else, my recommendation would be looking for the SC-3 or the C-3, with the former being preferred.  Those two will be larger speakers that should be closer to your timber.  The SC-3 is a respectable center channel as well.  You could also look for used RC-3's, RC-25's, 35's, or RC-52's or 62's.  The 62's and 35's will need to be trimmed down a bit, but not nearly as much as the RC-64.  Lastly, you could examine the potential of the RP-250C or RP-4x0C's.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

You're almost going to have to turn that center all the way down and your towers all the way up to blend it well.

Gee, if only there was a room correction software built into an AVR that could do that.

Oh, wait...:P

+++

That's the beauty of the Audyssey type setups you don't like.  You always seem to have fancy, perfectly matched L/C/R so you might not know, but you would not believe what a miracle Audyssey does with my TOTALLY mis-matched L/C/R AND surrounds.  My surrounds BTW are located behind me about 12 feet, and up about foot from the ceiling.

I know you don't like it, but in my case, Audyssey to the rescue!  :D

• Like 1

Just now, wvu80 said:

Gee, if only there was a room correction software built into an AVR that could do that.

Or you know, manual trim.  But that wasn't my point.

Why have a big beefy center if you have to turn it all the way down? :P

• Like 2

Just now, The History Kid said:

Or you know, manual trim.  But that wasn't my point.

Why have a big beefy center if you have to turn it all the way down? :P

I have Khorns.  They run at -12 to level match my dome tweeter MTM center and my Bose 301 surrounds.  The Khorns still sound pretty good turned down. 

It's all relative.  B)

• Like 1

Just now, wvu80 said:

I have Khorns.  They run at -12 to level match my dome tweeter MTM center and my Bose 301 surrounds.  The Khorns still sound pretty good turned down. 

It's all relative.  B)

That, sir, is a totally different beast.  (Outside of the Bose 301's...you do know that I just got in new strawberry tar and some pink feathers, right?) :P:lol:

Agree on relativity.  Just think that most are not like us, if he's got no intention of upgrading...a more cost effective and reasonable option is probably the best.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

(Outside of the Bose 301's...you do know that I just got in new strawberry tar and some pink feathers, right?) :P:lol:

I knew that was coming...  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Thank you for your answers. I was first thinking about the R-25C, but have then been told by various people that I should buy something better. 250/440/450C has been mentioned, and also RC-62 and 64. The reason I am a bit focused on 64 is because I watch a lot of movies/tv-series and I want the best center for that (but of course not a center that "destroys" the other speakers) and because I saw someone selling the 64 used (price is now lowered to 500 dollars which is what I've seen 450C goes for used). 

I will probably be upgrading the other speakers one day, but since I bought the speakers and receiver just half a year ago - it will probably be at least 2 or 3 years before I buy something better. 

I really have a hard time deciding seeing some recommending to buy and others saying not to buy :P I guess I'll just have to think a bit more about it. I appreciate every feedback I get here, and please add more if you got other recommendations about what to do in this case. :)