nad vs sony

lotech

OK, here's another question from a technically challenged Klipsch listener.  My setup is strictly 2 channel and is only used for CD and FM radio listening.  I currently have Heresy 3 speakers powered by a Sony STR DH130 receiver.  What kind of a difference in audio quality would be realized by switching to a NAD C 316BEE integrated amp.  My listening area is extremely small (10 by 8) and I'm aware that I'd have to forego the radio at least temporarily.

You should get much better SQ from the NAD.  I am assuming that is the full model of the Sony?  ES models are respectable, but anything less in the Sony line is something you can safely pass on.  However, the bottom line is this: do you like how your Sony sounds?

If the answer is yes: do nothing.

If the answer is no: give the NAD a try.

History Kid - I do like the sound of the Sony but I also enjoyed the Cerwin Vega speakers I had before I heard the Klipsch.  It's not that I'm dissatisfied with what I have but rather would a relatively small investment make the Heresys sound much better.  If there's not much to choose between the two then I'll happily stay where I am.

I think NAD and Klipsch, specifically Heresy(I,II,III), sound wonderful together.  Sony gear, with a couple of exceptions, just don't do it for me for music.  All NAD I have owned has excelled in the music department.

1 hour ago, lotech said:

switching to a NAD C 316BEE integrated amp. 

If you are patient and could save up a little bit more $$$, then I would highly suggest you getting at minimum, the C326BEE.  A little bit more power and stereo and subwoofer preouts.  To me, worth the price over the 316BEE.

Bill

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, lotech said:

History Kid - I do like the sound of the Sony but I also enjoyed the Cerwin Vega speakers I had before I heard the Klipsch.  It's not that I'm dissatisfied with what I have but rather would a relatively small investment make the Heresys sound much better.  If there's not much to choose between the two then I'll happily stay where I am.

While I don't have the experience with NAD like the others here do, I'd recommend what Bill described above.  The NAD should provide you with better results for music.  If you're curious about sound that might be better, you should at least see that much with upgrading from that Sony to any model of NAD.

+1 for the NAD. I have the 356BEE integrated and drive my Belles with it and a pair of RB61II and the sound is very nice. Have not had Sony in many years so don't know how they compare, but do like the NAD. This unit is 80 wpc and is more than enough power for my needs.

I als o recommend the NAD. Had a 325BEE and it just sounded awesome for the price. It ran two 4 Ohm JBL 225JRXs with no problems at all. Had a tube CD player (ShanLing CD T 80) and DBX 231 EQ hooked up to it and it was my favourite sysytem. It just sounded right. If I cranked it up paintings would fall off my walls. NAD has a quality first philosophy and they can drive almost anything.