Forte I - Where do I stand

Hello!

I'm new to these forums. Wanted to say hello - I'm sure I'll be asking for more help soon. I'm starting with the Forte I for my first Klipsch adventure, and, I know it's just the beginning. 

I found a pair fairly cheap (black finish) here in the valley (of the Sun) - cabinets are in good shape, but the stands are a wreck. Electronically they are ok, aside from both tweeters being shot... This is fine, as I had already planned (and finished today) the Crites ti diaphragm upgrade. Waiting on Crites XO's too. 

Any insight regarding the repair and refinish of the stands is appreciated! Should I just build new ones? 

These have missing chunks of veneer and splitting elsewhere...maybe they used these speakers in the pool...

Also, I log all my misadventures on my blog - http//:thenewold.co

Thanks in advance -

Darren

forte_front1.jpg

• Like 1

If they're really damaged it may just be easier to either buy different ones or make new ones. The forte can stand to be a little taller anyway so some stands that lift them up a bit or tilt them back slightly kind of like the Heresy slant risers would be ideal in my opinion. Maybe you could post some pictures of the damage and let others chime in on repair ideas? Anyway, welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

If they're really damaged it may just be easier to either buy different ones or make new ones. The forte can stand to be a little taller anyway so some stands that lift them up a bit or tilt them back slightly kind of like the Heresy slant risers would be ideal in my opinion. Maybe you could post some pictures of the damage and let others chime in on repair ideas? Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Hello! Thanks for the quick response. I will get photos of the stands up soon. 

I like adding another inch or two - though, my current seating is fairly low - so won't need much more lift. 

• Like 1

Also, I'm re-wiring the Forte boxes with the Duelund 16GA tinned copper wire. I've used it in other speakers, with some success. Excited to hear how this works out.

If you are curious, check out Jeff Day's posts on Positive Feedback about the Duelund wire: http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/duelund-coherent-audio-dca16ga-premium-tinned-copper-vintage-tone-cable/

• Like 1

Risers are pretty easy to fix...The brackets can be reattached with a hot glue gun...you could drill a couple small holes through the the plastic corner brackets and screw them on.

Just use short enough screws ( not to break through the outside of the risers).

Taking off all the old veneer ...you will need a heat gun and a good L shaped scraper...and a little work (patients). You can get adhesive backed veneer from Rockler.

Just cut into 2 3/4 inch strips and re veneer the sides.....staining to match is not so easy....use some of the veneer scrap pieces to match .

See photos.

George

WP_20151203_16_53_15_Pro.jpg med.jpg

WP_20151203_16_53_20_Pro.jpg med.jpg

WP_20151203_16_56_59_Pro.jpg med.jpg

WP_20151205_14_45_57_Pro.jpg med.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldred said:

Risers are pretty easy to fix...The brackets can be reattached with a hot glue gun...you could drill a couple small holes through the the plastic corner brackets and screw them on.

Just use short enough screws ( not to break through the outside of the risers).

Taking off all the old veneer ...you will need a heat gun and a good L shaped scraper...and a little work (patients). You can get adhesive backed veneer from Rockler.

Just cut into 2 3/4 inch strips and re veneer the sides.....staining to match is not so easy....use some of the veneer scrap pieces to match .

See photos.

George

WP_20151203_16_53_15_Pro.jpg med.jpg

WP_20151203_16_53_20_Pro.jpg med.jpg

WP_20151203_16_56_59_Pro.jpg med.jpg

WP_20151205_14_45_57_Pro.jpg med.jpg

And, those cabinets are gorgeous.

I had the same problem with my forte 2's. Ended up getting some hairpin legs, 10" long. This brought the mid horn closer to my seated ear height and made the asthmatics blend better with my wife's decor. Win, win! 

IMG_0440.thumb.JPG.1bd5d65cc08642f3652885858170ed84.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ACM said:

I had the same problem with my forte 2's. Ended up getting some hairpin legs, 10" long. This brought the mid horn closer to my seated ear height and made the asthmatics blend better with my wife's decor. Win, win! 

Nice! Did you find any material change to performance with that kind of lift?

I was wondering what raising the speaker beyond the original design might do.

On 5/8/2017 at 5:00 PM, oldred said:

They use to be black...The walnut veneer was under the black......needed to do risers cause they were oak.

Are all the Forte I series - the black finished - walnut veneered and painted black?

20 hours ago, ACM said:

Where did you get that awesome credenza! 

I have been looking for one for months!

19 hours ago, thenewold said:

Nice! Did you find any material change to performance with that kind of lift?

I was wondering what raising the speaker beyond the original design might do.

Raising them up did alter the response some. Most notable was feeling more immersed in the midrange. You can get the same effect from listening to factory forte's seated on the floor. The other change was less boom in the bass but the midrange also seemed to be a little hot compared with the woofer. Not in a big way, but I came to that conclusion after listening a week or so. I ended subbing one of Bob Crites autoformer a for the original T7 and dropped the mids 1db. To my ear, the balance was restored and "bigger midrange" sound remained. 

3 hours ago, Innocent_George said:

Where did you get that awesome credenza! 

I have been looking for one for months!

It was a gift from my mother a few years ago. She used to live in North Carolina and always found amazing furniture at silly cheap prices. 

Here's another shot flanked by La Scala's

IMG_1160.JPG

• Like 1