Forte I - Where do I stand

Well, it went ok...it's really hot out here today, so it was drying before I applied it.

But, so far so good. Even with the flaws in the veneer it's better than black.

Stands will wait for a rebuild.

IMG_20170512_151631-2.jpg

• Like 1

well ....how do they look??. The uppers look like walnut,

Suggestion....go to Dollar General buy some poster board and blue tape cut the poster board in sheets and cover the drivers ...if you do not want to remove them.

Get them looking nice ....then use Watco rejuvenating oil...If you need to refinish risers you my need to pick up stain to match....best match I found is Minwax gunstock...

They are getting there

PS....nice mattress

George,

I did something similar...tape and heavy paper over the front/drivers. 

Ya, I dig it! Much better than the black paint, even with the scars. Some damage to the veneer - not sure where these lived before I grabbed them. 

Hah! Thanks for noticing...we got a new mattress today.

Another shot - finish is uneven. But I was able to match the stands and cabinets. American Walnut stain. 

Again, not perfect, but I dig it much more than the black. 

Should have the crossovers tomorrow. Look forward to putting these things to work.

fortefinish.jpg

• Like 1

Alright, new XO's are in, and I'm running them for a bit before I mess with setup. 

Question on positioning in a small space:

With the passive drivers what happens if I push the speakers closer to the wall?

Currently have them about 30" from the front wall.

• 2 weeks later...

Been running the Forte for a couple weeks now. Using Crites crossovers. I am slowly replacing the stock caps with my own. The first move was to drop in a pair of Jupiter CF 1.5uF - I had these on the shelf from a previous project. After running those for a week, I added the Duelund JAM 1.0uF caps. These are a new 'budget' line from Duelund. Really digging how they sound now. 

In the meantime, I got an offer to trade my Tekton speakers for a modded Dynaco ST70 (DIYtube). So I'll run this until my new amp is built. 

forte_xo_up1.jpg

fortexo2.jpg

ST70_6CA7z.jpg