WITHDRAWN: 53TB unRAID NAS

Thaddeus Smith

This is a 24+2 bay chassis (4U) running the latest version of unRAID. The front 24 bays support SATA3/6Gbps drives and are connected to three Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 cards. The two rear drive bays have a SAS backplane (also 6Gbps) and are currently populated with two 15k 320GB drives for the cache pool.

There are two interal 2.5" mounts that would be suitable for SSD drives. The motherboard has onboard SATA2 ports, or you can add a fourth PCI card to drive the SSD and cache drives.

The system is running dual Xeon processors with a total of 16 threads and is populated with 2GB RAM sticks for a total of 24GB. That can be increased by replacing with larger DIMMS, up to 192GB. VT-x and VT-d are supported with this architecture so you can run both docker apps and VM's within unRAID.

The drives are a mix of 4TB, 3TB, and 2TB from both Western Digital and Seagate. The drives have been precleared and the array freshly created with dual parity. Currently usable space with this configuration is 53TB, with protection of up to two simultaneous drive failures.

There are three power supplies in the chassis (only one must be connected to power on) and I have three spares for future replacements. I will also include 2 spare 2TB drives, 4 spare 15k 320GB SAS drives, 5 empty caddies, and rails.

I will include the unRAID OS Pro license and usb device (mounted internally on the usb header).

Plenty of room for growth, even with it fully populated, simply by replacing drives with larger sizes. Runs Plex and other media related dockers perfectly.

Due to size and weight, this cannot be shipped - but I'll work with a potential buyer/trader to transfer the item if not located immediately in the Dallas area.

$1200, offers welcome. Open to trading for a functional pair of Klipsch LaScala speakers.  Withdrawn, will part out locally.

edit: I'll amend further - if someone wants to coordinate and pay for freight service, I'll put this on a pallet and make myself available for pickup by the shipping service. I have no idea on the weight, nor do I have a suitable scale. It's heavy - at least 100-150 pounds, which is why it's racked at the very bottom of my cabinet.

IMG_6129.thumb.jpg.d9784253e2b2e51e9299b329687d0d6a.jpg

IMG_6130.thumb.jpg.f49d2ccdfef27c88a40fff16bcc055a7.jpg

I'll amend further - if someone wants to coordinate and pay for freight service, I'll put this on a pallet and make myself available for pickup by the shipping service. I have no idea on the weight, nor do I have a suitable scale. It's heavy - at least 100-150 pounds, which is why it's racked at the very bottom of my cabinet.

This is a network attached storage device, 53TB worth. It can run virtual machines, as well as applications such as Plex for streaming movies/music to devices throughout your house, media management apps, acquisition apps, etc. It also is configured in a manner that can suffer two failed drives before the risk of data loss.

You get a lot of bang for your buck with DIY storage solutions, sort of like DIY subs and speakers. I'm looking to scrape together enough funds to get @ACM's 88 LaScalas and maybe some driver upgrades. Comparable LaScalas would be acceptable if someone is interested - I just can't go any wider or deeper with my living room setup.

yes, standard IEC cables - I'll include 2. It's not silent, but at idle it's pretty tolerable if placed in a closet or other room. It has a nice jet engine sound during initial power up and then idles with the drives usually hovering in mid to low 30's (celsius) in a room with ambient temps of high 70's.

Because of how unRAID works, only the drives being actively read/written to are spun up which helps with noise and temperature regulation - but it's still a 4U server with 26 drives and one should plan accordingly. I wouldn't stick it open air in the same space is my HT/listening room.

On 5/8/2017 at 11:13 AM, Thaddeus Smith said:

Plenty of room for growth, even with it fully populated, simply by replacing drives with larger sizes. Runs Plex and other media related dockers perfectly.

But can it whistle a tune?