Weighing Options To Stream Music/Listen to Mp3 with Older McIntosh Equipment

tidmack

I want everyone to know that I'm a complete novice when it comes to streaming music/listening to Mp3s with older stereo equipment, so please pardon my ignorance.

I know this is a topic that's been discussed here and at Audio Karma and I've searched through the archives, but I wanted to get some newer input from this forum, if possible. I have a McIntosh 2105 amp and 113 preamp/tuner that I use. I would like to have the flexibility to stream music from My Galaxy S6, or listen to saved Mp3s on my laptop and/or USB memory stick.

For what I'm looking to do, it sounds like I can directly connect an RCA to 3.5 mm cable from my preamp to my laptop or phone, adjust the volumes, and listen to music from my laptop or phone. Is this correct?

There are a few threads online about the TEAC CD-P650-B CD player, too. It looks like this option would allow me to play music from a USB memory stick as well. Is there another advantage to having the USB port on this unit? 

Both of the above options are wired and I think I'm ok with that. But, I feel like there might be advantages to wireless setups that I'm not thinking of. Is the biggest (only??) advantage of wireless that I can walk around my house with my device (most likely my phone) and change music?  If for some reason I determine that walking to my stereo to change songs has become too much of a hassle, has anyone played around with the available wireless products and can offer a recommendation? I have a friend with a SONOS setup, but I want to continue to use my Klipsch speakers, so I don't think I need/want to go that route. Besides, SONOS setups are pricey. Is there anything wireless, priced in the $250 or less range, that sounds good, and allows me to use my phone and laptop to play music?

I have no idea if these questions make sense, but I did the best I could with my limited knowledge of this technology. I fee like a fish out of water with this stuff! Thank you in advance for your input.

Jeff

What about using an Echo Dot (Amazon)? You could come out of the dot with a stereo 3.5 to rca into the Aux on the preamp. Now granted I do not know what the quality maybe, but you would be able to access Pandora and Amazon Music (which is free if you have Amazon Prime)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidmack

For what I'm looking to do, it sounds like I can directly connect an RCA to 3.5 mm cable from my preamp to my laptop or phone, adjust the volumes, and listen to music from my laptop or phone. Is this correct?

Jeff, that is exactly right.

Have a look at this: Internet Radio

It does all you want, plus adds a dizzying choice of radio from all over the world.  My Integra Pre/Pro does the same things and I find it hugely entertaining.  i have an NAS drive with my MP3 backups on it, I can access, or very often I listen to some random radio station from Austria or who knows where all day, until I turn on the TV after dinner. 

John, I keep learning every day. I will also check out the Grace Digital unit tonight. Looks intriguing...

2 hours ago, John Albright said:

Have a look at this: Internet Radio

It does all you want, plus adds a dizzying choice of radio from all over the world.  My Integra Pre/Pro does the same things and I find it hugely entertaining.  i have an NAS drive with my MP3 backups on it, I can access, or very often I listen to some random radio station from Austria or who knows where all day, until I turn on the TV after dinner. 

Like Tidmack I am new at this music streaming myself. Currently and for nothing more than background music into Heresys I use a 3.5 wire from my iMac into a female dual RCA to an integrated amp. I listen to Jazz 24 Internet radio or the like, all free. That's it. Sound is actually pretty good but for whatever reason certain passages fall out or can barely be heard in the back ground.

But within the next couple weeks I plan to buy the wife a new iPad and use hers for streaming either Tidal or Spotiy, both $10 a month. Depending on the sound I may upgrade to Tidal premium which delivers CD quality sound, $20 month. I'll use a Audioquest Dragonfly DAC for even better sound. With the Dragonfly and Tidal premium I should be more than satisfied and if not I will look at a better DAC. 

Hello! 

This may be more complex than you want to get...but http://www.sonore.us/Sonicorbiter.html connects directly to your network via ethernet cable and has both USB and optical outputs. You could stream Tidal for example with this but you'd need a DAC or pre with optical inputs.

I have been using their microRendu for streaming, and it is a fantastic product. But it's more expensive and is limited to USB output. I connect it to my dac. I've alot invested in my digital chain. Still, Sonore are making great gear for streaming music.

56 minutes ago, richieb said:

Like Tidmack I am new at this music streaming myself. Currently and for nothing more than background music into Heresys I use a 3.5 wire from my iMac into a female dual RCA to an integrated amp. I listen to Jazz 24 Internet radio or the like, all free. That's it. Sound is actually pretty good but for whatever reason certain passages fall out or can barely be heard in the back ground.

But within the next couple weeks I plan to buy the wife a new iPad and use hers for streaming either Tidal or Spotiy, both $10 a month. Depending on the sound I may upgrade to Tidal premium which delivers CD quality sound, $20 month. I'll use a Audioquest Dragonfly DAC for even better sound. With the Dragonfly and Tidal premium I should be more than satisfied and if not I will look at a better DAC. 

Spotify Premium should be more than adequate for what you want to do.  As you know, I use my Audioquest Dragonfly Red, and it's terrific.

18 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Spotify Premium should be more than adequate for what you want to do.  

I agree.

19 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

As you know, I use my Audioquest Dragonfly Red, and it's terrific.

I am currently streaming Spotify Premium with a Chromecast Audio into my Cambridge Audio 840C player/DAC into my CA 640A v2.0 into and out my HII's and it's terrific also.:D

Bill

19 hours ago, USNRET said:

Look in my the garage sale forum

This looks like another good, if complex choice. 

I can hook my Ubuntu PC to my HT and play music, movies, whatever, but with a cable strung across the floor or no remote for the PC if it's not in my lap, it never seems as easy as normal audio components.  I have an Amazon Fire Stick, that's pretty easy to use, but I think I'm gonna have to subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, or the like to get a good selection of movies.  With it I *can* stream any CD or MP3 I've ever bought from Amazon.  I'm not sure I like that they remember all of that. 

To further expand my limited experience with streaming but want to buy and get the best sound before any purchase is made would it best to buy a notebook (for streaming) that connected directly to cable or a tablet (iPad) using wireless wi-fi? I believe I've read that the cable direct to computer provide the best signal. Like I said I want to do it right the first time and since I'm making the purchase soon now is the time.

To further expand my limited experience with streaming but want to buy and get the best sound before any purchase is made would it best to buy a notebook (for streaming) that connected directly to cable or a tablet (iPad) using wireless wi-fi? I believe I've read that the cable direct to computer provide the best signal. Like I said I want to do it right the first time and since I'm making the purchase soon now is the time.

Get yourself a nice iPad, and an audio quest dragonfly red dac. Subscribe to Spotify premium and you are all set. I know that you heard my set up both through the heresies and the jubilees at the pilgrimage, and that was exactly the configuration I used.

Here's an easy and sort of cheap way to stream music. Requires two components, a DAC, and a Sonore SonicOrbiter SE. The SonicOrbiter has many different ways to access networked music. I use mine as a Roon endpoint to access music on my network  Roon server. Th DAC does the digital to analog conversion and would plug into any analog input on a receiver, preamp, or integrated amp. 

In my case I can access the Roon server from my iPad or iPhone and play music in my garage. No laptop required. 

HTH,

Mark

If you are using an IPAD and don't mind a wired connection, then do what jimjimbo said:  iPAD --> usb --> dragonfly --> RCA cable --> integrated amp.

If you want wireless, use Airplay built-in to the iPAD and stream to an Apple Airport:  iPAD --> Airplay --> Airport --> RCA cable --> integrated amp.

Or if you really want to get fancy:  IPAD --> Airplay --> Airport --> toslink --> DAC --> RCA cable --> integrated amp.  This would be a step up from the built-in Airport DAC.

Airplay is "limited" to bit-perfect CD quality 44.1/16.  That's about the best I can hear.  In theory, a direct wired connection is superior because it allows you to directly control the DAC at high-res / upsample beyond 44.1/16, but we're getting into splitting hairs here.  There are other proprietary hi-res wifi technologies, but that's a whole other matter.

Alright, here's what I'm going to try: I bought the Marantz NA 7004 here on the forum and I'm purchasing a Chromecast Audio unit. I feel like these two pieces should get me 90% of what I'm looking for at a damn reasonable price. Please keep the conversation going, though, as I dig hearing what other guys are doing to stream music in their homes.

Thank you again for all of the suggestions, I sincerely appreciate it.

Jeff