Best receiver to replace Onkyo 805

Boilermaker86

Currently I have the complete 7.1 reference setup and an Onkyo 805. Currently, I like that it is a beast of a receiver...lots of THX modes to choose from, Ultra 2 certified, lots of power and the Audysse calibration makes the Klipsch speakerd come alive.

I bought it new from Circuit City back in 2008 and the box says it was one made in Japan. So far, it is running strong and I keep a computer fan on top to keep it cool. Recently, it has been making some clicking noises and I know there have been hdmi board issues. With it being 9 years old, I've been looking at newer receivers incase I need to replace it at some point. 

My question is how does a  newer Marantz receiver like the 7010 or 7011 compare? It seems like I would be losing the THX listening modes, but would it power my set up fine? Also, I hear great things about the sound quality, would it be a nice upgrade?

Second, looking around at reviews I came across this Anthem mrx 710. It said it had their own technology for calibration and had raving reviews. How would that compare to an Onkyo 805. 

Thanks for the input.

You are right, the 805 is a beast that was definitely overbuilt at it's price point.  I have it's smaller brother 705 that continues to serve we well since 2007.

My suggestion, since you are so fond of your 805, then get a modern equivalent Onkyo or Integra.

Look at this if you don't need Atmos or 4K capabilities.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr802/integra-dtr-80.2-9.2-ch-x-145-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!more

This if you do want 4K.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr605/integra-dtr-60.5-9.2-ch-x-135-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

As far as Anthem goes, they will be on my short list if my NAD pre/pro ever takes a dump.

Bill

• Like 1

Would you hear any difference switching brands from an Onkyo to another one like Anthem or Marantz? Also, I saw newer receivers have dynamic eq, would that make a difference when watching movies? Now, after running audyssee I usually increase the surround a bit and sounds much better for the surround effects.   

Thanks for the input 

yes, receivers all have their sonic signature. they all sound different. if that's good or bad depends on what you prefer more. if you're looking at integra and marantz those are already two of your best choices in modern AV receivers 

they even change subtly over the years with the same line. if you take a marantz sr *006 *007 *008 and so on each one will be a bit different. sometimes it's the EQ circuits and sometimes they alter the amp sections 

• Like 1