Turntables...

The History Kid

Lol, yes Neil, it had good reviews. Glad to hear it.  Does travel well, what with bouncing back to me to correct. After calling this one and that one at the post office in Florida and Michigan, they had to think I was a postal inspector, or more likely a nut. lol

• Like 1

THK @The History Kid has sent the $$ by PayPal.  We've had lots of communication by email.  The TT is packed and double boxed.  The TT's manual has been sent to THK.  It goes into the hands of FedEx today.

Poor packing on the part of eBay sellers is the reason I ended up with a Technics SL-1500 salvage yard.  Attached are photos of the "dog's breakfast" found upon opening one such box.  Broken dustcovers and  tonearms were common.  I've owned ~ a dozen to be able to assemble some to present to friends and family members.  It was never about flipping them for a profit, but keeping them in use.  Fortunately, some of the damaged TTs also came with cartridges that were worth more than the TT, such as Audio Technica, Ortofon, Grado, Empire, etc. I guess the same ignorance regarding safe packing applied to the value of the cartridges.

The TT going to THK needed to have the counterweight repaired due to shipping damage from poor packing.  It's as good as new now.

008 (Mobile).JPG

012 (Mobile).JPG

THK's TT was disassembled for safe shipment. The tracking weight was removed (after attaching blue tape to make it easy to get it close without a scale).  The headshell/cartridge was removed and is protected by a cardboard tube, the platter is stabilized -- note the old "Greatest Hits" album sacrificed for the shipment.  The record is in there as a bonus.--and everything is secured in a way that shipping tape residue will not get on the TT.

After all that, it is packed in one heavy carton which is then packed inside another heavy carton.  This should arrive in fine shape, albeit "some assembly required."  At the risk of insulting THK, I've encouraged him to call me before unpacking and reassembling if he has ANY doubts about what's involved.

shipping 7.jpg

weight.jpg

tracking.jpg

shipping 9.jpg

20170529_121609 (Mobile).jpg

20170529_120452 (Mobile).jpg

• Like 2

Arrived here today and is one beauty of a unit.  Happy to see a bonus too on unpacking.  It's times like today I'm glad I was raised on LP's, the assembly reminded me of putting together old Pioneer's that my dad used to show me the ins and outs.  It goes into the console tomorrow, and should see its first spin either then or Saturday.  Excited!

It was a pleasure doing business with @DizRotus and that packing was exquisite.

ETA, realized I made an error...I forgot to upload a picture of the beauty safe and sound...

DSC01277.thumb.JPG.62ebedb81e80978cd79126bfee5e80c1.JPG

• Like 5

THK @The History Kid Google Audio Technica AT14Sa and you'll see what an excellent cartridge you have.  Unless you remove the cartridge from the headshell, you'll have to take my word for it, as the model designation is on the top of the cartridge.

I look forward to seeing it in use.  Enjoy.

image.jpeg

So, it turns out that this turntable is going to be too tall for the housing in the Gold Room, however, that is quite okay.  I've decided instead that it will set up shop in the living room and replace that Pioneer PL-990 that is currently there.  The 990 will go live in the console instead.

I plan on making the swap tomorrow and then from there, it'll be glory time.

• Like 1

So in my rush to make things work, I overlooked something rather important...phono stages.

The PL-990 has powered line outputs.  That is, you do not need a phono stage for the turntable.  That is not so with the SL-1500, obviously.  That'd be fine if it was going into the console, because the console amp has a phono stage.  However, the Emotiva Fusion does not.  So now the hunt begins for a phono stage pre-amp.  Does anyone have anything they're wanting to part with?  I've considered both the Schiit Mani and the Emotiva XPS-1.  I am leading towards the Schiit if I have to buy new simply because cost is a factor.  Other ideas or sales?

5 hours ago, The History Kid said:

So in my rush to make things work, I overlooked something rather important...phono stages.

The PL-990 has powered line outputs.  That is, you do not need a phono stage for the turntable.  That is not so with the SL-1500, obviously.  That'd be fine if it was going into the console, because the console amp has a phono stage.  However, the Emotiva Fusion does not.  So now the hunt begins for a phono stage pre-amp.  Does anyone have anything they're wanting to part with?  I've considered both the Schiit Mani and the Emotiva XPS-1.  I am leading towards the Schiit if I have to buy new simply because cost is a factor.  Other ideas or sales?

I have one that I bought from @billybob a few years ago.  I'll try to put my hands on it and get back to you.

Can you connect the Technics to the console temporarily, if only to confirm that it performs to your satisfaction?

I located the unit.  I see that it's available from Amazon for less than $100 at:

https://www.amazon.com/TC-760LC-BLACK-Moving-Phono-Control/dp/B000J2JFWI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496663279&sr=8-1&keywords=tc-760lc

It works great, but I'd encourage you to buy a new one.  I'd feel ashamed to ask $50 for mine, but for that amount I'd rather keep it.  There are times I could need it.  

I'm very pleased with it's operation, especially that it's both MM and MC.  You could pay a lot more for a different new unit,  or pay less for a fancier used one, but I recommend buying a new one of these.  If you're unhappy with it, Amazon would take it back.

Amazon has another new MM/MC unit, Xtremp 65001, for less than $50 you might consider.  Good luck.

61JSrSJZUzL._SL1206_.jpg

Hey Neil,

I can assure you that the turntable works flawlessly as tested on my R-N500 this afternoon.  A real treat in sound, and I'm so sad that I can't make it work in the console!  I'll look into that TC-760LC.  Money is tight right now, so I'll have to save for it, that will leave me open to even more options in the meantime.

• Like 1