Turntables...

The History Kid

With the help of some awesome forum members I've been able to get an amp and a CD player worked out for a console system that I'm building.  The last component piece that I need is a turntable.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  I don't have a ton of funds to work with at this point, but I'd like at least a decent turntable.  

Again - I am not opposed to used, but I've never sought a used turntable before, so I don't know what to look for.  Thoughts?

If not used, then maybe some cheaper entry level new.

What kind of a console do you have? I am asking just with regard any possible restrictions to mount a TT. Want any automation?

A lot of my friends are happy with entry level ProJects and Regas. ProJect maybe before Rega because they seem to be better made at that price point. ProjJect Carbon Debut comes to my mind. You have maybe more choices in there in USA, U-Turn?. That is entry level and many owners are happy with them.

If direct-drives are in the picture, than Audio-Technicas?

• Like 1

I might be able to work that out tomorrow.  There are obvious holes cut out inside the console where the old units were mounted, but I'm not opposed to sitting after market on top either.

I was considering Music Hall as well.

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I have a Technics SL-1500 you could have for $150 shipped to IA.  It's been serviced and would include a working cartridge.  Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

I was going to recommend a used non-1200 Technics table. Jump on this deal.  I have a 1200 and a 1400.  Great tables, but the 1200's have gotten very expensive. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys.  I may go that route.  I want to finish getting caught up with Bill first.  So after my finals next week.

Heard good things on the Technics brand, but never had the honor of trying it out myself.

• Like 1

I have a lower priced Technics table that sounds as good as higher cost, different brand tables and can say, a good used Technics with a good cartridge in a deal is a bargain, The 1500 is a step up from ny  Technics model.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Technics SL1500 is now ready. It passed the Shure Audio Obstacle Course Era III with flying colors.

I've attached photos.  The cartridge is an Audio Technica AT14sa, which is an excellent cartridge.  The stylus is in excellent condition.  I doubt you'll be disappointed.  Please reply by email and/or call me to let me know if you want to proceed.  Unfortunately. I'm down to two operating TTs and a parts TT.   There is a line of takers for this one, but you have right of first refusal.

20170527_153625 (Mobile).jpg

20170527_153631 (Mobile).jpg

20170527_153647 (Mobile).jpg

20170527_153658 (Mobile).jpg

Considering it's 40 years old, it does look good.  A little DeoxIt on the pots and it holds steady at both speeds.  The dustcover is good, but not perfect.  I've been tempted, but have never tried one of those kits to polish plastic headlamps.

• Like 1