What's All This Hubub About "New" Stuff?

The History Kid

I'm 29 and have always had used audio equipment, with only a few exceptions. My TX-NR646 is my first brand new receiver, all my previous ones were hand me downs from my dad (the turntable as well). I am happy to buy used speakers that sound far better than ANY new option for the same price. 

I do buy and sell a lot on Craigslist (mostly car stuff), but I've been having a lot of fun seeking out older Klipsch stuff. I just like finding things for cheap, I guess. I spend an inordinate amount of time at pick and pull yards, as well.

In the last two months, I've acquired

Black RF-5's

Cherry RF-5's

Black RC-7

RF-3 II and RC-3 II

RC-3 x2

Epic CF-2

The 3's are all for sale and I'm going to restore the Cherry RF-5's. So much more rewarding than buying big box store speakers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hsosdrummer said:

When you're 65 years old like I am, you don't have enough time left on Earth to spend it screwing-around with fixing stuff that doesn't work right when you buy it, so I buy NEW, period. New cars, new drums/cymbals/gongs, and new audio equipment, although I rarely buy audio gear — occasionally for my studio, but the only non-studio audio gear I've purchased in the last 21 years was a JBL 4641 subwoofer for my home theater back in 2014. (New, of course.)

And when I buy a new car I ALWAYS get the longest extended warranty I can. Every time I've purchased a new car since 1983 I also bought the extended warranty, and with EVERY car I've had to use it and it more than paid for itself. Hope that's not the case with my 2-month old 2017 Chevy Volt, but it's covered bumper-to-bumper for 100,000 miles. (Did I mention that I HATE screwing-around with fixing stuff?)

Of course, if I win the lottery I'm buying the cherry-ist 1963 Chevy Corvette split-window that I can find. (I know a very good mechanic and I'll pay HIM to screw-around with fixing it...)

Make sure you check out the serial number on that split window Corvette as there were a plethora of kits to convert 63's to split windows.

JJK

11 minutes ago, hsosdrummer said:

You mean 64s — all 63 coupes were split-windows.

Aren't you getting ahead of yourself? Remember - you First win the lottery, Then find the Corvette with proper serial #'s !!

Best luck with the lotto --!

64 - 67 coupes were not split Windows.  63s also had fake grilles in the hood coves.  64s had the coves in the hood without grilles.  65 - 67 had hoods without coves.  The point is it takes more than a bar in the rear window to disguise a 64 - 67 coupe as a 63.