Khorns?

Bmoelle

I have been told by Klipsch these are around 1950 speakers. I sent them numerous pictures or almost every angle inside and out. They believe them to be 1950 cabinets and the drivers replaced with 1970's ones. I have heard from others that these might actually be a sanctioned build. In any case, has anyone ever seen this type of Khorn build? I find no numbers on them. Just wondering since we have such a knowledge base on the forum. 293875f4ec777aad33933ea2c0ba1805.jpg. b0119ecd58d0b0efbcdeae4149926f35.jpg04d3d8dee396491b227053bbb91489c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9589a7481aafefa0be16e8074347b810.jpg0b2ce22c25d5aa54cb650da2b21567af.jpg0512fb0493c7881919f04ed6c6e31fd7.jpg

• Moderators

I know very little about the Khorns myself.  Others should be able to help you identify if they are actual Khorns, modified Khorns or maybe even Clones.  I'm wondering if they might be clones since there are not any labels?  Curious to find out myself.

Thx for all the help so far. Here is what I got from Klipsch:

Hi

I ran the pictures by a couple of the guys who have been here for 20 plus years. They both believe the cabinet to be authentic but believe that it is possible that the drivers and wiring was updated around the 70's. There is no way to verify this 100% but the wiring and some of the drivers don't seem like what we used in the 50's, more like what we used in the 70's. It is normal that the mid frequencies don't sound the same as what you are used to on a Klipschorn because the horn design on this age of cabinet is different. If the speakers each sound the same and are in good functioning condition we wouldn't recommend changing out any of the components.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Just added the woofer pics. The other person I messaged with mentioned they had real components. But you have ask everyone you can. Trying find out the history of these. Here is historian response. Here is the response from Klipsch historian.

Obviously they have legit components throughout. I have never seen that type of gasket used on a woofer access panel, nor the use of screws into the edge of the woofer motorboard. Also note that there are no floor-molding notches at the bottom of the tailboard. The "V-notches" in the motorboard are a pretty early design feature, and do follow early drawings. My guess is very good home-built's, possibly "sanctioned".

They are still very well made vintage speakers. I would have them cosmetically refinished by a pro.

• Like 1

I'm going with a 1960 to 1963 build date. Definitely home brew after seeing the woofer mount. I give that time frame because of the drivers & network plus, the top hat was constructed using 3/4 stock & that's post 1956. If the back chamber is still airtight you've got a nice pair of speakers but, not built by Klipsch.