12 Gauge wire on Woofers & 14 Gauge on K-402 Horns?

This is the wire I bought to hook up my Commercial La Scala's to my mc275 amp. It would have worked fine but then I got K-402 Horns & I'm bi-amping. The 12 Gauge works with the speaker connections on the Bass bins. It will not fit the connections on the 402 Horns. It won't fit through the hole in the connection. Can I use 12 gauge on the bass bins & 14 gauge on the K-402 Horns? If this isn't good then I'll just use all 14 Gauge. It's 30' to one of my speakers if I run the wire up & out of the way. If I have to I'll just run it across the floor & then it's 16-18'. 

Thank You!    Bill

logo.png
Order Online Or Call Today - 216.310.6555

Karma SS 12 Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet

Speaker_Wire-KAR-2_325w.JPG
Brand: KnuKonceptz
Product SKU: KAR12SS-100
Availability: In Stock
Weight: 9.0
Price: $69.99

QTY    Add to cart

• Karma SS 12 Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet
  • Speaker_Wire-KAR-1_62w.JPG
  • Speaker_Wire-KAR_62w.JPG
  • SP_pants_3_62w.JPG

Karma 12 Gauge Speaker Cable - Eliminate bad vibes to your speakers with Karma SS Kable from KnuKonceptz. These Tinned Oxygen Free Copper speaker cables provide superior resistance to noise compared to conventional speaker wire. The wire actually will repel noise due to its twisted construction. Each conductor is composed of 294 strands of the finest copper for superb audio accuracy and flexibility. Each strand has been tinned. The tin contributes to a better sound quality by minimizing the skin-effect (lowering the current jumps between the wire surfaces).

Price is per 100 foot - orders of 2 or more will be shipped in one continuous section (up to 1,000ft continuous available). Now shipping in Smoke/Silver PVC Jacket

Copyright © KnuKonceptz 2017

51 minutes ago, 32blownhemi said:

Can I use 12 gauge on the bass bins & 14 gauge on the K-402 Horns?

I've never used Knu wires, but they have a stellar reputation.  You are solid there.

When you say the 12 gauge "will not fit through the hole in the connection" are you using bare wire?  Is there some kind of connector you can use?

In any case I don't see any reason why mixing the speaker wire from 12 awg to 14 awg would make any noticeable audible difference in a 30' run.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-gauge

Below is not related to the above ^^^ link.

Blog-Image-Speaker-Cable-Distance-Chart_

• Like 2

I have Knu Kord ultraflex 10 gauges. So they are not Karma wires.

Terminated them with forks on one end and banana plugs on other. Have tried them with my Klipsch RF42II and Infinities Qb. Mid and high frequencies were ok on both speakers but low freqs were muddy. Replaced them with VanDenHul Clerwater and they are better in both my systems. High frequencies become more clear (Cristal clear :rolleyes:), mids are more articulated and lows are much more defined than with Knus, wich are now in the closet.

Just my 2 coins.

• Like 1

Thank You wvu80! Yes bare wire. I messed with it a little more & squeezed the wire ends together with pliers. Almost all the wire goes in the  connection hole. Way more wire than 14 gauge goes in. It's just not as 'sanitary' as I'd prefer. I'll attach pic's...    Bill

• Like 1

I don't know. I chose the wires based on many good reviews on the internet. I know 10 gauge is overkill but was going to try out of curiosity. Clerwaters are about the same money and they came up better for me. I did not see any measurements for Knu but Clearwaters are low capacitance ( 17.5 pF/m ) and resistance wires ( 0.9 Ohm/100m). Maybe that is what makes a difference here.

• Like 1

Knu - go for Home theatre - Speaker wire. You have 5 categories of wires. Mine are Kord. Maybe other types of wires are different ...10 gauge is a thick wire, that is why i terminated them. For old type speaker connection that has just a tiny holes even 12/14 gauge probably wont fit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 32blownhemi said:

I was on the Van Den Hul website... 

I checked them out too as I had not heard of them before.  They have dozens of choices!  And no prices.  Mr. Parlophone's claims of increased clarity are impressive.  That's what made me curious to look further.

http://www.vandenhul.com/

Here is what looks like their "basic" cable, The Clearwater, at $7 per foot:

https://audioactive.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/VDH-CORE-DEALER-RRP-PRICE-LIST-JUNE-2016.pdf

Flat twin-lead very flexible (AWG 14) loudspeaker cable with just one aim: the best
quality sound transmission for the lowest price possible. With transparent durable
HULLIFLEX®(*) jacke

What the heck is up with their obsession for "halogen free" and flowery names?

• Like 1

VanDenHul is a Dutch company specialized in variety of hi-fi products. One of them are cables, which they produce in many variations and for various purposes (speaker cables, interconnects…). The prices of cables vary from low (like Clearwater cable, for which I paid 50$ for 4 meters) to high (i.e. 3T The CUMULUS Limited Edition Hybrid – 2 meter pair is 4.700$) and they have more expensive cables than that. Their interconnects are very good. They also have very good turntable cartridges, but their mid-level Frog is 2,000$).

I would not go that far and say that difference between my KnuKonzeptz and VandenHul is impressive, but is audible to me.

I do not know what causes that effect but suspect that it might be connected with low capacitance and resistance of the wires, which is why I mentioned it. After all, we all tend to use some measurable data that are relevant and documented on the subject. Since the price for VanDenHuls was acceptable to me (as was with KnuKonzeptz) I gave them a try.

In 32blownhemi’s case that might be different. He mentioned acquiring the Karma Knukonzeptz and I have Kord Ultraflex. Might do some difference. His LaScalas are much more sensitive and altogether different speakers. And so on...

P.S. it is always amusing for me to go to speaker cable manufacturers site and read about the the terms the use, for example Hulliflex (http://www.vandenhul.com/cable-technologies/hulliflexr-pvc-halogen-free-insulation).

Why not just step down from 12 to 14 gauge the last few inches to the speaker connector? Make a pigtail with male/female connectors of some sort to make the transition. A few inches of a different gauge wire, and the associated hardware, aren't going to make a whit of difference with regard to performance.

You will not be able to hear a difference between the 12 and 14 g. wiring.  Do what is easy and keep it simple.  Also, there really is not any company with special wire other than cost.  This is not the place in the audio chain to make a huge gain.

• Like 1