Salt on watermelon: Yes or No

JBCODD

• Moderators
16 hours ago, thebes said:

First you need a watermelon that actually tastes like a watermelon. Watermelon has gone the way of the strawberry.  Pretty much inedible.

They grow alot of watermelons in this area, and they are usually very sweet, but even still i'm not crazy about them, it the wife or kids get one I might take a couple of bites.  It has to be really hot and the watermelon cold for me to eat any more than a couple of bites, salt on one is alright but not important to me.   

2 hours ago, dtel said:

They grow alot of watermelons in this area, and they are usually very sweet, but even still i'm not crazy about them, it the wife or kids get one I might take a couple of bites.  It has to be really hot and the watermelon cold for me to eat any more than a couple of bites, salt on one is alright but not important to me.   

I love watermelon.  I can, and have many times, eaten a whole one in one sitting (sans salt you barbarians), but the seedless ones lack in flavor, are mealy, have the off taste and texture of badly done cardboard.

Even the farmers market watermelons suck.  Indeed it's getting harder to find decent strawberries or tomatoes at a farmers market.

Why?  Because they buy the same seeds, use the same fertilizer and growing practices as the bigger corporate farmers. 

Now don't get me started about what they've done to peaches!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, thebes said:

I love watermelon.  I can, and have many times, eaten a whole one in one sitting (sans saly you barbarians), but the seedless ones lack in flavor, are mealy, have the off taste and texture of badly done cardboard.

Even the farmers market watermelons suck.  Indeed it's getting harder to find decent strawberries or tomatoes at a farmers market.

Why?  Because they buy the same seeds, use the same fertilizer and growing practices as the bigger corporate farmers. 

Now don't get me started about what they've done to peaches!

Wait until they get the machines to create them instantly like in Startrek from the Quantum Plasma.

JJK

• Moderators
3 hours ago, ssh said:

"Eighty miles from Hope; eight feet from Klipsch". This is The Best watermelon area. No salt, thank you.

SSH

I forgot, Hope is famous for watermelons, now how did I forget that, we went to the watermelon festival last summer ! :o :blush: A sure sign of old age :blush2:

On 10 May 2017 at 3:42 PM, JBCODD said:

It's not race or politics, but some may consider it a religion. I go with yes, salt on watermelon.

Let me me just say that in Cyprus and Greece

They eat watermelon with a salty Haloumi cheese, I myself have been eating watermelon this way since childhood 

Try it and you won't be disappointed ;)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

So i got all next week of internet remaining -- then i pull the plug on this chapter of life ... time to start thinking up my final post. Should I be nice or break every forum rule in the book?

If you have a smart phone - you have internet via your plan or free wifi while out and about 

Also a few hundred more posts and you reach the magic 10K mark

• Like 1

Just now, BigStewMan said:

Full Range is on top of the game ... i meant to post this in another thread; but, you quoted me before i could delete it.  oh well, no big secret.

Very good - now back on thread topic 

Now what is your preference salt or no salt with your watermelon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Don't you have a phone?  Are you announcing your final post, after which we will never hear from you again?  C'mon man. 

yes i have a phone.

Maybe if the forum gets more exciting i’ll return in the future.

But,  the immediate future is looking pretty busy. 

p.s. if i never came back, would you cry?