Salt on watermelon: Yes or No

JBCODD

Marty did have a point...many times, i’ll buy a watermelon and it’s tasteless (the fruit, not be buying it). Does that mean that it wasn’t ripe enough?

There have been times that i’ve actually sprinkled some sugar on it to give it some taste.

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

@oldtimer  i got your email address.  When i split from this place, my email address goes away. I have a new one that isn’t linked to this locale.  I send it to you...since you’re a Raider and all.

I hope you mean Raider as in Oakland.  My team, until they move to Las Vegas.  I'm not a fan.  Gut check when they do move though.

16 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Oakland is home.

Got it.  I rolled through there about 3 years ago.  Did some work at a Toyota dealership downtown.  Worked in Sac, Yuba City, Vallejo, Redding, etc. and, obviously, in Oakland.  12 lanes of parking lot is not my style.  Love the area, but way to many people for me.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Full Range is on top of the game ... i meant to post this in another thread; but, you quoted me before i could delete it.  oh well, no big secret.

That sucks

16 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Marty did have a point...many times, i’ll buy a watermelon and it’s tasteless (the fruit, not be buying it). Does that mean that it wasn’t ripe enough?

There have been times that i’ve actually sprinkled some sugar on it to give it some taste.

Now that I would try!  B)

• Like 1

Just remember, if it's "grown by", Driscoll or any of its subsidiaries, corporate shells etc., hell if it's even "grown" in the same state that has a Driscoll subsidiary, corporate shell etc., don't buy it, it ain't fruit!

I love fruit. Sadly I remember what it actually tastes like, and therefore I seldom eat it anymore. 

Anybody tried grapes lately?  Glad I get the compressed and fermented version.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Just bought my first watermelon of the year, grown in Texas, not bad, not great.  Cut it up and threw it in my Vitamix for a vodka cocktail mixer....very refreshing.

Tequila and watermelon with a dash of sriracha is nice.

5 hours ago, Evan_Phile said:

is that good?  People said that adding sugar would not make the acidity go away.

I put sugar in my pasta sauce.  I'm not sure if it makes the acidity go away or just hides it but it works.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I put sugar in my pasta sauce.  I'm not sure if it makes the acidity go away or just hides it but it works.

Mostly, Italians don't do that.  I have also heard that some do and some don't.  I've never had a sweet sauce in Italy, unlike a lot of experiences in the USA.  Look at the sugar content of common jar sauces, it's part of what makes them pretty gross.  The worst experience I ever had was when a step sister added sugar to a jarred sauce that already had sugar.  Of course, the noodles were done wrong and not melded to the sauce either.  I think she is afraid to (try to) make it now if I am there.