Salt on watermelon: Yes or No

JBCODD

19 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I have also heard that some do and some don't.

In my own family some do and some don't.  It's just a matter of preference.  I also use more paste than most as I like my sauce thicker.

On May 12, 2017 at 3:20 PM, oldtimer said:

Avoid the seedless varieties for sure. They bred out the taste with the seeds.

I do believe this is true. Which makes reason to Not put salt on watermelon. I mean really, what sense does it make to salt a sweet, juicy melon? OK - lets don't go there, please -- no pun was intended. 

8 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I put sugar in my pasta sauce.  I'm not sure if it makes the acidity go away or just hides it but it works.

Instead of sugar, take your vegetable peeler and shave some carrot into the sauce. A more natural way of reducing the asidic aspect of the sauce. I learned that from my friend's father who was born in Italy. Try it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RT FAN said:

Instead of sugar, take your vegetable peeler and shave some carrot into the sauce. A more natural way of reducing the asidic aspect of the sauce. I learned that from my friend's father who was born in Italy. Try it.

Interesting.  Thanks.

• Like 1

When in season, I finely chop a few figs and add them to the pasta gravy. These balance the splash of balsamic vinegar and add an interesting texture to the finished product. They also add magical antioxidant goodness, similar to oxygen free speaker cables.

(That should "stir the pot")

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RT FAN said:

Mirepoix
Cuisine
A mirepoix is diced vegetable cooked for a long time on a gentle heat without colour or browning, usually with butter or other fat or oil. It is not sautéed or otherwise hard cooked, the intention being to sweeten rather than caramelise. Wikipedia

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Interesting.  Thanks.

Marinara Sauce

207 Reviews

FN-TalentAvatar-Giada-De-Laurentiis2-800x800.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.91.91.jpeg
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis
Episode: Cooking for Kids
Marinara Sauce

Total:
1 hr 20 min
Active:
10 min
Yield:
2 quarts
Level:
Easy

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 small onions, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
  • 2 dried bay leaves

Directions

In a large casserole pot, heat the oil over a medium-high flame. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper, to taste. (The sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before using.)

Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Interesting.  Thanks.

now I would like you to try to pronounce Marinara Sauce

I think Carl has a better chance at it.

Absolutely true.  My Mom taught me this a long time ago.....

• Like 1