Cornwall crossover replacement intervals?

Robodude

Well, I will soon be taking inheritance of some Cornwalls !  What year I am not exact but the pristine condition and the age of the owner I am going to guess 1990's ? I think that puts them in the II range if I read right?

My question here is I have read the Caps need replacing at 20+ yrs ? does this sound reasonable and if so what about the rest. Inductors, transformers? I can ohm out a transformer but other then visual I have no way to test a Capacitor....This a good problem to have as these will be a gift! 

Way to excited

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Robodude said:

Well, I will soon be taking inheritance of some Cornwalls !  What year I am not exact but the pristine condition and the age of the owner I am going to guess 1990's ? I think that puts them in the II range if I read right?

My question here is I have read the Caps need replacing at 20+ yrs ? does this sound reasonable and if so what about the rest. Inductors, transformers? I can ohm out a transformer but other then visual I have no way to test a Capacitor....This a good problem to have as these will be a gift! 

Way to excited

Listen to them for 100 hours before you do anything 

• Like 1

Agreed.  Listen first. 

There is a supposed technique for "reforming" some capacitors that have been idle too long.  I'm not sure if it applies to all caps, but if left idle for long periods they lose their charge and don't work properly.  The inverse is that if in service regularly, they retain their performance.  I know this is waay too vague, but I cannot find a science-based explanation, just that Siemens and other respected firms recommend it. 

In my experience, speakers that have been used regularly still perform correctly on 30+ year old caps.  I hope so ;), because the caps in my La Scalas were replaced 18 years ago.