Klipsch RS-62ii vs KPT-1260H

Youthman

• Moderators

My room is 13' x 19' with 12' ceilings.  Currently using RS-62ii for side and back surrounds.  You can jump to where I show my current surround placement here.

I've never heard any of the Pro Series but am curious if the KPT-1260H would be an upgrade or would even work in my room.

The KPT has a single 1.75" tweeter vs dual 1" tweeters. 

The KPT dip down to only 65Hz vs 50Hz in the RS-62ii.

I have to say having a 12" driver for surrounds does sound rather exciting.  LOL

So my question is would the KPT 1260H be an upgrade in my setup or would I be better off keeping what I have?

• Moderators

I'm also assuming the KPT would be more of a direct radiating type speaker vs the wide dispersion type sound. 

If I bought the KPT's, I would use them as my side surrounds and sell a pair of the RS-62ii's and leave the other pair of RS-62ii's as Surround Back speakers.

Thoughts?

• Moderators

How does the RS-62ii sound, do they keep up well with the LaScala's ?

I only ask because I would think the 1260H could keep up easily, considering what it is designed for. 

The other thing is they are different designs and I would think will sound different, the more direct firing speaker may work well for sides with the other design being better for rears, as you said ?

If you do this, you could / maby try them out in the opposite position, direct in the rear and RS on the sides, whatever sounds best. is best.

If I were Youthman I probably would try it, I just hate to say that and you don't like the sound, this is what I would be worried about.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, dtel said:

How does the RS-62ii sound, do they keep up well with the LaScala's ?

They sound great and have no problem keeping up with the LaScalas.  It's curiosity that has me wondering if I just don't know what I'm missing.  LOL

6 hours ago, dtel said:

I only ask because I would think the 1260H could keep up easily, considering what it is designed for. 

There's no doubt they are designed for output for a very large venue.

6 hours ago, dtel said:

The other thing is they are different designs and I would think will sound different, the more direct firing speaker may work well for sides with the other design being better for rears, as you said ?

I think that's my biggest question.  Will they sound great in my room and in my setup?  I think they would but I realize the sound will be more directional.  Not sure if that's good or bad.  I know there are guys that hate wide dispersion (aka sound sprayers) for surrounds.  I know it's all about preference, I've just never heard any of the Cinema Series.

6 hours ago, dtel said:

If you do this, you could / maby try them out in the opposite position, direct in the rear and RS on the sides, whatever sounds best. is best.

Yes, I'm just not sure how they mount.  For my side surrounds, the left surround is mounted with a heavy duty drywall anchor and a keyhole, the right surround is supported by this custom mount that was fabricated several years ago for me when I had RS-35's by @WakeJunkie since one of my side surrounds is mounted directly in front of a double sliding glass door that leads to the Lanai.  Not sure if I would have to modify this support to be able to mount the KPT.  It worked perfectly for the RS-52, RS-62 and my current RS-62ii.

Likewise, wakejunkie also made me these custom wooden mounts for the rear surrounds that use a French cleat design.  Again, not sure if the would work with the KPT.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, dtel said:

If I were Youthman I probably would try it, I just hate to say that and you don't like the sound, this is what I would be worried about.

Trust me, I'm feeling the same way.  Fortunately, I'm not an audiophile and I don't have critical hearing.  If the sound envelopes me during a movie and it makes me feel like I'm there, I'm good. 

The guy is a 2hr drive from me but it might be fun either way just to go and hear his setup.

01010_b51wsgO4CeM_600x450.jpg

00000_bRN58LO6FUc_1200x900.jpg

7 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I'll send you a text.  It will be a few days, the guy is working.

I am in Georgia visiting my mom for a few days so just let me know and I will see if I can join you.

Bill

My view is that the pro size and design is wonderful if you had a huge theater.  The side to side distance is not great, and even front to back is not that far.  I think they would be a huge benefit if it were a giant room, as they are designed to cover a broad area at a distance and have a lot of capability.   I think you will like them less personally but I have not heard them.  Over at AVSForum they often use DIY surrounds that are angled and have one driver, but the largest they go to even in those situations is a 10" woofer.  I don't personally think you'll get benefit from them that you like.  In a giant theater where the subs cross over low, these might be a really good fit.  In a home theater where you are definitely not going to cross over at 50 or 60hz, I don't think it will help and may hurt the overall ambience.  

Getting your subs to an almost flat starting point in the room I think would make you a lot happier than changing the surrounds.  There's a ton of audible difference when the booms are natural and not room-induced (imo).  Just my 2c.  Selling the RS62s, if you are willing to ship, will take all of 5 seconds.  They are incredibly popular and hard to find anymore.  $500+ per pair imo easily.  

I would try to keep the RS until you brought the KPT home and tried them out. Like Robo said, the KPT might not mend well in a smaller theater, since they're designed for a larger room.....but so are the La Scalas!

Tough choice I'd say, but with you getting a good deal....why not. The KPT would definitely look better, more professional, has a "serious" look to it.

At lower volume, would the RS have a better SQ?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RoboKlipsch said:

My view is that the pro size and design is wonderful if you had a huge theater.

I believe they would too.  Wondering if they would sound great even in a small room.  FWIW, my son has RF-7 and RC-64 in a 12x12 bedroom and it sounds awesome.  Would they sound better in a larger room, absolutely.  But he surely isn't complaining.

I think you will like them less personally but I have not heard them.

Yeah, unfortunately we are only guessing how they might sound as we have never heard them personally.  Curious if anyone has any experience with them or similiar Cinema Surrounds in a HT environment.

Getting your subs to an almost flat starting point in the room I think would make you a lot happier than changing the surrounds.

I have not done any REW measurements.  Really have no time to learn it right now.  Too many other projects going on. 

Selling the RS62s, if you are willing to ship, will take all of 5 seconds.  They are incredibly popular and hard to find anymore.

I already have a buyer lined up should I decide to move in this direction.

$500+ per pair imo easily.  

Easily.

My thoughts are the Cinema speakers will be attenuated to fit the room auto Eq.  This is OK for the most part.  The bass driver is not where things should be focused in this case.  Michael has  multiple subs, so the important variable is what the Hi frequency driver will bring to the table.  I switched from the RS type surround to a direct radiator and did not see that great a change.  Robo Klipsch makes a good point on the room size and expected results.  I like dtel's suggestion that these speakers can work as side and rear surrounds.  I would try them in both locations..

I'm using the Klipsch 5 1/2 in-wall for rear surrounds.  Are they to small for the rest of the setup, no.  With multiple subs, I don't need the bass capabilities and have recently upped the system global XO to 100 Hz.  In most systems, the weakest speaker is the surround or at least that should be the correct way.  Now, we are strictly talking about HT.  Is the higher XO a detriment and possible sub localization?  No, not when using multiple subs around the room.  Do the other speakers bass capabilities matter?  No much in a room with 4 subss.  Will the Hi Fi driver of the cinema speaker bring more to the table, I don't know.  I do know that surround speakers are easier to move in the HT than the Mains and center and we should take advantage of that.  

Excellent points all around.  I think you nailed my view DDJ, which is that having low end in the surrounds is of limited value if any value at all. 

It's also a good point to try them perhaps on the back wall as I think that would be where more benefit will come from.

I guess in the end I can't imagine moving away from the Klipsch bipolars, they are my favorite speakers to date.

In a big theater, there are multiple surrounds just for the side surrounds, as there is a big theater.  Each surround needs a lot of precise directivity to integrate into the theater and the other surrounds.  In a home setting, I see the bipolars as a better/easier solution to multiple rows of seats than the Pro version.  Precision of placement will be important with the pro ones vs the bipolars.

Youth I hear you sir and understand where you're headed.  I'll go right back to it though, I , know how busy you are, but to vastly improve your theater there's a lot of room to flatten the subs without spending a lot....a miniDSP of some sort inserted into the signal chain will allow you to EQ them much flatter, giving you especially a nicer bottom end.  The RSWs are plenty of power they just need a little tweaking....in DDJ's basement there are subs everywhere!  In your theater they are all up front, which is awesome, but seems to require a bit more flattening in order to make it great.