Sony 5.2 Receiver running 7 Klipsch Speakers

kfree321

I am currently running a 5.1 system on my Sony STR DH550 receiver. I have two Klipsch RF-10 up front, two Klipsch RB 10 (50 Watt) bookshelf for rears, and a Klipsch RC-42 ii for center.  Along with a Klipsch SWV sub.  (Note: not sure if it matters but the RF-10's and RB-10's were bought on Newegg and look exactly like RF-42 ii and RB-42 ii respectively. Rumors on reddit are they are re-labeled by mistake)

I was just given two Klipsch RS-10 surround speakers (50 Watt) from a buddy of mine.  (Note: he also got on Newegg and they appear exactly like RS-41 ii)

My question is, can I wire up both the RB 10's and the RS 10's into the rear surround jacks?  From what I have read online, it is possible, and the only draw back will be lower sound being put out of the 4 speakers.  Is this true?  I am ok if that is the only consequence, but do not want to do any harm to either the speakers or the receiver.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

I know it is not the prime situation, but once funds become available I will get a 7 channel receiver in order to properly run the system.

Thanks for your time

• Moderators

By adding 2 speakers to one speaker out, you will change the ohm load from 8ohm to 4ohm and will cause the amp to run hotter.  I personally believe a properly setup 5.1 is better than a non properly setup 7.1

• Like 2

Thanks for the input Youthman.

My main concern was to make sure that I wasn't going to be doing any damage to either the speakers or the receiver hooking it up that way.

If that's the case, I will go ahead and test both ways and see which sounds better to my ears.  Either way it is going to be for the short term until I can find a reasonably priced 7 channel + receiver.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, kfree321 said:

My main concern was to make sure that I wasn't going to be doing any damage to either the speakers or the receiver hooking it up that way.

I cannot verify that it will not do damage to your receiver.  I guess it depends if your receiver can handle that type of load.  All I can say is the receiver was not designed to handle a pair of speakers on one speaker terminal so proceed with caution.

I'd recommend passing on this experiment and just save for a decent 7.1 amp for all of the reasons mentioned above.  Not to mention the Sony AVR's are already extremely underpowered.  You might run into some issues on those surround channels.

I'd suggest looking at Accessories4Less or your local CraigsList (eBay) for a new AVR that handles 7.1 natively.