Destination Audio Speakers - Jubilee Lookalikes

kwingylee

I heard a pair of these at AXPONA 2017, made in Elk Grove Village, IL. Did anyone else on the forum heard these? I know Greg Roberts of Volti Audio fame did. By the way, they sounded great! Very well balance through out the small room. Price is $95K/pair. There is a tweeter mounted in the outer horn mouth of each speaker. I believe they are mirror image that way. The grills that covered the horn openings are reminiscent of the old Sonus Faber speaker line (eg threads).

Kwing

sac 024.JPG

Oops.... sorry.  Maybe we can discuss some of the other horn systems at axpona, such as this from Natural Sound. I actually did a mock up design similar to this but using Altec biflex woofers, a tad td2001 with a 1000hz lecleach horn and really like the results....

IMG_5331.JPG

For $95k I could buy a pair of stock Jubilees, get them veneered, and then use the remainder for a house to put them in.  Volti's Vittora is a nice-looking speaker -- it looks like a Belle and a KHorn had a one-night stand.  But a fully tricked out pair with the ELF cabinet will set you back $30k: I'd rather get a vintage pair of KHorns, refresh the crossovers and drivers, have them refinished, then biamp them and have equally good or better sound for around 1/3 of the price.   Heck, I'd put my Fortes up against most $10k speakers and I've spent around $850 total on them.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kwingylee said:

Oops.... sorry.  Maybe we can discuss some of the other horn systems at axpona, such as this from Natural Sound.

I actually did a mock up design similar to this but using Altec biflex woofers, a tad td2001 with a 1000hz lecleach horn and really like the results....

Why would you come onto a Klipsch Discussion Forum and make competitors to the Klipsch speakers the subject of the thread?

Then after Mr. jwc commented that a similar thread he started on the same topic was locked, your response is change the discussion to another brand of speaker just because it has a horn in it?

Your second sentence where you comment on a DIY speaker you made I don't consider "out-of-bounds" for discussion because Klipsch, Inc does not compete in the DIY world.  DIY has no brand recognition, DIY is mostly a one-off, the finished product is not as sophisticated as a professionally designed speaker, no warranty, etc.  That seems fair game for discussion, maybe in the Lounge sub-forum.

I don't mean to throw anyone under the bus, there obviously is no ill intent on the part of the OP or anyone making comments in this thread.  I'm just reading between the lines due to the locked thread Mr. jwc commented on.  I hope my observations are something to consider, that's all.

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Why would you come onto a Klipsch Discussion Forum and make competitors to the Klipsch speakers the subject of the thread?

Then after Mr. jwc commented that a similar thread he started on the same topic was locked, your response is change the discussion to another brand of speaker just because it has a horn in it?

Your second sentence where you comment on a DIY speaker you made I don't consider "out-of-bounds" for discussion because Klipsch, Inc does not compete in the DIY world.  DIY has no brand recognition, DIY is mostly a one-off, the finished product is not as sophisticated as a professionally designed speaker, no warranty, etc.  That seems fair game for discussion, maybe in the Lounge sub-forum.

I don't mean to throw anyone under the bus, there obviously is no ill intent on the part of the OP or anyone making comments in this thread.  I'm just reading between the lines due to the locked thread Mr. jwc commented on.  I hope my observations are something to consider, that's all.

Wow, sorry for offending your sensibilities. I don't think its unusual at all for one manufacturer to "comment" on other manufacturer's products. I have heard it more than once. Mr JWC apparently thinks its ok to bring it up the first time. Had I known about his attempt, I would have refrained.

On the second point, why not? We are talking about horn systems presented at AXPONA 2017. Is it offensive to solicit opinions of modern horn systems?

Thirdly I am glad you don't think its out of bounce for me to comment that I have tried similar designs myself, with very good results.

Chill Bro.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kwingylee said:

Wow, sorry for offending your sensibilities.

No need for me to chill, I am quite OK thank you.

You did not offend my sensibilities.  That's why I was clear to say in plain language " I don't mean to throw anyone under the bus, there obviously is no ill intent on the part of the OP ..."  It sounds as if you took offense.  I apologize, that was not my intent.

You are OK, Mr. jwc is OK, other forum members who made posts are OK, it's not a big deal.  As I said, I was just throwing that out there as something to consider.

These speaker are not Klipsch competition. 99% of us would never consider buying these speakers and we should just keep the discussion simple and not read things into it.  Talking about the audio expo is not taboo.  Bad behavior is taboo.  Let's police ourselves and no one will need to jump into the thread.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kwingylee said:

Wow, sorry for offending your sensibilities. I don't think its unusual at all for one manufacturer to "comment" on other manufacturer's products. I have heard it more than once. Mr JWC apparently thinks its ok to bring it up the first time. Had I known about his attempt, I would have refrained.

On the second point, why not? We are talking about horn systems presented at AXPONA 2017. Is it offensive to solicit opinions of modern horn systems?

Thirdly I am glad you don't think its out of bounce for me to comment that I have tried similar designs myself, with very good results.

Chill Bro.

I'm all up for reviewing different speakers, different manufactures, describing how they sound and perform. It's what makes us more educated and helps us separate the good from the bad.

However.....

This is a Klipsch forum and it is paid for with Klipsch dollars. Klipsch is kind enough to let us use this property and even have helped with various users DIY posts along the way.

You posted speakers from a manufacture that arrogantly and blatantly rips off a klipsch product and calls it their own. Volti even goes so far as to copy and then patent a driver size with his Jube knockoffs. I wish I was joking....

I own a pair of Jubilees and I'm very happy to know my money went to the inventors, engineers and builders that made them.

Now that you know "some" of that history, this is why you may get edgy responses....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jwc said:

Did you hear them?

Yes I heard and like them. Kind of lay back compare to the Jubs. I like the smoothness the midrange horn and the fact they are mirror imaged with the tweeters at the outer part of the bass horn. Artto was with me but was less impressed. They looked very nice, unlike the utilitarian look of the Jubs. But then for $95k, they better be.

I like all of the horn based systems at the show this year. For example, the Sadurni's for $40k looked and sounded excellent.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:50 PM, jwc said:

U got a picture of this?

Well I don't. The designer had to shine a flash light to the left side of the bass horn to show that the tweeters are mounted behind the grill, to the underside of the top.

23 hours ago, kwingylee said:

Well I don't. The designer had to shine a flash light to the left side of the bass horn to show that the tweeters are mounted behind the grill, to the underside of the top.

For those in the Chicago area, The Chicago Audio society will be hosting a meeting featuring the Destination Audio Speakers and Tube electronics next Sunday at the Courtyard by Marriott Woodale 900 N Wood Dale Rd. from 1-6pm. I just got the invite and am not personally affiliated with them.

For the record, I am the former owners of K-Horns and two sets of LaScalas. My main system today is inspired by Klipsch and as soon as I move into a bigger place, will order a set of Jub bass horns. I like my ESS tweeter towers and LeCleach/TAD mids just fine.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2017 at 9:59 PM, derrickdj1 said:

These speaker are not Klipsch competition. 99% of us would never consider buying these speakers 

I'd say 99.99% of us couldn't afford them.

I've always wondered who spends this kind of money on audio equipment.  I have spent a bit under $3k on my main room system ($400 for the DAC, $850 or so for the Fortes + mods, and $1650 for a refurbed McIntosh MA6200 integrated amp) and I am pretty satisfied with my listening experience.  If I had the spare cash I can see how spending $4k on a pair of new Cornwall IIIs might pay off in significantly better sound or how Khorns or Jubs could take it to a whole new level that might be worth the money.  But I'm not sure how these $95k speakers would be ten times better than a $9.5k pair of Jubilees.  At some point you start running into the law of diminishing returns: I'm not sure where that is but I'm pretty sure it's well under $95,000.

• Like 1

One thing that surprised me was how laid back the destination audio speakers compare to the Jubs. That part was immediately apparent. The mids and highs sounded very open and smooth. Also unlike the Jubs,  there was no slam to speak of. 

My comments have to be tempered with "under show conditions and listening to audiophile music". The point is even though they look like Jubs, I don't think anyone would mistake the two as having the same lineage in any blind tests imho..... I do think they look great, sound good and no, I wouldn't pay $95k for them or any audio gear. Rather buy real estate with the money or pay down my home.

On 5/12/2017 at 8:57 PM, totalcomfort said:

What is that saying?? Imitation is a form of flattery? Just funny they copy so many things Paul did but can NEVER do what Paul did?

Hmmmmm. True. But I do believe it was Roy Delgado that did all of the work on the K402 and most of the grunt work on the Jubilee Bass bin, since Paul was in his 90's at the time.

• Like 1