Destination Audio Speakers - Jubilee Lookalikes

kwingylee

21 hours ago, KenazFilan said:

But I'm not sure how these $95k speakers would be ten times better than a $9.5k pair of Jubilees.

Here's a thought... Obviously they are not.

Bullshit in audio translates to easy-money, both in the shop and at the cash register. For this reason, bullshit attracts snake-oil salesmen, lazy-*** copycats, and other worthless, bottom feeders looking to profit from the efforts and ingenuity of others. Please correct me if I am wrong--but I do not believe PWK pursued excellence in audio in order to make money and get rich (yes, business is business; but, profit was incidental; and not the PRIMARY motivation). Rather, he was compelled by reasons less commercial: like, "I want to make the best flippin' speaker that will fit in an average living room"-- ?? Am I close? PWK had integrity. PWK was an artist. The fact that some of his work presents rather spartan aesthetics speaks to the man's integrity--and his distaste for inefficiency, on any level.

I'm not done.

Imagine all these copycat types, and snake-oil salesmen had to live on a separate planet all-by-themselves (nothing to prey upon, but each other). If not Hell to begin with, it soon would be. These miserable people get by in this world because others are doing-it-right. Parasites.

21 hours ago, KenazFilan said:

I've always wondered who spends this kind of money on audio equipment.

Ignorant people, at the mercy of self-interested salesmen.

51 minutes ago, Endo said:

Imagine all these copycat types, and snake-oil salesmen had to live on a separate planet all-by-themselves (nothing to prey upon, but each other).

Stasis.  Or a consumer driven circle jerk of sorts, where they rip each other off, wealth transfers around, but the society fails to advance.  I fear we may actually be on that planet already.

• Like 1

To my point: PWK had a patent on tuning rifle barrels, yes? Nobody had ever thought to do that before. That is exactly the kind of surprising serendipity that results from intelligence following its own curiosity. Einstein wasn't motivated by money, or power--although that stuff did follow.

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 7:26 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Hmmmmm. True. But I do believe it was Roy Delgado that did all of the work on the K402 and most of the grunt work on the Jubilee Bass bin, since Paul was in his 90's at the time.

Not trying to take anything at all away from Roy in Jubilee development, since PWK himself and Roy were the KEY PLAYERS....BUT, there was somebody ELSE who did quite a lot of the "grunt work" on the Jubilee bass bin, in all of its prototypes/changes/rebuilds/etc.  He also laid up a number of variants of the fiberglass high/mid horns as changes occurred in its initial development.  He worked "hand-in-hand" with Roy and PWK throughout the development of the Jubilee speaker (as did others).  Unfortunately for Mike, he had refused to move to Indianapolis when corporate told him he would have to do so, and was eventually "let go" from his position in the Hope R&D department not very long after the Jubilee development under PWK's guidance was completed and PWK himself passed away.  His first name is "Mike", and we have been buddies since we were in high school at Prescott together.  A couple of years after Klipsch let him go, he built a few pairs of Jubilees for people who were wanting them, but could not buy them through Klipsch at the time.  Please keep in mind that Klipsch R&D has always had a number of employees...some are engineers, while some are worker bees, and the work load is shared within the department...to include the "grunt work".  The Jubilee bass bin prototypes went through a number of revisions, and almost all of those revisions required a COMPLETELY new rebuild of the bass bin in order to incorporate those revisions, so that it could be tested and either meet the design parameters or require more revisions in order to get to that point.  That is the nature of things in the R&D realm.  Mike and I would sit and talk about the changes every time I visited him...so I was constantly hearing about the "what and why" of the Jubilee bass bin development.  Because both Mike and I shared a mutual admirable respect for PWK, and each other...we tended to key on his R&D work in our conversations whenever we visited each other.  Some of his most prized possessions are two framed photos he has...one with PWK, Roy and himself in front of the finally-completed Jubilee, and another of PWK and himself shaking hands in front of the completed Jubilee.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

oth Mike and I shared a mutual admirable respect for PWK, and each other...we tended to key on his R&D work in our conversations whenever we visited each other.  Some of his most prized possessions are two framed photos he has...one with PWK, Roy and himself in front of the finally-completed Jubilee, and another of PWK and himself shaking hands in front of the completed Jubilee.

I'm toasting to you and Mike as we speak. You for providing the missing information, and for Mike, the unsung hero.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2017 at 7:27 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Tell me more about the ESS towers, please.

Nothing special, just 3 ess amt tweeters stacked atop each other to form a tower. Said tweeters are connected in series and triamped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwingylee said:

Nothing special, just 3 ess amt tweeters stacked atop each other to form a tower. Said tweeters are connected in series and triamped.

Haha: I had to laugh at this one "three tweeters in series and triamped" I'm sure they are...not!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kwingylee said:

I think he means they are part of a three way system that is tri amped.

17 hours ago, kwingylee said:

A picture would be nice because that tweeter, which I hope is the original one from the AMT 1 series is pretty amazing for being NOT a horn.

What is the crossover point. Also assuming that in series you read between 12-18 ohms?

2 hours ago, sunnysal said:

I may have missed a post on this but have we established that the bass bins are jubilee clones?  if so  I wish Klipsch would go after them....anyone can confirm this for me? thanks, T

The Jubilee bass bins, in and of themselves, were never patented by Klipsch...because they couldn't be.

• Like 1

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 9:30 PM, Endo said:

To my point: PWK had a patent on tuning rifle barrels, yes? Nobody had ever thought to do that before. That is exactly the kind of surprising serendipity that results from intelligence following its own curiosity. Einstein wasn't motivated by money, or power--although that stuff did follow.

Actually, it was rifled artillery tubes...he got that patent while he was on active duty in WWII at the Southwest Proving Grounds (where the Hope factory is today).

Jamboree is somewhat different.  Interesting....There is a horn in the Klipsch Museum just like the Jamboree.  Made by RCA sometime in the 1930s.

Jamboree patent by Dana Moore unless Volti bought it from him.