Chorus 1 and 2 upgrades

Ljk

I have crossover repair kits coming from Bob crites for my chorus 1 and 2s. What shoud I look at, repair with the speakers out. Please be specific, with product names and pic are always nice. I would like to get everything I need before the repair kits get here so down time will be short. Thanks!

5 hours ago, T2K said:

What's wrong with the crossovers?

Just figured they are getting old and want to try and have a trouble free system, fix and repair any problems. Was wondering what you guys used on your oak veneer,  best favorite product. Read where these cabinets could have leaks? How would I go about finding and fixing,, leaks usually around speaker connection? Lining cabinet with poly or some other material? Any other upgrades or suggestion to improve the looks or sound of the speakers. Thanks!

5 hours ago, T2K said:

What's wrong with the crossovers?

You mean besides being 25-35 years old?

The Crites kits should come with all the parts you need and instructions. I'd recommend buying the titanium tweeter diaphragms as well and you should be good.

59 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

You mean besides being 25-35 years old?

The Crites kits should come with all the parts you need and instructions. I'd recommend buying the titanium tweeter diaphragms as well and you should be good.

The 2,s I bought about a month ago and already have the tt upgrade, I have a set coming from Bob  for the 1,s.. In the process of building a chorus 1.5 center.channel, I have a k 79 tweeter, k 61 mid, and new kappa c 15 inch. Bob is sending me a half chorus 2 crossover repair kit to build an xover for center channel. Still have to order the inductors and such from parts express. Also been looking for a klipsch 12 sw II in oak, I have one would like another and have a matching pair.

The tt upgrade is for the tweeters only, read where some people do not like tt upgrade on the mids? Would it be worth it to replace mid  diaphragms with original?  Is there a way to tell if they need replacing?

That's the question. How do you know that the speakers need any attention? I wouldn't be swayed that they do. People here have slowly been convinced overs years that crossovers need attention/modification.

Always listen to the speakers themselves for a period of time and then you decide if they need attention. I owned both Chorus and Chorus II's that I bought from original owners and were in pristine condition and needed nothing. The amplification that I used with both made a difference in their sound. I did replace the tweeter diaphragms in the Chorus with titanium and wasn't crazy about them.

I also had 2 SW12II subs and they, after careful adjustment, blended well the Chorii.

Good luck.

I put titanium midrange diaphragms in my Forte I.  They gave me better definition and soundstaging, but I noticed harshness and fuzziness on some songs.  That disappeared when I installed a low pass filter to recreate the phenolic diaphragm's natural roll-off at the top end.  For me it was worth it but some people don't care for the titanium sound.  

The chorus I,s sound fine except  on some music they sound scratchy? I was thinking maybe the caps are causing the xovers to be off?  Hsd the 2,s for about a month and have not hooked up. Curious how big is your room, do 2 sw 12,s fill it up?

9 minutes ago, KenazFilan said:

I put titanium midrange diaphragms in my Forte I.  They gave me better definition and soundstaging, but I noticed harshness and fuzziness on some songs.  That disappeared when I installed a low pass filter to recreate the phenolic diaphragm's natural roll-off at the top end.  For me it was worth it but some people don't care for the titanium sound.  

The harshness came after the tt Upgrade? Did you design the low pass filter for your fortes?

The harshness came after the titanium upgrade and I built the LP filter Bob Crites designed for titanium midranges.  (I've attached it here).  

Crites recommends against installing titanium midranges as he doesn't like the sound: I found that his low pass filter took care of the problems with my system but I can also see why some people prefer phenolic diaphragms.  Even with the LP filter titanium diaphragms are very unforgiving: poorly recorded material is reproduced with every artefact and problem glaring at you in the foreground.  

heresy II crossover upgrade.jpg

46 minutes ago, Ljk said:

The chorus I,s sound fine except  on some music they sound scratchy? I was thinking maybe the caps are causing the covers to be off?  Hsd the 2,s for about a month and have not hooked up. Curious how big is your room, do 2 sw 12,s fill it up?

My room is 16x20x9 with three walls, open to kitchen and dining room. One sub, properly set up, is probably enough. But when you have 2 why would you just use one? ;)

The Chorus already has a forward mid range when compared to the forte and the output on the titanium mid drivers are about +1db over stock. I could see how the slightly recessed mids on the forte could benefit from the TI mid but in my opinion the extra output is a little too much with the Chorus models so I would not recommend them. I would not worry about replacing the mids on the either Chorus models unless they are not working properly after you rebuild the crossovers.

11 hours ago, KenazFilan said:

Thanks for all the answers, for now I am not going to mess with the mids . Tweeters and xovers should be good once I get them upgraded. I bought some watco oil to put on  the cabinets and rope caulk to go on the horns. I will have to work with the single sw sub for now, first experience it did not fill up the room (appox.12 x18 x 9.) I really did not set it up right so I will have take more time to get it right. (Still going to look for a deal on another one) Read pros and con about bracing the cabinets but for now decided not too. 

For side speakers  I have 1 kp250 and 1 kp250 II. I bought 2 k 79 tweeters one for the center channel and one will go in the kp 250 II so all speakers will have k 79 tweeters. When I replace the k 79 what can I use to seal the tweeter? I do have a coffee table sub box I,ve been working but that is taking a back seat till I get the rest of the system up and running. 

So any other comments suggestions, am I missing anything?