Klipsch Rp-260F & Pioneer vsx-921 need to crank the volume up?

Spirit_Rises

Hi guys

finally i received my new rp-260f speakers.They are rock solid and gorgeous.The problem is i normally listen my music around -30 and -25 but with the klipsch speakers i had to raise the volume to -10db in order the achive enough sound.Why is it like this way with the klipsch?

is it my pio vsx-921 insufficient to drive the 260Fs or is it something else?

thnx in advance

I would expect the opposite.  Because Klipsch speakers have higher efficiency than most, cranking up the volume knob usually isn't necessary.  Your RP-260F's have a 97 sensitivity.  What speakers are you coming from and were you running them on the same VSX-921?  Or is this a whole new system?

1 hour ago, pbphoto said:

I would expect the opposite.  Because Klipsch speakers have higher efficiency than most, cranking up the volume knob usually isn't necessary.  Your RP-260F's have a 97 sensitivity.  What speakers are you coming from and were you running them on the same VSX-921?  Or is this a whole new system?

i was using those speakers.I just replaced just the  two floor stands.i will use the jamo's floor stands for surround and the little ones for surround back until i complete the klipsch set.

and yes pioneer vsx-921 is my only Avr for now.so you are saying the vsx-921 is sufficient enough to drive klipsch 260Fs ?

The Klipsch should play louder than the Jamo's, all else being equal.  I'm not familiar with that particular AVR, but the stats show 80W per channel for 2-channel, probably much less for 7.1.  If the Pioneer had enough power for the Jamo's then it should have plenty for the Klipsch.

2 hours ago, pbphoto said:

The Klipsch should play louder than the Jamo's, all else being equal.  I'm not familiar with that particular AVR, but the stats show 80W per channel for 2-channel, probably much less for 7.1.  If the Pioneer had enough power for the Jamo's then it should have plenty for the Klipsch.

if it has plenty for klipsch why do i have to crank the level up more than i crank the level up for jamos?

22 hours ago, pbphoto said:

That's the big question.  Not sure.  What model Jamo's do you have?  Did any settings change on the AVR when you connected the new Klipsch and moved the Jamo's to the rears?

Jamo e350 floor stand  15 years old speakers :) 

By the way is my avr really sufficient for the klipsch 260F?

Yes, IMHO your AVR has enough power for the Klipsch, which are 5db more efficient than the Jamo.  When you hooked up the Klipsch, did you make any changes to the settings on the AVR or re-run some sort of calibration with a microphone?

3 hours ago, pbphoto said:

Yes, IMHO your AVR has enough power for the Klipsch, which are 5db more efficient than the Jamo.  When you hooked up the Klipsch, did you make any changes to the settings on the AVR or re-run some sort of calibration with a microphone?

i havent make any changes.Today i made the calibration again.And i think it is stil the same.it says the speakers are 140watt

my avr cant even make 140 watt with 2ch. 

Some avrs will turn the trim on the speakers to the lowest value possible when they detect highly efficient speakers during setup. That happened in my case. Check your trims for possible adjustment, see if they significantly differ in comparison to the previous setup.

Also you may have less wattage per channel now that you have sorrounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i sit 3 meters away from the speakers and the correction done by the AVR is okay.

listening are is around 20m²-25m².

i didn't know anything about trim until you say guys.Found a forum that explains it and i am checking it out.

okay,i have checked the TRIM values for my each speaker and Front Left and Front Right (the klipsch speakers) were set at -1.5db.

My center was +0.5
My surround right and left were +4.0db
My surround backs were at 0db

is increasing the db cause any damage to any of the componenets?

and is setting them at -1.5db for front speakers normal by default?i mean the behaviour of the avr ,is it normal?what level should i increase it to for the front klipsch rp-260Fs?

and by the way guys; when i take a look at the Fine channel level settings  the front speakers are set at -3.0db  but the trim is at -1.5db so what is the difference between the TRIm and Channel level?
thanks in advance guys

i sit 3 meters away from the speakers and the correction done by the AVR is okay.

listening are is around 20m²-25m².

i didn't know anything about trim until you say guys.Found a forum that explains it and i am checking it out.

okay,i have checked the TRIM values for my each speaker and Front Left and Front Right (the klipsch speakers) were set at -1.5db.

My center was +0.5

My surround right and left were +4.0db

My surround backs were at 0db

is increasing the db cause any damage to any of the componenets?

and is setting them at -1.5db for front speakers normal by default?i mean the behaviour of the avr ,is it normal?what level should i increase it to for the front klipsch rp-260Fs?

and by the way guys; when i take a look at the Fine channel level settings  the front speakers are set at -3.0db  but the trim is at -1.5db so what is the difference between the TRIm and Channel level?

thanks in advance guys

Honestly, I would say those trims levels are within normal range. Adjusting the trim will not damage anything, however it will through your auto calibration settings off, depending on the degree of adjustment.

One other thing to check, check to make sure you didn't accidentally switch the positive and negative on one or more of your speakers, or on the back terminals of the receiver. Wiring one speaker out of phase can cause cancellation, and a perceived reduction in output. I have made this mistake on more than one occasion.

Did u get a phase error prompt during auto calibration?

Once you have ensure that your speakers are wired correctly, also make sure your sub is in phase. Best way for this is to play a familiar track and switch the phase knob on the the sub from one position to the next, to see witch phase setting produces the highest audible volume in the base region. Often the right position produces the best base output.

You may also want to check your avr to see if you accidentally enabled something the equivalent of knight mode, or some other bass/treble reduction feature.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, DubPlate said:

Honestly, I would say those trims levels are within normal range. Adjusting the trim will not damage anything, however it will through your auto calibration settings off, depending on the degree of adjustment.

One other thing to check, check to make sure you didn't accidentally switch the positive and negative on one or more of your speakers, or on the back terminals of the receiver. Wiring one speaker out of phase can cause cancellation, and a perceived reduction in output. I have made this mistake on more than one occasion.

Did u get a phase error prompt during auto calibration?

Once you have ensure that your speakers are wired correctly, also make sure your sub is in phase. Best way for this is to play a familiar track and switch the phase knob on the the sub from one position to the next, to see witch phase setting produces the highest audible volume in the base region. Often the right position produces the best base output.

You may also want to check your avr to see if you accidentally enabled something the equivalent of knight mode, or some other bass/treble reduction feature.

Good luck.

i did factory reset and switched on or off nothing.

wiring is correct i double checked.i wish i had a chance to try those beasts with another more powerfull AVR.

i did factory reset and switched on or off nothing.

wiring is correct i double checked.i wish i had a chance to try those beasts with another more powerfull AVR.

By the way, trim and channel level are the same thing. As noted by another commentator, If you have a sub, set a crossover of around 80. That should take some load off your mains, allowing them to articulate and play louder.

The 260s are nice. If possible, place them at least 6 feet apart, with cabinetry that is low to the ground, or use none at all. I found doing so opened up the bass and expanded the sound stage.

Also, Ia lot of people toe in these speakers quite a bit, after going through numerous configurations, i found that a toe in that is ever so slight reduces the highs, opens up the soundstage, and eliminates listening fatigue. To each there own though, enjoy.

It sounds like the you are in a fairly large room, the room is also acting like a bass trap and yes, the speakers could use stronger amplification but will yeild similar levels post Auto EQ.  The Pioneer sets my R/L/C to +1, +0.5, +0.5 db.  I have a 200 watt amp and also in a large room.  It also sets the SBL and SBR to +3.5 and +1.5.  The FHL and FHR are + 5.5 and +6.0.  

I would use an spl meter and measure some of the spl levels in music.

what i wonder is guys  that the pio vsx-921 cant fully drive them right? that is  a truth?

here is my room

i increased the TRIM for Klipschs to +1.5db  (didn't touch the spekar volume which is -3.0db for the klipsch )

and i changed the whole speakers distance manually and they sound much more accurate than the MCAA configured.i set the Klipschs as 3.65meters away from me.Definitely i am not that far from the speakers but they sound much more accurate.

2.65meters for the center
2.60meters for the surround back

you may have some opinion for my room according to those pictures.

room02.jpg

room01.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like you want somebody to tell you that you need a new AVR?  Maybe so, but if you were happy with the Pioneer driving your Jamo's, then you should be very happy with the Pioneer driving the Klipsch.  Temporarily turn off MCACC to simplify things while you get 2-channel dialed in, then go back and configure your home theater.  Right now, you have too many variables at play.

Based on the picture, I would move the klipsch inward towards the TV (further away from the side walls) and forward so they are slightly in front of the TV stand.  Then toe them inward a little bit to start and adjust to your preference.

6 hours ago, pbphoto said:

Sounds like you want somebody to tell you that you need a new AVR?  Maybe so, but if you were happy with the Pioneer driving your Jamo's, then you should be very happy with the Pioneer driving the Klipsch.  Temporarily turn off MCACC to simplify things while you get 2-channel dialed in, then go back and configure your home theater.  Right now, you have too many variables at play.

Based on the picture, I would move the klipsch inward towards the TV (further away from the side walls) and forward so they are slightly in front of the TV stand.  Then toe them inward a little bit to start and adjust to your preference.

it is because of my friends having told me that the pio vsx-921 wont be able to drive klipsch fully.

• 2 months later...
On 14.05.2017 at 10:55 PM, Spirit_Rises said:

what i wonder is guys  that the pio vsx-921 cant fully drive them right? that is  a truth?

here is my room

i increased the TRIM for Klipschs to +1.5db  (didn't touch the spekar volume which is -3.0db for the klipsch )

and i changed the whole speakers distance manually and they sound much more accurate than the MCAA configured.i set the Klipschs as 3.65meters away from me.Definitely i am not that far from the speakers but they sound much more accurate.

2.65meters for the center
2.60meters for the surround back

you may have some opinion for my room according to those pictures.

Brother those speakers looks awesome. I can not imagine the sound when you play Battlefield 1.

Vay amk piçe bak piçe ejderha yarrağı gibi dikmiş hoparlörleri :D