How do I build an Acoustically Transparent Screen?

Lost240

OK, I have found a good deal on a set of La Scalas and I would like to make them my mains in my home theater. The only issue I have is that they will block part of my 100" screen, so the only logical solution is to put them behind a new bigger screen. This screen will have to be suspended from the ceiling in some way since I can no longer mount it to my wall. Does anyone have any advice on how to start this project? What to use to mount the screen? Where to get the material?

Thanks!

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Lost240 said:

OK, I have found a good deal on a set of La Scalas and I would like to make them my mains in my home theater.

That's what I'm talking about.  You are in for a treat.

7 minutes ago, Lost240 said:

The only issue I have is that they will block part of my 100" screen, so the only logical solution is to put them behind a new bigger screen.

I had the same exact dilemma as you....check out my Build Thread.  I have TONS of photos showing the process I went through.  Might give you some ideas for your room.

I also have several videos of my HT and even the build process on my Youtube Channel.  . 

I went from having my speakers in front of a 103" Elite Screen...

klipsch-dual-rsw-15-1.JPG

To behind a 150" Seymour Centerstage XD AT Screen...

klipsch-lascala-trio-home-theater-build-

klipsch-lascala-trio-home-theater-build-

• Like 2

Youthman.....I like the Elite setup better, I would give up the larger screen just see all those speakers :D

Lost240....Youthman is the guru on home theater setup. 

Just curious, do you have the speakers in your avatar?

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Youthman.....I like the Elite setup better, I would give up the larger screen just see all those speakers :D

Not me.  The massive screen takes movie watching to an entirely new level.  Besides, I can open the screen or even turn on the LED's behind the screen to easily reveal the speakers behind the screen.

20 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Oh wow, don't believe a thing he says.  LOL.  I'm nowhere close to being a HT guru.  Just a simple hobbyist.

18 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Oh.....you might as well start looking for a third La Scala :D

Most definitely.  Having three LaScalas up front is absolutely seamless.

3 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Not me.  The massive screen takes movie watching to an entirely new level.  Besides, I can open the screen or even turn on the LED's behind the screen to easily reveal the speakers behind the screen.

What would be extra nice, keep the Elite just for everyday TV watching, and see the room back there, then drop the screen to get serious.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

What would be extra nice, keep the Elite just for everyday TV watching

Unfortunately that is pretty impractical.  IMO, in a dedicated theater, the priority goes to sound and video above aesthetics.  When the lights go out, even if you have the speakers out front, you don't see them.  I much prefer to watch TV on a 150" screen over a 103" screen.

We do not have cable and therefore do not watch TV.  The HT is about 95% bluray watching, 5% music and occassionally used for gaming when my son's friends are over.

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Just curious, do you have the speakers in your avatar?

@Ceptorman I no longer have the speakers in my Avatar. I sold the P37s and replaced them with a set of Khorns. 

Easiest solution:

1. get 1x4" poplar and cut four pieces with mitered ends.  

2. If possible cut notches for a biscuit joiner in the middle of the miters at this point, otherwise it's not a big deal.  

3. Buy the good velvet from Seymour, Fidelio or something.  

4. Prewrap all the pieces in velvet, separately.  If you don't prewrap then you will have these weird overlays and folds in the corners since the velvet doesn't stretch.  

5. If you have the aforementioned biscuit joiner, assemble the pieces using biscuits and glue.  Otherwise get L brackets from Lowes and screw onto the back.  Biscuits plus L-brackets probably wouldn't be a bad idea.  

6. Get you some screen material (spandex, seymour UF, XD, whatever), staple it on the back on the top middle.  Stretch the sides over to the corner and staple.  Then staple everywhere in between.  

7. Stand the frame up on its end so the material naturally hangs down.  Staple the bottom middle, then stretch the corners, then get everything in between and on the sides.  

8. Hang using 2-3 of these.  

https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Group-18-in-Hangman-Picture-Hanging-System/3058195

Done.  

• Like 1

Thank you @MetropolisLakeOutfitters I actually built my last screen a similar way. That one was a bIt easier because it was mounted to the wall. Since this one will have to be in front of the la scalas I am going to have to suspend it somehow. Right now I have a drop ceiling in the room so anchoring it to some beams for support shouldn't be too hard. I just haven't figured out what to do to accomplish this. 

I really like how @Youthman can raise and lower the screen. 

55 minutes ago, Lost240 said:

Since this one will have to be in front of the la scalas I am going to have to suspend it somehow.

You can build L-brackets out of wood and attach them to the wall.  I did mine 10" out but I suppose it could be longer.  Basically the screen will be suspended from these wall brackets rather than hanging from the ceiling.  I can post a pic if that sounds interesting.  

Just make a long L-bracket out of wood, wrap it in velvet, and screw it to the wall, use a typical shelf bracket that stands out the same distance or another shorter L-bracket, and screw one of the aforementioned picture hangers to it.  Once you hang the screen on it, all you see is a velvet side and the screen in the front, your speakers will be behind the screen.  This one is 10" deep as to fit an 88 Special center channel.  You could do this same thing with the big project panels from Lowes and make it deeper.  

bracket_zpsg5nxah9t.jpg

• Like 1

MetropolisLakeOutfitters pretty much covered everything. I recommend going over to AVS Forum and check out the DIY Screens sub forum.  Probably the best source for DIY screens info available.   If you want to buy commercial screen material and mount it, there is still a lot of info on frame construction.   If  you want to go more DIY there is a lot of info on stretching and treating other materials.  Mississippi Man gives the best advice as far as I'm concerned.  He gives good, honest info if you ask for help.