Happy/Sad introduction to the Klipschorn family

AHall

On 5/12/2017 at 3:14 PM, AHall said:

B63AFA77-EB00-4349-9B9E-8D2B8246EFEA_zpsThey sounded a little flat in my house hooked to the Yamaha. So I ordered some bob crites ct120 tweeters, a55g mid drivers, and new type A crossovers. I also sealed them to the wall with pipe insulation. I still didn't get the desired sound I was looking for so I just ordered a bob Latino st70 tube amp kit. I'm sure that will help fulfill the missing sound from the demo. I'll likely pull the Crites mids and tweeters back out and listen to them the way PWK intended me to for a while. 

I intend on converting my new Frankenstein decorators to a "B" cabinet with a riser. Also putting an exotic veneer on them. And more than likely closing in the backs like a 60th and 70th anniversary model. Luckily the finish job was done poorly enough that I think everything they added will peel right off. It currently is fitting quite loose. Which is a good thing to not have the original cabinet damaged by removal. 

The tube amp sounds like a good idea (Yamaha has sounded a little flat to me, too).  I, too, would try the old drivers for comparison.

Getting the tops and risers correct is harder than it looks -- PWK struck gold (in my opinion) with the proportions, dimensions, and variable thicknesses of the layers in the top hat, and everyone else's just don't look quite right compared with the original.  Hopefully you can locate a true Klipsch finely veneered "B" style down the road.  Keep your eyes on Craigslist, especially from West Coast cities.  Colo too, maybe.

For more info on how the top hats were put together in the B-syle's, scroll down for the pics in this interesting thread:  

I think those are abit cooler since they are decorators and look well done. I wouldn't have been bummed out as they are unique. I mean check out that grill cloth. Maybe refinish them but I think they are cool..

• Moderators
On 5/14/2017 at 0:26 AM, AHall said:

Well i I guess it really is a slippery slope. Found a great deal on these kg4's for $120!!

Yep, you're in trouble, looks like another good deal, it's over you have slipped. Looks like some little RB's also in the pic also. All I can say is as you collect try to weed out the weaker models, try anyway. 

Just remember that decorators are identical to the finished models except they are not finished. They are also tested the same way before shipment. The  emblems come in a bag with three gold nails. At least that's the way it was in 1965.

JJK

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Yep, you're in trouble, looks like another good deal, it's over you have slipped. Looks like some little RB's also in the pic also. All I can say is as you collect try to weed out the weaker models, try anyway. 

The RB52ii's used to be my surrounds. When I got the khorns I moved the rf82ii's to surround duty. I'm wanted some heresies for surrounds to match the khorns. But these kg4s are pretty close. 

At this point I think the rf82ii's are a clearer and more precise. The kg4s might have better bass though. 

Im having trouble deciding what to do with all the speakers. By cutting walls from my house it really messed up my left surround placement options. 

As of now I have khorns, kg4s, rf82s, rc52, rb51s. Not exactly where I want everything. Could do some front presence speakers maybe. 

1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

Just remember that decorators are identical to the finished models except they are not finished. They are also tested the same way before shipment. The  emblems come in a bag with three gold nails. At least that's the way it was in 1965.

JJK

I just want a nice set of B style cabinets. Much more perty. I know they sound the same. Just want them to look as good as they sound now. 

On 5/12/2017 at 6:38 PM, T2K said:

I had house shoes just like yours but a dog chewed up the right shoe. I noticed in your picture that the one house shoe looked like a left. Is the right one available and in new condition? What size are they?...

The number and placing of "house" shoes in front of the speakers can be critical for proper imaging. Sometimes you'll even hear differences depending on whether you place a left or right shoe between the speakers. Boots sound different than shoes; sneakers absorb their own frequencies.

;)

I hope Adam will show us the finished speakers after his restoration job.

On 5/17/2017 at 3:50 AM, Peter P. said:

The number and placing of "house" shoes in front of the speakers can be critical for proper imaging. Sometimes you'll even hear differences depending on whether you place a left or right shoe between the speakers. Boots sound different than shoes; sneakers absorb their own frequencies.

;)

I hope Adam will show us the finished speakers after his restoration job.

I added several pair of shoes and different styles. It did seem to make a big difference. I think I gained the best results from two left work boots, but in the right side of the room. 

• Like 1