World-wide cyber attack

wvu80

Another security update, this time at 4:44pm.

I'll stop worrying when Microsoft stops updating its definitions twice a day.

I hope you're aware that the entire fiasco is because of Microsoft shitty OS, anf wasn't its antivirus, but an exploid in their OS that weren't patched.. Companies with multi million dollars infrastructure, top notch firewalls, and up to date antiviruses still got hit becaue of the MS OS.. My company was in high alert over the weekend like North Korea was going to lunch a missile over New York..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, tnycman said:

I hope you're aware that the entire fiasco is because of Microsoft shitty OS, anf wasn't its antivirus, but an exploid in their OS that weren't patched..

There was a security hole in Windows that the NSA found.  Then Wikileaks exposed the NSA files, so everybody knew it was there.

I find it incredible that the problem was known and STILL Microsoft didn't move to close the opening until AFTER the disaster hit.  Now as you say, Microsoft NOW is releasing patches and security updates with the same urgency as if their hair was on fire.

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I find it incredible that the problem was known and STILL Microsoft didn't move to close the opening until AFTER the disaster hit. 

You find it incredible that MS kept collaborating with your government....enough said.

8 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Thanks Thad, that was an interesting read.

The core of the issue is Microsoft’s tiered support system. The vulnerability targeted last week doesn’t exist in systems released since Windows 8 (which introduced SMBv3), so the main targets were Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Apparently Microsoft came out with a patch two months ago but a lot of the companies hit did not bother to use the patch.  I also didn't realize this targeted Win 7 and XP systems.  I still have an XP machine in service with a 200 GB IDE drive.  It's a simple read-only (no email) internet machine in an unused spare bedroom so it's functional but not often used.  I can't upgrade the software due to the outdated hardware.

Maybe it's time to pop a new motherboard in there, or just abandon the computer altogether.

Apparently Microsoft came out with a patch two months ago but a lot of the companies hit did not bother to use the patch.  I also didn't realize this targeted Win 7 and XP systems.  I still have an XP machine in service with a 200 GB IDE drive.  It's a simple read-only (no email) internet machine in an unused spare bedroom so it's functional but not often used.  I can't upgrade the software due to the outdated hardware.

Maybe it's time to pop a new motherboard in there, or just abandon the computer altogether.

If you change your mother board you need to change pretty much everything else, you can keep the hard drives, and some other drives, but not sure of its worth doing it now days.

Not sure how much you wanna spend, but i got an email from Tigerdirect they were selling a HP tower with Core i7, 8gb ram, 1TB HDD, for $679 i personally prefer SSD storage, but its more expensive.
You probably can find refurished or used cheaper..

45 minutes ago, tnycman said:

If you change your mother board you need to change pretty much everything else, you can keep the hard drives, and some other drives, but not sure of its worth doing it now days.

Not sure how much you wanna spend, but i got an email from Tigerdirect they were selling a HP tower with Core i7, 8gb ram, 1TB HDD, for $679 i personally prefer SSD storage, but its more expensive.

Yeah, you're right about the Mobo swap.  For a computer that old it basically needs one of everything.  I'm not even sure the IDE drive is usable anymore, I doubt the newer MB's even support an IDE drive.  The power supply definitely does not work with the newer MB's.

I used to build computers but I'm totally out of touch with the new stuff.  I would probably lean towards an Intel i5, 8 gb of RAM, 500 MB SSD with the m.2 format.  I really like the speed and form factor of the m.2.  It's the size of a stick of DDR4 ram!

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E250BW/dp/B01LYFKX41/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1494943945&sr=1-1&keywords=ssd+m.2

810x5jno1QL._SL1500_.jpg

5 minutes ago, Innocent_George said:

Don't know if any of you saw this but they are now saying its linked to North Korea.

That contradicts preliminary reports that it was a private gang.  That article makes a pretty good case it was a highly organized government backed effort.

But geez, if the NSA can get hacked and all its secrets stolen, what chance to stay safe from hackers do the rest of us have?

That contradicts preliminary reports that it was a private gang.  That article makes a pretty good case it was a highly organized government backed effort.

But geez, if the NSA can get hacked and all its secrets stolen, what chance to stay safe from hackers do the rest of us have?

I highly doubt it NSA got hacked, as there is mo way to confirm it happen unless you have an internal access to their security infrastructure logs, besides i could imagine how locked down their access is there, which is super hard to penetrate unless somone internally with high access. I think NSA hacked the shit otta other countries and pointed the finger at some useless russian or chinese hackers, saying shit we got hacked too..

A websites being hacked is one thing classified systems are entire ball game.
All in all you don't know what's true and fake nowdays, and NO I'm not trying to make a political statement, nor do i want to steer this thread in that direction.

9 minutes ago, tnycman said:

I highly doubt it NSA got hacked, as there is mo way to confirm it happen unless you have an internal access to their security infrastructure logs, besides i could imagine how locked down their access is there, which is super hard to penetrate unless somone internally with high access. I think NSA hacked the shit otta other countries and pointed the finger at some useless russian or chinese hackers, saying shit we got hacked too..

I know what you mean, but the start of all this trouble was the NSA's secrets being compromised.  From the article link by innocent_george:

The WannaCry exploits used in the attack were drawn from a cache of exploits stolen from the NSA by the Shadow Brokers in August 2016. The NSA and other government agencies around the world create and collect vulnerabilities in popular pieces of software (such as Windows) and cyberweapons to use for intelligence gathering and cyberwarfare.

Researchers have said the NSA itself has probably not been hacked directly – rather, the leaked information more likely came from a compromised system outside the agency’s networks.

A mysterious online group called the Shadow Brokers claims to have infiltrated an elite hacking unit linked to the National Security Agency and stolen state “cyber weapons”, and is now auctioning them off to the highest bidder.

The stolen malware is said to belong to Equation Group, a sophisticated hacking team believed to be operated by the NSA. So far, the Shadow Brokers have only released a few taster files and images of the cache, but security researchers said they appear to be legitimate.

Yeah, you're right about the Mobo swap.  For a computer that old it basically needs one of everything.  I'm not even sure the IDE drive is usable anymore, I doubt the newer MB's even support an IDE drive.  The power supply definitely does not work with the newer MB's.

I used to build computers but I'm totally out of touch with the new stuff.  I would probably lean towards an Intel i5, 8 gb of RAM, 500 MB SSD with the m.2 format.  I really like the speed and form factor of the m.2.  It's the size of a stick of DDR4 ram!

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E250BW/dp/B01LYFKX41/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1494943945&sr=1-1&keywords=ssd+m.2

810x5jno1QL._SL1500_.jpg

I would get a 500gb to start with, unless you are not planning to store pictures/videos or do many backups, 250g will run out of space quick..
Also you need to get a compatible motherboard and make sure it supports more in case you nees more space..

1 minute ago, tnycman said:

I would get a 500gb to start with, unless you are not planning to store pictures/videos or do many backups, 250g will run out of space quick..
Also you need to get a compatible motherboard and make sure it supports more in case you nees more space..

I already upgraded an older computer to the now common setup by using a Samsung EVO 250 SSD paired with mass storage 1T HDD.  The SSD contains the OS and a few other apps, and takes up about 40 GB, 168 GB free.  It turned an older computer into a newer computer in terms of speed. 

These SSD's are now known to work best with larger capacities with the key being, don't fill them all the way up.

6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

They'd be disappointed if they hacked mine.  "Nothing to see here, move along".

As I have not had to deal with this one, I wonder if the remedy I have used a couple of other times over the years would work.  I always keep a Linux boot disc handy.  I don't keep anything on my system drive I care about due to just these possibilities.  Twice over 30 years I've had a ransomware attack, and I just booted Linux, removed any data I wanted to keep, then restored my system drive from the clone I always make as soon as I've updated my OS. 

Not sure why this is so devastating unless folks either don't take basic precautions to back up or these guys have done something entirely new.

Dave