Static in JVC receiver

wvu80

I have a 1997JVC RX-403 FM/AM receiver. This receiver has a built in 5 band equalizer / two sets of speakers inputs / 10+ channel presets / phono, CD , tape 1 and tape 2/ surround.  It's probably worth about $30 on the used market.  I am running a Samsung TV headphone OUT through the Phono input. 

$_1.JPG

When I play it at lower SPL it is fine, but when crank it up moderately it creates a horrible static that sounds like it's blowing both speakers.  I have tried two sets of speakers, same symptoms.  One channel also plays fine for a while, then goes away, then returns strong with no rhyme or reason.

I think I ought to take it out of service.  Your suggestions?

Please clarify-is the sound distorting REGARDLESS of the source (tuner, phono, CD, etc.) or is it just the "Samsung TV headphone OUT through the Phono input"?

If the latter, how are your generating an output signal through the Phono input?

@Peter P. Right now, just the TV out.

I'll test with the tuner and also try using the CD input.

+++

EDIT 1:  TV OUT to CD IN - No static whatsover.  The CD input is much less sensitive than the Phono, so I have to turn the volume up at least 50% higher to get the same amount of SPL.  The left channel plays at about 10% the SPL of the right channel.

EDIT 2Tuner: same exact description as EDIT 1.  The blown left channel plays both HF and LF in the 2-way speakers, just at 10% compared to the right.

56 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

or is it just the "Samsung TV headphone OUT through the Phono input"?

If the latter, how are your generating an output signal through the Phono input?

If I understand your question correctly, I am using a single pole (stereo) 1/8th inch jack from the TV to L/R RCA terminals in the receiver.

17 hours ago, wvu80 said:

@Peter P. Right now, just the TV out.

I'll test with the tuner and also try using the CD input.

+++

EDIT 1:  TV OUT to CD IN - No static whatsover.  The CD input is much less sensitive than the Phono, so I have to turn the volume up at least 50% higher to get the same amount of SPL.  The left channel plays at about 10% the SPL of the right channel.

EDIT 2Tuner: same exact description as EDIT 1.  The blown left channel plays both HF and LF in the 2-way speakers, just at 10% compared to the right.

Okay, I get it- you're using the headphone output on the TV to feed audio to the receiver, and you're using a splitter cable to turn the headphone output into a stereo input.

I believe the typical maximum output level on a CD player is 1V. I also believe the typical turntable cartridge output is typically vastly lower; about 1mV for moving coil cartridges and 3mV for moving magnet cartridges.

Headphone outputs I believe are in the 1V range.

Your TV's headphone output is easily overdriving the phono input into distortion, hence the noise you hear. You have to plug the TV's headphone output into an input such as the CD, but you will control your listening volume with YOUR RECEIVER, once you set the headphone volume output to a level that doesn't produce distortion.

Most TV's should have a pair of audio out RCA jacks which would provide an adequate level for your receiver and you can use the CD, Tape, or AUX inputs on the receiver. If you've already got junk plugged into those jacks, you should be able to buy a switcher box to connect two devices to one input on the receiver.

As to the 10% less audio in one channel; I wonder whether your TV has menu settings to adjust left-right balance, perhaps separately for the TV's speakers vs. headphone output. Either way, verify both are set to center.

Report back with your results.

I don't know about this model but some of the jvc amps are real sleepers, I had an axr 551 and it walked over many a amp, preamp combo, some costing used at least 20 times the cost. I bought two top of the line JVCs 2 channel amps that were over 1500$ in the early 90s and the axr 551 sounded much crisper and cleaner.  One of the most fun things about this hobby is finding synergy that works for your ears.

3 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Okay, I get it- you're using the headphone output on the TV to feed audio to the receiver, and you're using a splitter cable to turn the headphone output into a stereo input.

Yes, exactly.

Your TV's headphone output is easily overdriving the phono input into distortion, hence the noise you hear. You have to plug the TV's headphone output into an input such as the CD, but you will control your listening volume with YOUR RECEIVER, once you set the headphone volume output to a level that doesn't produce distortion.

Yes, again.

Most TV's should have a pair of audio out RCA jacks which would provide an adequate level for your receiver and you can use the CD, Tape, or AUX inputs on the receiver. If you've already got junk plugged into those jacks, you should be able to buy a switcher box to connect two devices to one input on the receiver.

As to the 10% less audio in one channel; I wonder whether your TV has menu settings to adjust left-right balance, perhaps separately for the TV's speakers vs. headphone output. Either way, verify both are set to center.

Report back with your results.

Good guess on the TV.  I just reset all the audio values to default and both channels are now working.

So far you're batting 1000%!

EDIT:  The Right channel was working fine and has just gone out again.  I am going to use some different RCA cables in the hope that I have a bad connection somewhere.

Edit 2:  There is no RCA out from the TV.  It has HDMI, Optical out but no RCA out, just the Headphone Out.  The receiver has RCA inputs only.  The process of unplugging then replugging the cables seems to have restored the sound.  We'll see if that helps longer term. 

7 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Edit 2:  There is no RCA out from the TV.  It has HDMI, Optical out but no RCA out, just the Headphone Out.  The receiver has RCA inputs only.  The process of unplugging then replugging the cables seems to have restored the sound.  We'll see if that helps longer term. 

They make Optical to RCA converters. Cheap, too. HERE'S' just a sample. That may make your life easier.

Thanks @Peter P.  You walked me through the trouble shooting like an old pro.  You were spot-on with every suggestion. 

I am now static-free and both channels have been solid ever since the cable swap.  The Optical to RCA converter is something I had never heard of and at that price it looks like a good item to have on-hand.

Anyone can feel free to comment as they wish, but for me all the problems have been resolved.  Thanks to all!  -Dave