[advice needed] RF-7 mk II with...

Ugo

Hello,

I'm new here, living in France and considering a complete upgrade of my sound system at home as the actual one is a pretty low end, old home cinema material and I'm now looking for a more audiophile setting.

I have a quite big room (about 60 square meters) and I read a lot of good reviews on the Klipsch RF-7 Mk II reference which have am astounding efficiency and can deliver real sound. I like that. I read here and there that these sound best when coupled with a powerful amp (2 x 200W min) but not everyone agrees on that point.

Now my question is : would an AMP such as the Sony TA-A1ES (2 x 80W class A) do the job to use these speakers worthily or is it a bad idea ? I like this reference because I plan to go on the HAP-Z1ES too and they seem to do well together.

If the TA-A1ES is a no go, what other reference could you advice, knowing that I don't plan to spend a lot more than +/- 1000$ on such a gear ?

Thanks for letting me know about this before I order anything !

Edited by Ugo

Depends which camp you're in.  Some of us run on the philosophy that high quality amps with even the smallest amount of power can drive the Klipsch speakers with ease.  Others like having the extra power for the headroom in movies or kick drums in music.  I favor more towards the former of these camps, and think that 80 x 2 should be a pretty decent setup for music (I'm guessing music?).  The Sony ES line is a slam dunk too, so I think you're on the right track.

Thanks for your message. You're guessing right about the use : it will be music only.

I'm new to this kind of gear so would it be OK to start with TA-A1ES and the RF-7 mk II and, would I think it lacks of power, to add some signal amplifying device (don't know the name in english, maybe power amp ?) between the TA-A1ES and the speakers ? Is this a lousy idea ? Would it alter the sound ?

I didn't find that many amps that can deliver the adviced 2x200W (as I want to avoid HC amps and I don't want to pay more than 1000$-1500$ for the amp) so I thought of the TA-A1ES which has good overall reviews, but if you can think of another amplifier reference that would be class A audiophile (not HC) with good output power I would of course consider it too !;)

Signal amplification isn't necessary unless you're doing long runs.  Line level is line level.

The ES models are decent and may be a good place to look first.  Without getting into something a little bit more beefy, most AVR's will top out around 100-120 WPC.

https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/pt-100

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/300

Not sure what international shipping would be, but this might be a good option for you.

For that size room, a good 200 watt amp is perfect.  Rotel, Emotiva all make amps with that type of power.  Also, the used market may have some good offering.  If budget permits a 15 in. subwoofer will help with the low end.  This will leave the RF 7 II's doing the Hi's and midrange.  This is one of the ways I run mine.  I don't care if the go down to 30 or 40 Hz.  A subwoofer has a beefier driver and it's own amp to handle the frequencies down low and will do a better job.

The other way I run the RF 7 II's is full range with a Yaqin MC 13s tub amp.  It is a 45 watt amp.  This thing is almost as loud as my 200 watt Acurus amp on the RF 7II's.

• Like 1

Thanks for all these good advices !

Didn't know about Emotiva as a brand and it seems pretty well-placed in price compared to what I saw in other brands. I'm concerned about the current though (230V in Europe Vs 110V in America) and the warranty issues (would it stop working). I keep it in mind anyway.

I don't feel like adding a subwoofer either beacause this is for music only, not a HC setting and i'm looking for a simple 'pure' music Amp. A setting with additional amp and subwoofer would definetly blow my budget and I don't really have the room on the ground to add a serious subwoofer without rearranging the whole room. Plus I'm really new to this kind of material and I'm a bit afraid to go into something too complicated with signal split towards different amps for example. I'd like to keep it 'linear' and simple.

I keep on looking for the 'perfect' amp and the more I look, the more I think it is not the TA-A1ES. I saw some NAD amps that look great too (NAD C388 or 375BEE for example) but they are class D. Do you think this is a serious flaw or not ? They're quite high in price for me but seem to be good candidates if I forget about the money.

6 hours ago, Ugo said:

Didn't know about Emotiva as a brand and it seems pretty well-placed in price compared to what I saw in other brands. I'm concerned about the current though (230V in Europe Vs 110V in America) and the warranty issues (would it stop working). I keep it in mind anyway.

Emotiva is EU safe.  All of their products that I've purchased have come with EU power cords.  All Emotiva gear that I own also is safe at 110 or 220 and is automatically switched.  The warranties that the units come with I believe is still 2-5 years, but is no longer transferable - not an issue if you're buying direct from them.

@teaman and I are the resident Emotiva binge-users, and there are at least several other members that use and recommend them as well.

• Like 2

FRANCE

Futureland
246 Rue Victor Hugo
BP195
69657 Villefranche-sur-Saône Cedex
Email: info@futureland.fr
Phone: 04.74.09.45.15

futureland_fr_logo.png

Emotiva has a partner distributor in France. The same warranty applies and the gear is very reliable. I would give them a call....or a listen if you are anywhere near them!

Tim

As you start looking at speakers with multiple woofers, think CURRENT.  Make sure your amp can push low impedances adequately and you will be well served.  If not you will likely be treated with the dreaded shrill, tilted up sound that many associate with Klipsch.  Good higher power amplification helps to balance this out.

@Teaman : no emotiva gear found on the website in France. Maybe they can order it but it is visibly not in stock. I'll give the site a look anyway, thanks !

@History Kid : i'm a bit reluctant to buying direct from the US for such a piece of equipment. It seems to be really good for the money but if I can't find it in the EC I don't think I'll go for it.

@Willand : ok thanks for the info about the NAD375BEE, I must have read it wrong. Do you think it is a good compromise to drive the RF7 II ?

This being said I still have the option of Sony TA-A1ES (class A but only  2x80W and no DAC included so this might be a problem for connecting a CD player) but I heard people say that it might be a bit weak in current to drive the RF7 so I'd like to consider other options too.

You're all helping me see clear into this so thanks already !

Just now, Ugo said:

OK, TA-A1ES is still in the race then. ;)

Just found an Anthem INT 225 that would be about the same price as the TA-A1ES but with 225W/channel. Any opinion on this one ?

I have owned a couple of Anthem amps and have been more than pleased.  If my Acurus amps ever take a dump beyond repair, Anthem will be right there with Acurus at the top of my list.  The Anthem integrated 225 is a highly praised amp that is built rock solid.

Bill

In case you find an EC source for Emotiva, I wanted to chime in with my great experiences with their products. I've had their a-100 mini-X, a 50 Wpc amp, driven by an Onkyo C-7030 CD player and driving a pair Klipsch RB-81ii's. It was originally used in my 11' x 12' x 9' home office and now in my larger bonus/hobby room. It was replaced last fall in my office by a new A-100 BasX amplifier, with a headphone output (I'm using that now to listen to music - it's locally ~ 5:00 AM!) and a bit higher SNR. It has it's, own C-7030 CDP as it's input and a pair of Klipsch Heresys as output loads, with the same 50 Wpc rating as my earlier model. The power is plenty for me in both rooms, permitting plenty of sound power for my two music-only applications.

My amplifiers, while admittedly 'entry level', are extremely well made and have been dependable as well. They both came impressively packed. Good products! Good luck.

• Like 1

I finally orderd the Anthem INT 225 (should get it by the end of the week). It will be the first element of my new audio setting, followed by the Sony HAP-Z1ES and finally by the Klipsch RF-7 Mk II.

I'm excited to hear this !

Thanks to you all for your good advices, it helped ! ;)

On 5/15/2017 at 9:01 AM, Ugo said:

Thanks for all these good advices !

I don't feel like adding a subwoofer either beacause this is for music only, not a HC setting and i'm looking for a simple 'pure' music Amp. A setting with additional amp and subwoofer would definetly blow my budget and I don't really have the room on the ground to add a serious subwoofer without rearranging the whole room. Plus I'm really new to this kind of material and I'm a bit afraid to go into something too complicated with signal split towards different amps for example. I'd like to keep it 'linear' and simple.

I keep on looking for the 'perfect' amp and the more I look, the more I think it is not the TA-A1ES. I saw some NAD amps that look great too (NAD C388 or 375BEE for example) but they are class D. Do you think this is a serious flaw or not ? They're quite high in price for me but seem to be good candidates if I forget about the money.

i haven't heard a class D yet that i like. doesn't mean there will never be one i'm just gunshy to the design for anything above 100hz

hunting for the perfect amp is kind of an adventure. you have to start somewhere and over here used rotel and adcom are the bargain amplifiers. sometimes you even find a nice clean older harman kardon inexpensively. 

examples http://echohifi.com/details/11098/Rotel_RB-980BX

and http://echohifi.com/details/11105/Harman-Kardon_PA-2200

both of these are under 200usd., or for 100 more

http://echohifi.com/details/7209/NAD_C-272 

as for the speakers, which is the real reason i replied. the rf7ii is ideal for larger rooms. it's probably my first choice. low frequencies may need help if you're trying to get loud but a sub could be added later if necessary. i haven't heard the klipsch horn aka flagships setup properly before but i have heard most the rest, heresy, la scala and of those i like the rf7ii the most. i just think it sounds better with modern music which is 99% of what i listen to. also does well with movies 

• Like 1

OK thanks. The Amp is ordered now, it will be an Anthem INT 225.

Glad to read that the RF7 are as good as that too with modern music (modern will be about 60% of my use, with 20% old Jazz and 20% Classical music). ;)

• Like 1