La Scalia in black-stained birch

Big Star

I have an opportunity to pick up some minty LS in birch. All original /no mods. My listening area is approximately 30'x12'x9'h all wood  and large glass windows. Initially, I will match to Onkyo A9070 amp with Thorens 125 mkII TT. I plan to mod the LS with Crites goodness and upgrade to tubes in a year or so. In everyone's opinion based on what I have outlined, are the LS an upgrade over my Forte II's with Crite's upgrades and worth the $1500.00?

thx...

BS

• Like 1

My initial reaction/opinion, considering your room, and limited info regarding the speakers would be no.  Speakers on long or short wall?  Your main listening position is where/how far from the speakers?    Any room treatments such as drapes/rugs/upholstered furniture?  What are the specific drivers installed in the LS?  Do you plan on selling the Forte II's?  $1500 for black stained birch is high.  If you update the LS with "Crites goodness", what does that mean to you?  Drivers, crossovers, etc?  You could potentially have $2K into them by the time you are done.  Don't get me wrong, I love La Scala's, but they can sound less than wonderful in the wrong setting (as can Forte II's.....)

Sticking with the Forte II's.

After Crites mods (over recap and Ti tweeter diaphragms) and finding good placement in the room (15" off long wood wall), I feel they

sound great. I did feel with elevating them 10" off the floor they became more dynamic. I might build some stands.

11 hours ago, Big Star said:

Sticking with the Forte II's.

After Crites mods (over recap and Ti tweeter diaphragms) and finding good placement in the room (15" off long wood wall), I feel they

sound great. I did feel with elevating them 10" off the floor they became more dynamic. I might build some stands.

you can try them on furniture dollies first and correct placement issue

first..

http://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2016/06/klipsch-la-scala.html

IMG_20160626_204026.jpg

• Like 1