Heritage L-C-R speakers for HT?

Northman

We are building a HT room, at the end of our house. Its not 100% acoustically treated.. so no ear bleeding sound levels.. but immersive.

We are most likely getting a PJ, but as the room is 11.5ft (W) x 16.5ft (L) x 9ft (H), and we should be able to put in a 140" 2.35:1 screen but its a tight fit...

However, there might be TV, for a year or two, until 4K PJ comes down in price. A 75", sitting 5-10 ft is planned at first.

Now, the equipment:

Oppo 205

Marantz 8802a

5.1 with the hopefully the same L-C-R speakers, and the using the option of playing dedicated L-R for stereo.

I have 3 options for the L-C-R..

1. 3 x Klipsch Cornwall III

2. 2 x Klipsch Cornwall III + 1 Klipsch Heresy III (Center)

3. 3 x Klipsch Heresy III + 2 x R-115SW

The idea is, that I might not need a SW with option 1?

Or do you belive I need it?.. its a small room.

The back surrounds are RP-250s.

• Moderators

My room is 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings.  See my signature for what's in my home theater.  Heritage Wall up front is an awesome soundstage.

I believe every HT and 2ch setup benefits greatly from a quality sub/subs.  Multiple subs will help smooth out the bass response throughout the room so that you don't have holes (little to no bass) in areas of your room.  For Home Theater, LFE isn't nearly as impactful without a sub, no matter how capable your mains are.

Northman,

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like you have the beginnings of a great HT plan.

1 hour ago, Northman said:

I have 3 options for the L-C-R..

1. 3 x Klipsch Cornwall III

2. 2 x Klipsch Cornwall III + 1 Klipsch Heresy III (Center)

3. 3 x Klipsch Heresy III + 2 x R-115SW

I like option 3.  

First, HIII's are very capable speakers.

Second, overall cost will be considerably less than either option 1 or 2.

The idea is, that I might not need a SW with option 1?

Or do you belive I need it?.. its a small room.

Third, IMO all HT setups need a subwoofer(s).

Now, the equipment:

Oppo 205

Marantz 8802a

What amplifier(s) are you considering?

5.1 with the hopefully the same L-C-R speakers, and the using the option of playing dedicated L-R for stereo.

HIII's are fantastic stereo speakers.

Bill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, willland said:

HIII's are fantastic stereo speakers.

Bill

They'll also be much easier to elevate to get the horns on-axis with your ears if you decide to go that way. Some disagree with doing this; the word is that they're voiced to sit low, in a corner, on their risers, and that proximity to nearby walls is supposed to help bring up their bass to the level of their treble. Mine are elevated nearly 2ft (still close to corners though) and I'm pleased. They're also quite handsome, which is worth some consideration.

• Like 1

I agree with the HIII option as well. For HT, you will want subs anyway and typically will cross over the mains at 80 hz or so which is still in the Hersey territory. You will have more money for subs too with Hersey vs Cornwalls. In fact, you could even get another set of HIII's to use as surrounds.

The other factor is the TV you will be using. Its not an issue with an acoustically transparent screen but with a TV it will be very difficult to use a Cornwall as a center channel without elevating the TV too high. Humans are designed to look down or straight and a high TV is very back for your neck. You could much more easily built a TV stand around a Heresy and the TV will still be at relative eye level.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

You will always need a subwoofer to cover the lower octaves regardless of your L-C-R choice.

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

Exactly.

The reason they say this is because almost every speaker made will not go deep enough for soundtracks that are with movies. Even huge speakers do not go deep enough for movies, a sub is always needed to reproduce these sounds.