New Outlaw RR2160

Despite a lack of an onboard DAC, I seriously considered the 2150, until I happened upon my Bel Canto.

Yet this one I find rather intriguing. It's quite a bit of very good kit for the money. I'd love to know what DAC chip it uses.

My one major criticism of the RR 2150 is its looks, which I find downright fugly, amateurish and tacky.

The knobs and buttons of the 2160 are a little nicer, which slightly softens its appearance.

But it's still the same graceless mess of hackneyed, pseudo-retro touches, lopsided proportions, and poor ergonomics.

Outlaw should've gone in a much more elegant direction with its design.

4 hours ago, Alpha Lima said:

Despite a lack of an onboard DAC, I seriously considered the 2150, until I happened upon my Bel Canto.

Yet this one I find rather intriguing. It's quite a bit of very good kit for the money. I'd love to know what DAC chip it uses.

My one major criticism of the RR 2150 is its looks, which I find downright fugly, amateurish and tacky.

The knobs and buttons of the 2160 are a little nicer, which slightly softens its appearance.

But it's still the same graceless mess of hackneyed, pseudo-retro touches, lopsided proportions, and poor ergonomics.

Outlaw should've gone in a much more elegant direction with its design.

Can't agree more.

• Like 1

I think they should offer it in black too.  I think that would soften the aesthetics a bit and could approve its appeal.

For the money, it seems like a nice combination of power and features.  Adding multiple digital inputs is a big plus vs. the previous version, IMO.

I see this as a great unit for folks that want a step up from lower cost mass-market stuff, and want everything in a single chassis for space and simplicity.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I owned an RR2150 and have nothing but praise for this unit. Looks like the 2160 is a step above. Outlaw provides very, very high "bang for the buck" products. I would love to have kept the RR2150 (I bought a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp. What a FANTASTIC piece of equipment!), but did not have the room for a second system. 

On 5/17/2017 at 1:28 AM, Alpha Lima said:

"Burr-Brown PCM DACs with native 192/24 capability."

Couldn't find exact model number.