Red Stenciled Arrows on back of Cornwalls?

Endo

This pair of Cornwalls just posted to a local Craig's List:

--> Curious, red, stenciled direction arrows are mirrored on the back of each. 

Does anybody know if these red markings were done at the factory? I thought speakers left the factory optimized for either vertical or horizontal placement--so, seems someone must have painted these markings after-the-fact... but they also look like they could have been done at the factory?

Anybody know about this?

CW_2.jpg

CW_1.jpg

CW_3.jpg

Cw4.jpg

34 minutes ago, Tasdom said:

Cornwall "Verticals"

Can be laid on side or upright

I did not know that.

Do you know if/why one side is better than the other for horizontal placement--or is the stencil simply to encourage mirrored placement?

Do you know if these were factory marks?

12 minutes ago, Endo said:

I did not know that.

Do you know if/why one side is better than the other for horizontal placement--or is the stencil simply to encourage mirrored placement?

I'm not sure but others will chime in. I saw the ad but for 2300.00 I'd look elsewhere

This is the ad I'd be calling about... says Cornwalls (3) but I interpret it as a pair of Khorns and a Cornwall

Since the X-over is mounted on the side, it might be to keep the speaker in a placement where the X-over isn't hanging upside down in the cab.   It might also be there to keep the tweeters either oriented on the inside or the outside while sitting on their sides. Although you the Klipsch badges to orient them correctly. Maybe one of the old timers here has the answer.

these were made to stand tall or if you had windows in your house you could lay them down on their sides for clearance. they made risers for the bottom and for the sides.

the arrows are factory painted on as to keep the tweeter on top if you want to lay them down on their sides. i used one on its side between 2 k-horns until i got a single lascala

this pair is from 63-64

this set on ebay has the arrows on paper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Cornwall-II-Very-nice-condition-Rare-white-grill-cloth-/132189826850?hash=item1ec720af22:g:wMcAAOSwdjNZDHek

• Like 1

Thanks to all who responded.

Did I read somewhere that both horizontal and vertical configured models were manufactured? The horizontal having the two horns stacked over each other (rotated 90 degrees) beside the woofer? Am I wrong about that?

If a person were to lay a "vertical" CW on its side, is it a potential problem if the crossover is upside-down?

OK. I'm pretty dense. I had to read through this thread again to begin to understand what others were saying...

20 hours ago, dtr20 said:

The reason why the stencils dictate placement is so the mid-range and tweeter horns are above the woofer when on its side or the bottom

I can finally see, in the third photo, that the motorboard configuration is asymetrical--and does not follow a single axis as I had imagined. One can just make out the three openings behind the screen (the two horns are turned on-end, high and to the right). Now I see why the arrows are helpful.

I've since read through the Heritage 'Codes' posted by  : Groomlakearea51 , and I see the "Horizontal" CW was discontinued in 1974. Interesting. (Thank you, Groomlakearea51; that must have taken some time to put together! A great resource.)

This is all of interest to me as my tiny house does not present a lot of placement options for my CWs. Mine have the drivers arranged in a straight line. If I can lay them on their sides--then I might try that. Anything I do is going to be less than ideal due to my space limitations.

Edited by Endo
grammar

19 hours ago, Endo said:

Thanks to all who responded.

Did I read somewhere that both horizontal and vertical configured models were manufactured? The horizontal having the two horns stacked over each other (rotated 90 degrees) beside the woofer? Am I wrong about that?

If a person were to lay a "vertical" CW on its side, is it a potential problem if the crossover is upside-down?

The arrows just advise you which way is "UP" for either vertical or horizontal placement...in order to have the midrange and tweeter horns ABOVE the woofer so as to get the mids and highs closer to the horizontal line of the head of the listener.  This has absolutely nothing to do with the crossover network. Crossovers work without any bias towards how the cabinet is positioned.

• Like 1

Been reading through the available history... My initial confusion was in thinking CW drivers (all models) were configured "straight", like the current production. Seeing the older, previously optional driver configurations--it all makes sense.

vertical-horizontal-placement.jpg

path to document: https://2d73e25b29782b6d6766-9c8af5cbfef16739445bc76457060528.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/Spec_600901_Cornwall_635120773557920000.pdf

Part of the reason for the Cornwall horizontal placement deal is to be able to be able to position it this way when using a SINGLE Cornwall as a center channel speaker between two K-horns.  It is part of the WAF plan...by positioning the Cornwall on its side the WAF is improved if a long table can be set up with the Cornwall UNDER the table.  PWK actually had a Cornwall as a center channel speaker between two K-horns at his home (PWK was a HUGE proponent of the three-speaker stereo array), and laying on its side until he later replaced that Cornwall with a LaScala (which was voiced closer to the K-horns, but got him a large reduction in WAF points), and he further replaced the LaScala with a Belle (which he PURPOSELY designed to satisfy the WAF at home...going so far as to name it after his first wife, Belle).

• Like 1