WTB: 1 Klipsch La Scala in CT area

Lost240

Good price on the black LS in Mr. Hay Duke's link.  The average price on LS in Condition A or B is $1324.

Be aware those are the AL crossovers, not the most popular (the sound is not well liked by those who have had them) and not cost effective to upgrade for instance to a Type AA.  They must be replaced if you don't like the sound.  The K-55-M mid is considered to be technically superior to the older K-55-V.  Also note there is no KLIPSCH badge which is usually located between the squawker and bass bin area.

The average price on a LS single is $423 and that price is consistent for the four samples I have documented.

Good price on the black LS in Mr. Hay Duke's link.  The average price on LS in Condition A or B is $1324.

Be aware those are the AL crossovers, not the most popular (the sound is not well liked by those who have had them) and not cost effective to upgrade for instance to a Type AA.  They must be replaced if you don't like the sound.  The K-55-M mid is considered to be technically superior to the older K-55-V.  Also note there is no KLIPSCH badge which is usually located between the squawker and bass bin area.

The average price on a LS single is $423 and that price is consistent for the four samples I have documented.

I recently bought LaScalas with the AL crossovers. What is the biggest beef with the sound of this particular crossover? To me it sounds great, but I don't have a comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Drewg said:

I recently bought LaScalas with the AL crossovers. What is the biggest beef with the sound of this particular crossover? To me it sounds great, but I don't have a comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have La Scala with AL.  I think they sound great.  I think the biggest complaint is there are a lot more components in the design, so presumably more work to trouble shoot.

49 minutes ago, Drewg said:

... What is the biggest beef with the sound of this particular crossover? To me it sounds great, but I don't have a comparison.

Not to hijack the thread, but I believe the biggest beef with the 1st AL is the thought that it cuts back the midrange too much, and that is afterall where we live right? Later versions of AL are closer to the A and AA XOs.

1 hour ago, haydukej said:

These might be worth a checkout. Not affiliated in anyway. Then it turns into whats rarer, a sale of 3 LSs or a single up for grabs? I imagine the 3 at once. Just buy 2 pairs and keep the spare in the bathroom;)

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/ele/6121844658.html

Thanks @haydukej

i am hoping to find a set that haven't been repainted 

4 hours ago, Drewg said:

I have not heard them, only the Type AA on the 1979 LS I owned a year ago.

From what I've heard from reading on this forum, most people report they do not like the sound of the AL.  I think I remember what people said, but I don't want to speculate in a negative way without being sure.

There are some threads on it, in particular a recent thread in the last couple of months where someone was trying to save parts from the AL to build it into an AA.  The consensus was that there is not enough to save, maybe one part.

I have heard others, like you. who like the sound of their LS with the AL crossover, so the dislike is not universal.

Edit:  I just read @opusk2k9 comment ^^^ where he said he likes the Type AL on his LS.  Opus certainly has a good "critical listening" ear, so that speaks volumes that the AL sound is not universally disliked.

Hey @Lost240 it just so happens that after all the upgrading I've done I am selling my 2 that are in pretty much mint condition. They are the ones with the braided finish I posted pictures when I got them. I'll take some pics right now but I am actually located in CT as well. I believe we have spoken before. 

la scalka.jpg

• Like 2