Music Catalog Software Recommendation

rockhound

I recently purchased an old school CD changer. I want to be able to catalog all my CD's and number them as I load them into the changer for faster identification and programming. Those that have large CD/Albums or tape libraries how do you catalog them? Obviously all of these are cataloged in itunes already. I thought about just building an excel spreadsheet but man that would be a real PIA! I found this one but curious what others have used.

https://www.collectorz.com/music

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, rockhound said:

I recently purchased an old school CD changer. I want to be able to catalog all my CD's and number them as I load them into the changer for faster identification and programming. Those that have large CD/Albums or tape libraries how do you catalog them? Obviously all of these are cataloged in itunes already. I thought about just building an excel spreadsheet but man that would be a real PIA! I found this one but curious what others have used.

https://www.collectorz.com/music

That one!  For 15 years.

It I could figure out a way to upload all of that data I would go with Discography. 

14 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Pen and paper. 

Oldtimer that is certainly the cheapest option! However I'm hoping I can find something to speed up the process of doing the initial load of data. Eventually once populated I would export this info into excel and keep by my listening chair for quick access to whatever artist or track I want.

I use Discogs for my vinyl collection:

https://www.discogs.com/

Most things are already in the Discogs database, so you just need to enter artist name, album name, or catalog number and pick your version from the list of options.  All the track info, production information, credits, etc. is already entered for most items.  If you have one that isn't in the Discogs database, you can add it.  You can access your library from anywhere you have access to the internet using any web browser.  You can also download your library in .csv format for use on your local computer if you want.  And, Discogs is free.

Some day I may get my CDs entered in Discogs. But, that is less important to me since I have them all ripped to FLAC and the CD information is in Fubar 2000 (what I use for FLAC playback; http://www.foobar2000.org/).

I've been using CollectorZ for about 12-13 years. I have it also on my tablet and cell phone so when I'm out music shopping and can't remember what I already own.

About 5-years ago my wife bought me a bar code reader for it for about $20 (not the one(s) CollectorZ sell). It has been the greatest addition to that program ever. So if your computer crashes, the bar code reader can have you back up a loooooot quicker than punching in the upcoming codes manually.

The only "con" I have is this: As I mentioned above, I have this on my cell phone and tablet. They are both the same brand and within a few months of manufacture date. When I'm done uploading the database to one device the program sees the other device as the same thing, so it won't let me upload to it unless.....  I shut off both devices and the PC, reboot the whole WiFi system, turn on the PC and then the device I want to upload to. Then be very sure to leave the other device turned off till you're done uploading to the other. Needless to say I don't upload to my tablet that often since I don't carry it with me outside the house that much.

Why?  If you load a CD into your computer and copy its tracks into iTunes, you can have iTunes go out and fetch all the track information you'd ever need, and it will all be there in iTunes.  I am sure MSFT has similar software, and there are probably a good number of others, too.

19 minutes ago, muel said:

I wouldn't mind trying another database but unless they allow an import of a properly formated csv file or such I will just make do with Excel.  That is way too many entries!

With CollectorZ you don't enter hardly anything. Once you scan the upc code of the CD/DVD the program accesses the internet and downloads all the info about that recording. Line art (sometimes front and back), track listings, year released, etc. I can usually enter in one data record in under 5 seconds.

And, if the upc code isn't found on line, the program can scan the disc when you put it in the drive and get that discs library code and look for it that way. But it's rare that I have to do that. At last resort you can manually enter the data in.

Screenshot_20170517-233657.png

Oh gawd don't get me started on iTunes... I'm a hater, I confess.

It all shows up in Foobar or Jriver or MediaMonkey etc.. but I track other information... notes about the music or recording, where I bought it, how much, when.  I didn't start adding the extra information until about 5 years ago so I'm lacking quite bit but it still makes a nice reference.  Sometimes I accidentally buy stuff that I already have so it is nice to have the list on my phone for a quick reference.  Really, I'm convincing myself as I type that a spreadsheet isn't a bad way for me to go.  

I see that Discogs lets you create new fields as well.  I guess it just depends on how much time you want to spend.  That will take a little more ambition on my part.  I'd say I'm perfectly happy with my spreadsheet but I don't have cover art.  Maybe I could import to Access and give the records a jpg attachment.  Over 2,000 items... Hmmm...  That's a lot of work!   Good luck to the OP!  

24 minutes ago, muel said:

Oh gawd don't get me started on iTunes... I'm a hater, I confess.

It all shows up in Foobar or Jriver or MediaMonkey etc.. but I track other information... notes about the music or recording, where I bought it, how much, when.  I didn't start adding the extra information until about 5 years ago so I'm lacking quite bit but it still makes a nice reference.  Sometimes I accidentally buy stuff that I already have so it is nice to have the list on my phone for a quick reference.  Really, I'm convincing myself as I type that a spreadsheet isn't a bad way for me to go.  

Sounds like a love of labor.

• Like 1