Solen caps?

When I bought my Forte II's and KLF-C7 they came with a bag of Solen caps in all the correct values for the speaks per the schematics posted here.  So before I go to update all of the xovers should I consider using something else that might be clearly better?

I've used Solen caps in most everything home audio and car audio related (crossovers) for the last 25+ years with no problems.  They are typically my go to on cap replacement as I've used higher end and don't hear enough justifiable difference in spending more.  There's just a point of diminishing return and my ears don't want to pay for any more.  Just my $.02

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexander said:

So before I go to update all of the xovers should I consider using something else that might be clearly better?

That's a good question.  Since you are going to update the caps anyway lets do this right the first time so it doesn't need to be done twice.  I'm with you.

I haven't used the Solen caps, but they have a great reputation from everything I've read.  If would take someone with a higher pay grade than mine to suggest something better.

While I tend to prefer film and foil caps because they are made according to the classical definition of a capacitor, 2 plates separated by a dielectric, I have used and like Solen caps.  They are excellent and don't cost too much.  I'd use them and not look back, assuming there is a reason to change the caps in the first place. 

The only speaker I've been able to hear that it need the caps replaced was 40 years old at the time. 

thanks gents, I know caps can be like Coke & Pepsi - some like one over the other. But having never listened to anything other than stock I wanted to see where the Solen faired in the big picture.

I got the Forte II's as a basket case if you will. Had to re cone the passives that looked like a foot went though them , xovers were pulled out, a project that never got finished. So I have put Crites Ti diaphragms and will swap out the caps that came with them  before I put them all back together again. 

• Like 1