7.2 Speaker Placement Suggestions (w/ room diagram)

kfree321

Hello all,

Pretty new to Home Theater Audio (and having my own space to set up said Home Theater Audio) so just looking for any tips or recommendations.  I know it sucks that the couch is pretty much up against the wall, but it won't fit if rotated to put the TV on the short wall.  I did move it away from the wall 2 feet, but got yelled at by the wife.  It's currently about a foot away from the wall.

Receiver used  : Sony STR DN-1050

Speakers : 2 RF 42 ii

RC 42 ii

2 RS 41 ii

2 RB 41 ii

I attached a diagram of the room which shows the current speaker placement's, but I am moving them pretty frequently to try and find the best combo :).

I have thought about putting the RB 41 ii's in the front of the room and mount them up as Front "Heights".  Has anyone tried doing this, if so, how were the results?  I would then use the RS 41 ii's as the rear channels.

I can still return the 2 RS 41 ii's if that helps any recommendations.

Thanks for your time

Kyle

TV ROOM2.png

• 2 weeks later...

not to be rude, but dude, you are _________ (insert favorite word)

question 1: are the subs placed there because they "have to be" (WAF) or did you do the bass crawl?

question 2: is your seat dead center of the TV on that couch?

if you would have asked me before you bought anything i would have suggested you not go 7.1.  to me, it's better to go with a really good 3.1 than trying to force a 5.1 / 7.1.  i have moved from a 7.1 to a 3.1 because my new home just doesn't work for surround sound.  i mean, yeah sure, i can get noise to come of the speakers, but i won't be able to turn it good enough to makes that magical bubble of surround sound.

your direct speakers (RB41) sound be closer to 90* to your listening position.  they can also be slightly behind (if needed)

did you check to see if the RS42 speakers sounded better being mounted a little closer together and above the window (angled down)?

WAF is very important, so, for the most part are the placement of those speakers centered around that? if so, then none of this matters.  place them where you won't get yelled at! lmao!

oh, i wanted to have 2 subs a very long time ago.  when i did all my research "The Ear" (not sure if he is still on here) basically told me, finding the right place for 1 sub can be hard and finding the placement of 2 subs can almost be impossible! there were a lot of terms and math and diagrams and charts and and and and and....(get the point). basically it comes down to, 1 sub can actually cancel out the other subs wave length.  i figured, it was cheaper to have 1 sub, so i went that way....lol.  my OCD wanted two subs so the room was "balanced".  you will have to find a super good sub guru if you want real help in that area.  typically the "normal" livingroom HT the sub is governed by where it CAN go, not where it NEEDS to go.  i only had 2 physical options and the bass crawl helped me pic the better option. 

I have a similar situation to yours.  My living room 18 x 23.  Forget 7.2, your best bet is 5.2.  Move the SS back a little bit so they're directly to the side of the main listening position or just slightly to the front of it.  Forget about the rear surrounds, you won't get much out of them.  That's how mine is set up and I was getting good surround with my couch only being 8 inches off the wall.  I just added some two inch mineral wool panels directly behind the main listening position and it has made a huge improvement.  I made them myself and let the wife pick out some fabric that allows for absorption.  I'm putting up some more to make it look like artwork in a few other spots and she's happy.   I've noticed so much more detail from my center channel and my surrounds have just come alive.  Worry about that first.  Then you might want to consider a 6.2 by experimenting with one rear surround directly behind the main listening position of the couch pointing straight up and seeing if you notice any improvements.  I've heard some people say it works for them, but right now, get your 5.2 set up properly.