another bites the dust

dirtmudd

Chris Cornell, Soundgarden and Audioslave Frontman, Dies at 52

Photo
19Cornell-master768.jpg

Chris Cornell during a Soundgarden reunion concert in Newark in 2011. CreditChad Batka for The New York Times

Chris Cornell, the powerful, dynamic singer whose band Soundgarden was one of the architects of grunge music, has died at 52.

Mr. Cornell died Wednesday night in Detroit, said his representative, Brian Bumbery, in a statement that called the death “sudden and unexpected” and that said the singer’s family would be “working closely with the medical examiner to determine the cause.”

Mr. Cornell was born in 1964 in Seattle and helped form Soundgarden 20 years later. Sub Pop, then a fledgling record label, released the group’s first single, “Hunted Down,” in 1987, as well as two subsequent EPs. The group’s debut album, “Ultramega OK,” came a year later.

“Badmotorfinger,” released in 1991, benefited from the swell of attention that was beginning to surround the Seattle scene, where Soundgarden, along with Nirvana and Pearl Jam, were playing a high-octane, high-angst brand of rock ’n’ roll. Soundgarden’s musical journeys tended toward the knotty and dark, plunging into off-kilter meters and punctuated by Mr. Cornell’s voice, which could quickly shift from a soulful howl to a gritty growl.

• Like 1

That bums me out.  Guy had an awesome voice.  He was part of the quad of bands that I listened to a ton in high school.  Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana.  I still listen to them today.  All part of the Seattle 'grunge' movement back then.  Eddie Vedder is the only lead left out of the four bands.  Man, kind of makes me feel old.

I'm thinking not suicide, but autoerotic asphyxiation gone wrong, like Michael Hutchins of INXS. Guy's on the road, married, away from his wife, doesn't want to fool around with groupies, but has seen/done it all and wants a little extra kick in his "solo activities". One mistake and it's "That's All, Folks". (Been there, but too afraid to done that...)

Regardless, it still sucks.

It's astonishing how so many of the prominent lead singers have passed from this era.  Out of my 4 favorite bands from the early 90's, only one is still alive...no pun intended.  Eddie Vedder.  It started with Kurt, then came Layne and Scott last year.  Now, Chris.  There were a few other guys back in the day that were unable to survive their wild youth.  It really surprises me about Chris.  Even though he battled some drug issues, he seemed like the most level-headed of the group.  I guess I won't get to see these guys in reunion tours 20 years from now like my parents have been able to enjoy so many acts from the 60's and 70's. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, japosey said:

It's astonishing how so many of the prominent lead singers have passed from this era.  Out of my 4 favorite bands from the early 90's, only one is still alive...no pun intended.  Eddie Vedder.  It started with Kurt, then came Layne and Scott last year.  Now, Chris.  There were a few other guys back in the day that were unable to survive their wild youth.  It really surprises me about Chris.  Even though he battled some drug issues, he seemed like the most level-headed of the group.  I guess I won't get to see these guys in reunion tours 20 years from now like my parents have been able to enjoy so many acts from the 60's and 70's. 

I said almost the same thing about 3 posts up.  Thanks for reminding me about Scott, absolutely one of my favorites, so that make 4 gone out of 5 favs for me.  Really sad thing is, I never got to see any of them in concert.

• Like 1

My wife and I saw the PJ20 tour at Alpine Valley September 2011.  Chris came out during Pearl Jam's set and they did Hunger Strike, Reach Down, and Say Hello 2 Heaven.  So awesome to see them perform Temple of the Dog material.

Sadly never saw a Soundgarden show.

Looks like anxiety medicine may have brought on poor judgment....?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-cornells-wife-issues-statement-w483179?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=daily&utm_campaign=051917_10