Pre/Pro that wont break the bank?

Max2

I had an old AVR peter out on me in our living room, so I'm going to move my Denon 4311 from my listening space down there and replace it with a dedicated Pre/Pro.  Would like to have at least 7.1 capability with 2 sub outputs. Don't have to have Atmos or even room correction for that matter.  Considering some of the last year Pre/Pro series from Marantz over at accessories for less, and have even considered the basic Outlaw audio multi channel pre offering.   I'm 99% a 2 channel music listener, but need a multi channel setup to keep the theater complete and to listen to multi channel SACD's and DVDA's. I have to say, the Denon I'm using sounds pretty clean paired with my Mac amp, so if its going to cost me money, I would like to have some sort of sound improvement even if its just on paper.

Maybe some of the folks here have some other suggestions.

Thanks friends

There are a lot of good avr's that can act as the processor and let you use the Mc amp.  These top of the line avr are every bit as good as a separate processor IMHO.  I use an avr with an outboard amp and have not wanted to change for some years now.  Some of these avr will housed the preamp and amp in separate compartments.  Pioneer does the separate housing for the amp and preamp.

https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR7010-R-Surround-Bluetooth-Recertified/dp/B01H3QNVKO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495216573&sr=8-3&keywords=marantz+sr7010

44 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

There are a lot of good avr's that can act as the processor and let you use the Mc amp.  These top of the line avr are every bit as good as a separate processor IMHO.  I use an avr with an outboard amp and have not wanted to change for some years now.  Some of these avr will housed the preamp and amp in separate compartments.  Pioneer does the separate housing for the amp and preamp.

https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR7010-R-Surround-Bluetooth-Recertified/dp/B01H3QNVKO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495216573&sr=8-3&keywords=marantz+sr7010

I'm running an AVR 4311 now with it. Its a quite a few years old, but does a very decent job in 2 channel direct.  I'm hoping to not buy more of the same the next round and try to cross the bridge to a dedicated PRE/PRO.

• Like 1

No I have K's for fronts and Ls's for rears, so Im not down sizing to a 2 channel system without putting some decent cash in my pocket. I would never give up my rear LS's anyway. A 2 channel pre would be so much easier to choose.  Im kind of liking the Marantz 7703 and its price on accessories 4 less, but I am very intrigued b the AVM 60, which I would have to wait a few more months due to a manic spend.

I would gush over a NAD M17, but its way out of my league.

Another Emotiva fan boy, you can get some good deals on used stuff, and the warranty transfers. Saw a xmc go for 1400.00 the other day on their forum. UMC can be had for a song now, some had problems but I never did. Loved mine good sound for a pre/pro. The XMC is in another league compared to the UMC though.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for Emotiva.

MC-700 is the way to go.

my reason, 1, it's Emotiva. 2, it supports HDR

if you don't care about the latest and greatest video performance and will truly only use your processor for music, try and find a cheap UMC-1 or UMC200.  those both sound the same and i bet the MC-700 will sound similar to both of those.  if you really want to get fancy, contact Soniccraft.com, get either of the UMC's, but replace the caps to your taste! 

the Emotiva amp will have a greater influence over your final sound so if you are nuts enough to change caps, then chance the ones in the amp as well! (or really, just leave them alone!)

oh, almost forgot, for $50, get the bluetooth dongle for the mc-700, you can link your phone to your system!

• 5 weeks later...

I am resurrecting this thread rather than start a new one.  I am in the market for a new/different AV Pre/Pro that will be used for audio and video.  My Emotiva UMC-1 has developed an intermittent turn off pop and I will send it in for factory service once pulled from the system and offer it for sale.  It has served me very well and been excellent up until now. 

I do like the Onkyo Intregra 80.3 listed above as well as the Yamaha CXA-5000 listed on the website as I do have front effects speakers that I would like to utilize.  I really want a pre/pro that can do "all channel stereo" as well like my old NAD T163 used to.  I do not want a NAD though I found it noisy (lots of hiss, even when idle).  Not interested in the MC-700 too basic (seems very cheaply built) and I do not want any future issues.  I don't want a receiver either as I have plenty of outboard amplification unless it is just too good a deal to pass up.  What else is out there in the up to $1300 range?  Thanks for the assistance in advance.

7 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

I really want a pre/pro that can do "all channel stereo" as well like my old NAD T163 used to.  I do not want a NAD though I found it noisy (lots of hiss, even when idle). 

My NAD T773 has a faint hiss also but the newer generation pre/pros(T175HD, T187) do not have this problem.  Also look at the Integra 80.3, Yamaha CX-A5000/5100, and Anthem AVM-60.

Bill

1 hour ago, Frzninvt said:

I do like the Onkyo Intregra 80.3 listed above as well as the Yamaha CXA-5000 listed on the website as I do have front effects speakers that I would like to utilize.  I really want a pre/pro that can do "all channel stereo" as well like my old NAD T163 used to.  I do not want a NAD though I found it noisy (lots of hiss, even when idle).  Not interested in the MC-700 too basic (seems very cheaply built) and I do not want any future issues.  I don't want a receiver either as I have plenty of outboard amplification unless it is just too good a deal to pass up.  What else is out there in the up to $1300 range?  Thanks for the assistance in advance.

I cannot speak much to any pre/pros as I'm not ready to move to them (yet, maybe someday)  but I can speak well about my Integra receiver.  it's a sizable beast.  I don't have to worry about my cabinetry moving much with that jewel inside.  have had mine since early this yr, and has served me well.  so I do like their product, and seem like a worthwhile investment.  good luck in your search

The Integra 80.2 or 80.3 are good choices as are their sister styles Onkyo PR-SC 5508/5509

They incorporate Audyssey XT32 room correction with both wide and height (effects) processing, There's a plethora of DSP settings including all channel stereo.

5 years strong now with my 5508 :emotion-22:

1 hour ago, willland said:

Anthem AVM-60.

Anthem is a music first corporation.  I've never heard one of their pieces of electronics that I didn't absolutely love.  I currently have 2 of their products that I've owned for 10+ years and haven't had one iota of trouble from either which is amazing considering all the D2 with ARC can do.  I've never needed a repair, reset or new software on either piece.

• Like 1