Pre/Pro that wont break the bank?

Max2

51 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Anthem is a music first corporation.  I've never heard one of their pieces of electronics that I didn't absolutely love.  I currently have 2 of their products that I've owned for 10+ years and haven't had one iota of trouble from either which is amazing considering all the D2 with ARC can do.  I've never needed a repair, reset or new software on either piece.

I am just the opposite with Anthem.  I have demo'ed several pieces of their gear and with different setups..  I find their amps a bit anemic, lack dynamics for the cost.  Although, I would not take one for free, it goes to show how important it is to try a unit  out for yourself.

4 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

I am just the opposite with Anthem.  I have demo'ed several pieces of their gear and with different setups..  I find their amps a bit anemic, lack dynamics for the cost.  Although, I would not take one for free, it goes to show how important it is to try a unit  out for yourself.

YMMV;)

I thought the same the first and second time.  But, I have heard them in well Tx room, and also for HT and just have never been impressed.  I will hold out hope for the day that one of their units puts a smile on my face.  A lot of people like them and I may be a rare bird.  For the money you will spend, I would just be open to a lot more choices to pick from.

Neither of the pieces I have has any amplification.  I have a HT pre-pro and a 2 channel preamp.  The only time I've heard the amps was at a showroom.  They were hooked up to Paradigm speakers (sister company I believe) and they blew me way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

The Anthem AVM-60 is $3K though unless they can be found for half that amount it is more than I want to spend right now.  I am leaning toward the Onkyo at this point.

I can understand that.  

Are you up for considering a flagship AVR like the Anthem MRX-710 or NAD T777 or T787?  As far as I know, both NAD and Anthem equip the AVR's with the same guts as their pre/pros plus onboard amplification.  All have 7.1/7.2 preouts.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/receivers-nad-t787-t-787-best-sounding-av-receiver-with-warranty-and-free-4k-video-module-2017-06-29-miscellaneous

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/receivers-nad-t-777-t777-av-receiver-with-warranty-and-vm300-4k-video-module-installed-2017-06-26-miscellaneous

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/6194707495.html

Bill

4 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I feel the opposite also.  I feel they are about as close as I have heard to the Acurus amps I own and have owned.  Dead on neutral with great dynamics, detail, and punch.  

Bill

That NAD 787 is a beast!  I suppose I could part with my 7 channel amp and just use the receiver since it looks pretty stout and I am running all Heritage anyway.  I did love the sound of my NAD T163 but the background hiss was really annoying.  When it died the Emo was intended to be a temporary replacement.

I have a brother in law that lives in Wake Forest, NC.

56 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

That NAD 787 is a beast!

Yes it is.

56 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

I suppose I could part with my 7 channel amp and just use the receiver since it looks pretty stout and I am running all Heritage anyway.

I am a huge outboard amp fan but the onboard amps of the 787 are pretty stout.  I know those in my T773 sure do have some ooomph.

Bill