R-28f or RP-260f for 5.0 setup?

dakchi

Hello,

I would like to purchase a new HT set of speakers and I thought that Klipsch could be a good choice, although I don't like their design. I have some hesitation on the front speakers between the R-28f and the RP-260f. A lot of people prefer the RP-260f for music, but I plan to use them only for HT. I already have a pair of B&W CM9 S2 for stereo music. My question to you is: for HT only use, would you recommend the R-28f that has good bass or the RP-260f that is more detailed (for HT?) ? I will use a B&W PV1 subwoofer with this setup and a Denon X2300w AV amp

Thank you for your help

Please understand that they are not in the same league.  The RP-260F is a far superior speaker to the R-28F.  The latter is a glorified Icon speaker that is marketed exclusively for big box stores to push out units.  The RP-260F is a speaker that is designed for longevity and quality, and should run all over anything you can get at Best Buy.

THK: are you really suggesting that the dual 8" woofers of the R-28F are going to get run over by a pair of 6.5" woofers?  Do you think the woofers in the R-28F will have higher distortion than the ones in the RP260 because if you do you would be wrong. The slower conical flair of the 260/280 horns will likely have a little bit less distortion Vs the R-28F horn but it is more efficient so I would not expect too much difference between the two overall. The parts in the R-28F are not junk they are on par with other RF series 8" woofers as are the horn drivers which by the way are not to the level of design or build quality when compared to older Klipsch designs. You seem to be suggesting that one is so much trash and the other is the real deal. You are kidding yourself. I have not looked but I would expect the networks in the 260 and 280 are more complex than the ones in the R-28F but simple networks are not all bad. 

An acquaintance of mine who has some of the most modified Forte ll there are and who's opinion I very much respect just last year bought a set of R-28F and upgraded the networks in them and they have replaced his much loved Forte ll. I believe you may be discounting the R-28F just because it is available at Best Buy.

I would suggest that the op go listen to both, for HT larger woofers are always a good plan. 

Moray, I respectfully disagree.  The R-28F's have not seen any updates to the schematic since the KF-28.  They are identical speakers.  They have lesser build quality, with parts that are not akin to that of the RF line.  We're talking drivers made out of totally different parts, right down to the crossover.  I'm not discounting them just because they're available at Best Buy, in fact if you've followed any of what I've said in the past, you'd know I rave about the first generation Synergy line.

I have a hard time believing that the IMG cones and aluminum tweets in a two-way entry-level design bested a three-way design that Roy was involved in making (and PWK for that matter).  What's more, I've heard R-28F's in configuration along side of RF-62 II's.  There is absolutely no comparison.  The bass is tighter, the highs are clearer.  The bass hits hard enough that you can feel it when EQ'd properly.  The OP has a subwoofer he's proposing to use in his configuration that is more than adequately capable of handling the Low Bass extension, so I have trouble seeing what you're getting at.

Are you sure you aren't confusing this for the RF-82's vs. the 260's?

You are right The History Kid, my subwoofer handles very well the low bass. I don't think I will need more bass. Knowing that, I even thought of buying bookshelf speakers instead of floorstanding speakers. At the end the difference between the 2 is the bass and I have plenty of bass with my subwoofer

I have the RP 260F and use them for music and movies. I absolutely love them. They are detailed and refined, use the new horn design and go VERY loud. They are hard to beat for the money. Seeing that you have a sub, I would choose the the RP 260F again any day. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dakchi said:

At the end the difference between the 2 is the bass

Eh, not really, at least in my opinion.  The bigger difference is that the reference premier line used titanium diaphram tweets while the lower tier is aluminum.  Typically if you put these head to head, titanium's gonna win.  Smoother and less harsh up high at higher volumes.  Reference premier in general sounds more laid back than most any other Klipsch tower.  

But no I wouldn't base this decision on perceived bass output.  The RP-260F goes plenty low enough for home theater when you're using a sub.  I'm using them myself right now.  Had them cranked last night, playing 90's rock while playing drums with headphones on, four 18's filling in the low end.  Only thing I don't like about them is that they're small.  Most people like the more majestic looking taller speakers.  These look a bit dinky.  Most people are happy to upgrade to the RP-280F's based on looks alone.  

• Like 1