Upside down speakers

First post in quite some time here. 

Heres my question, I have a pair of chourous IIs that I listen to for when I want more bass and attack for say electronic music and movies, and am running a pair of heresy iis on top that I prefer the mid range and top end on. Running the heresys on tubes, and can switch to the chourous from my integrated solid state (serving as pre on tubes). With the heresys on top the tweeters are right around standing height, but I had a thought; flipping them 180* would put them very close to perfect head level sitting down. I know that running them sideways is non ideal, but would you run into any issues with them upside down? 

Cheers

-khorns jr

• Like 2

I have a small home theater room. I have a pair of Fortes' I but I only used them for music (vinyl & CD). On top of them I have a pair of Heresys, upside down so that the tweeter/midrange are at ear level sitting down, I have an RWD 12, sitting in the center with another heresy (center speaker) sitting on top of it right side up, which makes all the highs at about the same level. These are for watching movies. It works great! Sitting down you really can't tell whether the sound is coming from the Heresys or the Fortes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Terry Palmer said:

I have a small home theater room. I have a pair of Fortes' I but I only used them for music (vinyl & CD). On top of them I have a pair of Heresys, upside down so that the tweeter/midrange are at ear level sitting down, I have an RWD 12, sitting in the center with another heresy (center speaker) sitting on top of it right side up, which makes all the highs at about the same level. These are for watching movies. It works great! Sitting down you really can't tell whether the sound is coming from the Heresys or the Fortes

Awesome, thanks.

If you are not running them at the same time, it doesn't matter. 

When they are running at the same time, having the tweeters close together will reduce interference lobing in the frequency response. 

I have been doing this with two pairs of Heresys since the 1980's...stacking the upper pair upside down on the lower pair...and it really sounds great that way.  The first time I did it, I was DJ'ing a frat party while in college (which is where I went after I left Klipsch in 1983).  The music system was set up with the home-owner's Heresys inside his totally empty detached garage firing out into his backyard through the open double-wide garage door.  I put a soft towel atop each of his Heresys and stacked my flame twins upside on top of his, running both pairs through speakers A&B front outputs on my H/K 900+ quad receiver, which was outside under an awning just to the right of the garage, with my reel deck, turntable, and cassette deck.  The amplifier section could push a very conservatively-rated 32 WPC into each speaker which was way more than enough to rock the joint!  I never even had to push the volume control up to 10 o'clock the entire night.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Terry Palmer said:

No I don't run them at the same time. I have an older solid state Denon amp for music to the Fortes. And a newer Denon AVR receiver for the Heresys and movies.

Dumb question but what do you like better about the Heresy's mid/treble that you think is better than the Chorus IIs?  

I have the Fortes and not the Choruses haven't heard any Choruses in a very long time. But the Heresys are brighter sounding then the Fortes in my opinion. Which is why I prefer the Fortes for music, plus the Fortes have a better overall frequency more low end than the Heresys. But with the Heresys I use a subwoofer.

On 5/21/2017 at 6:56 AM, pzannucci said:

Dumb question but what do you like better about the Heresy's mid/treble that you think is better than the Chorus IIs?  

They have far better detail and staging than the choruses. For music that wants to dig deeper the choruses work a lot better, but for, lets say acoustic finger style guitar the detail on the heresys is much much better. I suspect that this because the choruses had a rather rough life before i took ownership of them in a club or similar, and am contemplating repair/upgrades on them.

Interesting since they are pretty much the same drivers.  Either a rough life or the fact that the Heresys don't have as much deep bass response, it does not obscure the detail of the highs as much.  Sometimes 3 way speakers can step on themselves.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 3:54 AM, melovesheresys said:

They have far better detail and staging than the choruses. For music that wants to dig deeper the choruses work a lot better, but for, lets say acoustic finger style guitar the detail on the heresys is much much better. I suspect that this because the choruses had a rather rough life before i took ownership of them in a club or similar, and am contemplating repair/upgrades on them.

This is Me Loves Khorns, his father who started the audio madness!!!

The Choruses are industrial model ones.  We found them at a pawn shop at a great price couple of years ago.

His Heresy's are spotless and in better shape functional and visually.

So he has been experimenting using the two different speakers with both his Yamaha SS Integrated, and then also using the Yammy as a preamp for his ST-70 amp.