Thoughts on Using CF-4 Horn for CornScala?

jjptkd

So I've been planning a build for some time now of a custom CornScala type speaker but in something more along the lines of a Chorus I cabinet. Parts I have so far and planning on using are the CT-120 tweeters, K-601 pro mid horn with the A55g mid driver, possibly a Cornwall B-2 crossover? and I'm still undecided on the 15" woofer. I've been watching closely for a pair k-48, 4 ohm woofers from the Chorus models but so far haven't had any luck finding a pair.

Anyway, I happened upon a pair of CF-4 horns with drivers and they've got me thinking, could I should I use these horns for the mids and possibly switch to a 500 / 5000 crossover? Another possibility is building a 2-way speaker kind of like the KI-396 in one of those flat pack PA cabinets from parts express but what crossover to use?

I also already have rebuilt Chorus II crossovers with a pair of K-792 tweeters, wondering if I should just use those with the CF-4 mid horn and A55g mid driver?

My preference would be a Chorus I style, 3-way speaker cabinet with the k-48 woofer and A55g mid driver, everything else is open to consideration at this point. I'm just throwing some thoughts out into the wind here, any input would be appreciated, thanks!

I can't imagine how the horn from a 2-way would mate with a compression driver from a 3-way mated with a crossover network that wasn't designed for either one.

In other words, go for it!  (I love doing stuff like that)

+++

My CF-4 K-63-N compression driver was replaced with an Electro Voice DH-1506 and works very well.  The EV DH-1506 can be found on Ebay or CL (nationwide search) from time-to-time and should cost about $200 pr shipped.

EV DH1505 and K-63 IMG_4285.JPG

EV DH1505 + CF-4 horn  IMG_4290.JPG

Thanks for the response! For me trying new things is a big part of the fun in this hobby and always have at least a few different sets of speakers on rotation. I'll experiment a bit with these new horns and see what happens, hopefully I can make them work. I think it would be pretty cool to have a pair of Chorus I's with the CF-4 horn though!

From what I understand these older Heritage crossovers are pretty basic, only providing cut off points and level matching of the drivers through the transformers but no real EQ'ing of any kind. The only real wild card here would be the horn as all other drivers would correspond to which ever crossover I decide on. The A55g driver has its own natural cut off at around 6300hz on the top end and I'm guessing is good down to around 400hz since its used in the K-horn and LaScala, I'm just not sure if that horn is good down to 500hz but really I don't see why not? I thought I read somewhere it was the poor mans k-510? Just curious if anyone else has tried this before?

Anyway, they're in the mail and I'll do some frequency response and output testing with my limited on hand equipment, should give me an idea of where I stand anyway on range and how flat the response is in that range although I have no way to measure distortion. The A55g sounds really good in my k-601's, pretty flat response from about 530hz-6300hz, at least while powered through a forte II crossover.

17 minutes ago, avguytx said:

If I remember correctly from corresponding with Roy, the CF horns are crossed over higher being a 2-way design so you may have some frequency issues down at a lower crossover point.  

Yes, I believe they have a crossover point at 1500hz in the CF-4? Looking at the KLF horns though they look very similar in depth / shape and they work in much lower frequencies, 750hz in the 20's and 825hz in the 30's and overall the horns are much smaller? The Chorus II crossover point is listed at 600hz but really with the bigger horn I was hoping to get it down to 500hz. 

They are due to arrive this Thursday and I'll run some frequency sweeps with the A-55g driver through a Chorus II crossover and see what happens. Either way I got a pretty good deal on the set, hopefully I can use the horns and can sell the k-63 drivers to recoup the cost or if the horns won't work I may just keep the whole set for a future 2-way project.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Yes, I believe they have a crossover point at 1500hz in the CF-4?

There is a little confusion on the exact XO point as I have seen a couple of different values.  I believe you have it right, 1500 Hz.