Klipsch RP-250f vs 260f

Kasfury

Currently doing some early research on my first 5.1 setup. Most likely going in a family room. Setup would be geared towards home theater with only 5% use for music. 

I have looked over the specs and 260 is better but how much better is the question. I can get the pair of 250s for $100 less. For center I am looking at the RP-250c and R-15m as rear speakers. Not sure about sub since that may depend on which floor speaker I go with.

I wouldn't go smaller than the RP-260F personally, they're cheap enough and get the job done.  Anything smaller gets into compromise territory both in performance and looks.  Also look at the RP-150M or even 160M before you get the R-15M.  For home theater I wouldn't look at anything except the R-115SW.  If you can fit a 12, you can probably fit a 15, it's only like an extra 4" footprint in both directions.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. I have already had to talk myself up from the Klipsch R-28f found in Best Buy. This is my first setup so I want quality but I dont need the best. I think the R-115sw would be overkill for me honestly. I have read alot of great comments about the RP-260f but want to know how the RP-250f compares with its 5.25 woofers.

• Like 1

Right now I have the RP-250F up front, RP-250C center, RP-150Ms in the rear and R-110SW sub. For the two living rooms I've had this in it sounds spectacular. 5.25" all around with a 10" sub. I actually did have the bigger RP-260F towers before and I honestly can't tell a bit of difference with the sub tuned correctly (also had the RP-450C center before). I love this forum but everyone on forums always recommends going as large as possible and maxing out your budget and credit cards. I wanted smaller footprints in the room and saved some money and for the size of my smallish rooms I don't regret a thing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MikeyIdaho said:

I love this forum but everyone on forums always recommends going as large as possible and maxing out your budget and credit cards.

Hey now, not nice to lump us all in one group.:o:P

I am always in the group that suggests the largest speaker you can "afford" and find them used to save even more $$$.

As far as the RP-250 system, I have heard more than once that they can hold their own very well in a small to medium room just like their past generation RF-52II system.  I do think many suggest the RP-260F because they are right in the middle as the sweet spot model with their 6.5 woofers and taller height.

5 hours ago, MikeyIdaho said:

I wanted smaller footprints in the room and saved some money and for the size of my smallish rooms I don't regret a thing. 

Don't regret, just enjoy.:emotion-21::emotion-21:

Bill

• Like 1

On 5/31/2017 at 11:44 PM, Kasfury said:

Thanks for the reply. I have already had to talk myself up from the Klipsch R-28f found in Best Buy. This is my first setup so I want quality but I dont need the best. I think the R-115sw would be overkill for me honestly. I have read alot of great comments about the RP-260f but want to know how the RP-250f compares with its 5.25 woofers.

I had the R-28F and have sold them.  I think you talked yourself into a very good change in plan there.  The difference is very big imo.

There's a lot of experience in here and it's not like AVSforum where bigger is always better.  Some components should be and some don't need to be.

The 250Fs will be great.  They have plenty of SPL, have dual woofers which minimizes the floor bounce and a spectacular tweeter that you'll love (imo).

If getting the 250Fs vs the 260Fs would cause you to buy a 115SW, I would again say good call.  The comments above are right about that.

I've seen and heard the 250s, 260s and 280s, and have heard most of the predecessors also.  I think there is the 280s and then the others, I don't think I would really separate the 260s from the 250s.   The 280s are also huge, and that is an important factor to consider in a lot of rooms.

I would take my RF52ii over the R28fs any day.  I would trade someone my RF52iis for RF62iis, but I wouldn't throw in any more cash for them if that helps to understand my feelings on them.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2017 at 10:18 PM, MikeyIdaho said:

Right now I have the RP-250F up front, RP-250C center, RP-150Ms in the rear and R-110SW sub. For the two living rooms I've had this in it sounds spectacular. 5.25" all around with a 10" sub. I actually did have the bigger RP-260F towers before and I honestly can't tell a bit of difference with the sub tuned correctly (also had the RP-450C center before). I love this forum but everyone on forums always recommends going as large as possible and maxing out your budget and credit cards. I wanted smaller footprints in the room and saved some money and for the size of my smallish rooms I don't regret a thing. 

This is the exact setup I am leaning towards. I may add the klipsch atmos speakers down the road. What size is your room?