Multiple Subs

chasec2021

Hey guys! I own a Denon 6300h receiver and am considering a dual subwoofer setup since the 6300h supports that. I am currently looking at the Klipsch R112SW (12" / 300w) and Klipsch R115SW (15" / 400w).

My main listening area (living room) is only 18' wide x 14' deep but the living room opens up to the dining room and kitchen by another 28 feet. So there are really only 3 walls in my "living room". See the attached floor plan for a visual. :)

I'm planning to place sub #1 by the left side of the TV (front of the room) and sub #2 to the right side of the couch (the side that opens up to dining room and kitchen). Of course I'm open to other suggestions as well...

Anyways, I have read that you should use the same subs in a dual setup but I'm wondering if I could use the 12inch Klipsch for position #1 and the 15 inch klipsch for position #2. Or do you think that's nonsense and I should just go with the 12 inch for both positions? (I can't do 15" for both since it would be too large for the front sub #1 position)

I'd really appreciate your input. Never run a dual subwoofer setup before.

subs2.jpg

Venicenerd,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice looking room.  I would definitely place the larger sub to the right of the couch since that is the open end of the room and you will lose some output.  Near field placement is good in a room like yours with a huge open end floorplan.  Try both sub placement as planned and then swap the 12" to the right of the TV and the 15" to the left of the couch.  Run Audyssey with both configurations and see(hear) what you like best.

Bill

• Like 1

5 hours ago, willland said:

Venicenerd,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice looking room.  I would definitely place the larger sub to the right of the couch since that is the open end of the room and you will lose some output.  Near field placement is good in a room like yours with a huge open end floorplan.  Try both sub placement as planned and then swap the 12" to the right of the TV and the 15" to the left of the couch.  Run Audyssey with both configurations and see(hear) what you like best.

Bill

Thank you, Bill! So you would recommend me going with the 12" and 15" in tandem instead of going with 2x 12"? For sub #2 (the one by the couch) where should the opening of the speaker point? Towards the couch? Towards the TV? Or towards the open room? I'll have sub #1 facing towards the couch, of course, not sure where the second one should point, or if it even matters. 

7 minutes ago, venicenerd said:

Thank you, Bill! So you would recommend me going with the 12" and 15" in tandem instead of going with 2x 12"

Ideally 2 x 15" would be "best" but if budget only permits one 12" and one 15", then that's fine.

Look at my family room setup, 2 x 10", 1 x 13.5", 1 x 15".  No problem here with multiple sizes and brands.

10 minutes ago, venicenerd said:

For sub #2 (the one by the couch) where should the opening of the speaker point? Towards the couch? Towards the TV? Or towards the open room?

Try it different ways.  Toward the couch you would "feel" the sub more during high impact movie scenes.  Toward the love seat, it may get a bit boomy.  Toward the open end you will lose more bass.

Bill

Here is another option:  https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7097

These kits are easy to put together and can be done in under 1 hour.  All you need is Gorilla Glue, clamps or duck tape.  These  can be powered with a I Nuke 6000 amp.  http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blemished/Behringer/iNUKE-NU6000DSP-Level-2-Regular-888366010532-H79226005000020.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CJHAjtOMk9QCFcm1wAod7SsDEg&kwid=productads-adid^66736785762-device^c-plaid^134292306522-sku^H79226005000020@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

This might be a bit over budget but, in the long run it may be worth it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

@ACV92 just put together one of those kits.  He could offer some insight and check out his build, his finished sub looks fantastic.

IMG_20170519_151945_920.jpg

I put together the baby brother of the Ultimax, the Reference 15 w/500 wpc plate amp.  Highly recommended.

The real cost savings when doing the DIY subs is when you can build two boxes and power them with a single Inuke 6000 w/dsp.  Terrific bang-for-the-buck.

Edit:  The Umax 15 takes 800 wpc.  An Inuke 3000 w/dsp might do the trick as well.

• Like 2