Parasound AMP/PRE-AMP with KLF 20's?

RZDC

Greetings to everyone and I hope everyone is having a great summer. This is my first post on this forum.

I am a neophyte and have no knowledge of high fidelity, amplifiers, preamplifier's, and the like. However, I have a pair of Klipsch KLF 20s which I absolutely love, unfortunately, I have toasted three receivers in the process.

I have successfully  acquired 'tested working' components manufactured by Parasound;  HCA 1000 amp and P/SP-1000 pre-amp.

after connecting everything with my speakers and CD player, the sound is horrible, there is popping, and I obviously overlooked something.

I've taken the liberty to  attach a picture of the components from the rear  and a PDF document for perusal if desired.

I'm looking for some guidance as to properly connecting these devices enjoy my  music.

Thank you in advance to any and all responses

Robert

klipsch parasound.pdf

WIN_20170521_10_15_16_Pro.jpg

Robert,

Welcome to the forum.

Just saw your post on Audiogon and was about to respond to it.

First, make sure no power to any equipment.

1)CD player out via stereo(R & L) RCA cables to stereo(R & L) input(maybe labeled CD) on preamp

2)Preamp RCA preouts(R & L) to amplifier RCA stereo inputs(R & L)

3)Amplifier right speaker terminals(+ & -) to right KLF-20 speaker terminals(+ & -), amplifier left speaker terminals(+ & -) to left KLF-20 speaker terminals(+ & -) with speaker wires

Looks like your photo shows what I just explained.

Is that mono bridged toggle switched to off?

Are you certain your RCA cables are not defective?

Have you tried different RCA inputs on your preamp, like video 1?

Just saw this, try switching from L & R bypass to front/line to the R&L next to bypass.

Bill

2 minutes ago, RZDC said:

Thank you Bill, you have nailed the diagnosis.

Dx: Flakey RCA cable

Swapped it out; voila!

Now I am back listening to music!!!!

Thank you very much!!!

Robert

Robert,

Glad to hear you are rocking again.

That Parasound combo should do the trick.

Enjoy,

Bill

Why/how did you toast 3 receivers?! 

I had Parasound amps for a long time, including an HCA-1000A and enjoyed their sound immensely.  However, I have to send the 1203 back twice because the speaker relays would get bad and cause low output in one of more channels and crackle/static noises.  All under warranty, but the 2nd time I got it back, both went on ebay.  I have had zero trouble with my Acurus amps. 

Better cables wouldn't hurt, but don't spend a mint on them.  The cables I would recommend are not available.  Look for cables with tight fitting, gold-plated metallic ends under $25.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JR3R0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-feet-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B01IF3YW7U/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1495487584&sr=1-12&keywords=audio+cable+male+to+male

Glad you got it worked out! I've had some Parasound gear and really enjoyed it all including that HCA 1000, those are great amps! I just wanted to point out that there are volume control pots on the rear of the amplifier, I can only see the right one in the picture and it appears to be set in the middle. I'd turn both knobs all the way up or at the very least make sure they are set the same.