Room treatment to fix issues and add depth

No.4

a question for the others. could it be a time alignment issue with the tweeter being mounted so far back of the mid horn? that might explain the not quite sounding right sensation.

there looks like pleanty of panels in the room. are they all absorbtion panels or do some have diffusion?

Looks like the conditions of the green trace are going in the right direction. I can see why you're complaining of too much output above 5 kHz.

I'd recommend taking horizontal off-axis measurements, too, to check for beaming.  I'd align the microphone on-axis with the tweeter--at zero degree incidence of the microphone (looking dead on at the tweeter). 

It also looks like you can add even more absorption below the tweeter on top of the midrange horn.  The microphone blast filter idea would also be just about perfect in balancing the tweeter output, it seems.

Chris

54 minutes ago, edmjm said:

a question for the others. could it be a time alignment issue with the tweeter being mounted so far back of the mid horn? that might explain the not quite sounding right sensation.

The tweeter being time-aligned is a big, big deal: you suddenly get a greatly enhanced soundstage image.  The only thing to be careful of are nearfield reflections off the midrange horn itself and its mouth baffle. He's going in the right direction.  Just ask him how it sounds now.

56 minutes ago, edmjm said:

there looks like plenty of panels in the room. are they all absorption panels or do some have diffusion?

Nearfield panels need to be absorption in order to get even control of nearfield energy vs. frequency.  The problem with diffusion panels is that they're very sensitive to frequency, so you usually will use those further back toward the listening position on the side walls or on the ceiling.

Chris

52 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Looks like the conditions of the green trace are going in the right direction. I can see why you're complaining of too much output above 5 kHz.

I'd recommend taking horizontal off-axis measurements, too, to check for beaming.  I'd align the microphone on-axis with the tweeter--at zero degree incidence of the microphone (looking dead on at the tweeter). 

This is how I set up the microphone for the purple measurement in the previous post. Is the orientation correct?

IMG_0323.JPG

7 minutes ago, Marvel said:

If possible, I would raise the tweeter about three or four inches. I think it will sound a lot better, but then, that's how I have mine. ;)

Bruce

This is from ear height at the listening position. Maybe the previous photo makes it look like the tweeter is really low. 

IMG_0324.JPG