Klipsch Home Theater Speaker recommendation

AFGApache

Forum Members,

I have a family room that when built was designed to be a home theater room but I never completed it. I now want to complete it. It is prewired for 7.2 and designed for a ceiling projector. The room is 16' wide x 23' long. The back half of the room is 12" higher than the front to provide better viewing. Ceiling height is 10' at the front and 9' on the rear platform. The picture will be thrown on to a screen on the front 16' wall. The prewire is: front, center and sub speakers behind the front wall; Rear speakers wired in the rear ceiling; and Side speakers prewired about midway down and 6' off the floor. I have no understanding of speakers or what I need to complete a decent home theater system. I do have a brand new pair of Klipsch R26F towers that I thought I could use as the fronts (depends on your advice). Got them cheap as HHGreg was going out of business. I'm asking for design and speaker recommendations and would appreciate all advice. My home currently has Klipsch ceiling speakers in other areas and I love the sound. I don't have a large budget. I was hoping to spend no more than a couple grand on speakers and I'm not averse to used. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does this mean you have an acoustically transparent screen and can do identical LCR's?  

No. These will be free standing speakers... not in-wall type and will be positioned to the sides and under the screen that will be permanently mounted to the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plan on an RP-450C and at least one R-115SW.  You're just going to end up there anyway.  Get some RP-280F's, or 260's if you wanted to save a few bucks.  Use your existing towers for surrounds.  That will get you going.  If possible get some RP-250S and put them on the sides and put your existing towers behind you with the idea that you'll upgrade them later, otherwise just use the towers as surrounds for now and upgrade those later first as budget allows.  

Plan on an RP-450C and at least one R-115SW.  You're just going to end up there anyway.  Get some RP-280F's, or 260's if you wanted to save a few bucks.  Use your existing towers for surrounds.  That will get you going.  If possible get some RP-250S and put them on the sides and put your existing towers behind you with the idea that you'll upgrade them later, otherwise just use the towers as surrounds for now and upgrade those later first as budget allows.  

Not knowing the quality of these towers myself, I appreciate you showing how to incorporate them into my system. I had assumed they would be used for the left and right, but realize they must be too small for that application and are better suited for the rear surrounds. I like the idea of starting with a 5.1 system then upgrading as budget allows. Will a 7.2 receiver allow for this?

Not just the size but the ref premier has titanium tweets and are just smoother up high.  It would simply sound more pleasant with ref premier up front.  These would work ok for surrounds at least for awhile though.  Yes most any decent receiver is 7.2 nowadays so just get one of those and upgrade speakers as budget allows.  Just shoot for an easy upgrade path and you'll be ok.  

Thanks for the pic's.  I can see a 7.2 working in the room.  The two seats in the far back may miss some of the effect but, the surround back speakers should really be an asset. In-wall and in-ceiling speakers is the way to go for the side surrounds and surround back.  Aesthetically, they will fit in with the room and no real compromise IMHO.

If possible, 4 subs near each corner will help for everyone to get the impact from the movies.  They don't have to be done all at once.

Not just the size but the ref premier has titanium tweets and are just smoother up high.  It would simply sound more pleasant with ref premier up front.  These would work ok for surrounds at least for awhile though.  Yes most any decent receiver is 7.2 nowadays so just get one of those and upgrade speakers as budget allows.  Just shoot for an easy upgrade path and you'll be ok.  

I appreciate your advice. I still have to buy all the home theater components...receiver, speakers, projector and screen. I have been traveling for the past 8 years and haven't been able to enjoy my home. Getting this theater in will be a gift for myself.

Thanks for the pic's.  I can see a 7.2 working in the room.  The two seats in the far back may miss some of the effect but, the surround back speakers should really be an asset. In-wall and in-ceiling speakers is the way to go for the side surrounds and surround back.  Aesthetically, they will fit in with the room and no real compromise IMHO.

If possible, 4 subs near each corner will help for everyone to get the impact from the movies.  They don't have to be done all at once.

I have Klipsch ceiling speakers in my home and out on my patio and they sound great. Does Klipsch make a ceiling or in wall surround speakers that you recommend for this room?