1502 subwoofer between jubes

jwc

31 minutes ago, jwc said:

So anyone.... if not Roy.... want to take a guess at the FR specs on this beast?  

My understanding is the FR specs are very close to the 1802 with a Max Output down about 2db compared to the 1802.

35 minutes ago, jwc said:

Will it play out past 200Hz?

I believe so but I wonder if anyone would use it that high. Nulls in the polar response due to the bifurcated mouth would also start coming into play.

JC you left before the sub got a real workout with some music Mark Casavant played on the system.:D

miketn

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jason str said:

I cannot see a reason for any sub to play over 100 Hz, it is after all a subwoofer unless I'm missing something here.

Whether they should or not is a different debate, but most crossovers aren't a brick wall for one, and material that goes up to 120 hz is recorded in the LFE track on blu rays.  A typical 12 db / octave slope with a typical 80 hz crossover point and typical 120 hz LFE setting will have 3 digit frequencies coming through the subs a little, you can hear it on floor toms on concert blu rays.  

2 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Whether they should or not is a different debate, but most crossovers aren't a brick wall for one, and material that goes up to 120 hz is recorded in the LFE track on blu rays.  A typical 12 db / octave slope with a typical 80 hz crossover point and typical 120 hz LFE setting will have 3 digit frequencies coming through the subs a little, you can hear it on floor toms on concert blu rays.  

I normally recommend a 24dB/octave or steeper crossover slope on subwoofers if at all possible and i would imagine Klipsch will as well just like they do on the KPT-1802.

100 Hz is about the maximum frequency before subwoofer position becomes obvious limiting placement options.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jason str said:

100 Hz is about the maximum frequency before subwoofer position becomes obvious limiting placement options.

That's why I like subs up front under the screen.  The reality is that most AVR's are 12 db/octave on the subs and this can't be changed.  

" That's why I like subs up front under the screen.  The reality is that most AVR's are 12 db/octave on the subs and this can't be changed. "

These are pro sound subwoofers, AVR's have no business in pro sound applications.

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

No one here would EVER think about using Klipsch pro gear in a home environment with consumer level gear.  LOL.

If it fits through the door and using the proper equipment its always an option.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I'm in a smaller room so this is my plan. To put the sub under my projector screen and in between the Jubes. Gonna go home and do some measuring tonight.

On 5/21/2017 at 11:11 PM, mikebse2a3 said:

My understanding is the FR specs are very close to the 1802 with a Max Output down about 2db compared to the 1802.

I believe so but I wonder if anyone would use it that high. Nulls in the polar response due to the bifurcated mouth would also start coming into play.

JC you left before the sub got a real workout with some music Mark Casavant played on the system.:D

OK.  But that same 1802 cabinet is loaded with two 15' woofers to make the KPT-CINEMA GRANDEUR.  The LF cabinet is called KPT-1515-LF.  The spec sheet has is XO at 350Hz.  I am assuming Roy is comfortable with the polars of that cabinet to 350Hz.  Obviously the right drivers have to placed in there too.

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/KPT-Cinema-Grandeur-Data-Sheet-v03.pdf   

So... I am assuming it is possible that the 1502 may have decent play over 100Hz to where it might be a great LF cabinet with an awesome low end.  Why not put on top a KPT-Xii or The KPT 305/308?

11 hours ago, jwc said:

So... I am assuming it is possible that the 1502 may have decent play over 100Hz to where it might be a great LF cabinet with an awesome low end.  Why not put on top a KPT-Xii or The KPT 305/308?

Well I believe that might be an option if your placing the system in a space that you can integrate a system as tall as the KPT-CINEMA GRANDEUR.

I'm just speculating that the polar nulls might need to be taken into account as an upper limit on the system more than the on axis frequency extension capabilities of the system.

Obviously Roy is the best one to give guidance in this situation. 

miketn

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, jason str said:

" That's why I like subs up front under the screen.  The reality is that most AVR's are 12 db/octave on the subs and this can't be changed. "

These are pro sound subwoofers, AVR's have no business in pro sound applications.

Jason,

You can bet your *** that I will end up with at least one 1802 if not a pair eventually  ;)

Roger

17 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Jason,

You can bet your *** that I will end up with at least one 1802 if not a pair eventually  ;)

Roger

Hardly worth it to squeeze another 5-10 Hz out of the TSCM's but at least you can say you have one or two.