La Scalas with Phantom center?

Lost240

I used a phantom center with Khorns for a while and thought it was ok but then when I reset the system and put the Belle back in the center I realized that it was better than not having one.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lost240 said:

I had an RC-64II. It was great with my RF7IIs but sounded a bit bright with the La Scalas

I was going to recommend you get the highest quality center you can find, but obviously, you're already there.  B)

I like a true center because 90% of TV/movies are dialog and 90% of dialog comes from the center channel.  I like the voices being anchored to the center.

I was always a 2-channel person until a few years ago when TV started broadcasting in 5.1, discrete channels.  The voices and music were blended together into 2 channel and the music in the L/R often overpowered the dialog Center and the voices were muddied and really hard to hear.  That's when I went to an AVR and 5.1.

If you use an AVR you might try using some of the listening modes.  For instance Neo6 music will "throw" the voices outward to the L/R and Neo6 Cinema (Onkyo terminology)  will place dialog more towards the center.

I have two la scala for the center in I guess you can call it phantom. But I have K horns for the left and right. The reason I used two La Scala for the center is because of the TV I have I had to put one La Scala off to the side and it didn't  exactly sound centered.

Having the two La Scalas on the sides of the TV makes it sound like it is coming from the center. I don't think it would sound right if you used your left and right as center, you would probably lose most directionality of the sound.

Obviously, best would be to have a single La Scala in the center but I can't do this with a large TV. 

20170404_161837_zps6q9n4i7c.jpg

11 minutes ago, idred said:

Obviously, best would be to have a single La Scala in the center but I can't do this with a large TV. 

Interesting stand, I've never seen one that low before, it couldn't be more than 6-8" inches off the floor.  Is it made for that large a TV?  The TV looks low to me, but when I lay back in my chair my head points slightly upward so I like the TV up.

Head should be at the center of the screen. I have the 73" version (me thinks he has 82") with the stand made for it and my head is right at middle.

31 minutes ago, idred said:

I don't think it would sound right if you used your left and right as center, you would probably lose most directionality of the sound.

I disagree with this statement, but personal experience with different gear in different rooms certainly makes it a subjective opinion.

21454399833_5d79012de9_k.jpg

I used a rc64 with both cornwall fronts and LSii fronts... you can eq much of the mismatch out to the point where it sounds really good, but it will always be slightly different sounding due to timbre matching issues. This is not more evident until you actually get another heritage center to match, then it becomes nearly seamless.

Id kill for that single birch la scala for sale in portland right now... its the right price and in the perfect condition to add as a center in my system to replace my heresys.

• Like 1

@Schu I actually just sold my RC64II and use the la scalas without it until I can find an appropriate heritage center. I swear it sounds like there is a center channel there. The way the La Scalas image and the way my Pioneer Elite SC-68 has corrected for the lack of center is amazing. 

• Like 1