Speaker cable A-B

AHall

Actually there is some truth to this.  I'll let you look up skin effect on Wikipedia.  The article there does not make clear how much it could affect speaker wire.  But look at 

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/skin-effect-relevance-in-speaker-cables

Incidentally, There was the opportunity to do an AB-X on zip cord versus braided CAT-5 at the first pilgrimage to Indy.  I tried it with pink noise and found no difference in the AB part.  Monster Wire was pull from this contest.  

I also ran freq response at the amp and at the speaker for a run of zip cord.  There was no difference or maybe just one little data point.  

My recall is that Al K likes linz wire and I can't fault him for working to optimize his products.

WMcD

I've been saving up for over forty years for 22 karat gold speaker wire, but only have enough money to buy about 4 FT of it at the moment, and I need at least 20 feet of it.  So.... when my descendants show up on here to let you know what their A/B test between this vs. that in speaker wire turns out to be, and mention my name and use the term "22 karat gold speaker wire" pay attention because I will probably be dead and in the ground for a decade or so before they make that post (that is...providing they don't blow their inheritances from me on something ridiculous like new Iphones instead of the 22 karat gold speaker wire they are SUPPOSED to buy!)

• Like 2

On 5/23/2017 at 4:08 PM, samhain1969 said:

Whichever route you go...  Do not fall into the elitist-cult mindset of purchasing overly expensive "high-end" wire or customs; https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths.486598/  Choosing the right gage w/good insulation and building your own along with using the correct length will do you more favors than how much you spend.

This is a great read, puts a few things into perspective without taking the fun out of it all. Thanks for posting that.

p.s.HDBRbuilder, only a cheapskate would use 22 karat gold for speaker cable, a true audiophile would use 24.

Edited by No.4

23 hours ago, No.4 said:

This is a great read, puts a few things into perspective without taking the fun out of it all. Thanks for posting that.

p.s.HDBRbuilder, only a cheapskate would use 22 karat gold for speaker cable, a true audiophile would use 24.

24 Karat is way too soft, and it would fall apart if you tried to twist it or anything like that...it is way softer in fine strands than the insulation covering it...so...22 Karat is the way to go!

An interesting read is that of McIntosh's Roger Russell, then head of Mc's Acoustic Research and designer of the first McIntosh loudspeakers. He does an in depth article on speaker wire and finds little to no reason to spend large $$$ on wire. This might be useful for Mc owners as they can lower their $$$ of wire and dump more $$$$$$ into their amps. ---- 

Speaker cables can sound different.  Termination, quality of wire, and type of conductor can add some substantial cost.  That excellent termination and something like silver will push the cable into the $100 range.

The problem here is that you may like the sound of the cheap zipcord with bare connections over the $2000 cables.  Each person likes something different.  Many people "hear" something different as the price goes up and have to have that so choose wisely.

14 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Speaker cables can sound different.  Termination, quality of wire, and type of conductor can add some substantial cost.  That excellent termination and something like silver will push the cable into the $100 range.

The problem here is that you may like the sound of the cheap zipcord with bare connections over the $2000 cables.  Each person likes something different.  Many people "hear" something different as the price goes up and have to have that so choose wisely.

From the very beginning of Klipsch speakers until at least the mid 1980's, and probably into the early 90's, all the R&D and testing of the speakers was done using "cheap zipcord"...so, in actuality, THAT is what should be used on at least that era of speakers if you want them to test out properly to meet the specs the speakers met back in that era.  It is what it is!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

From the very beginning of Klipsch speakers until at least the mid 1980's, and probably into the early 90's, all the R&D and testing of the speakers was done using "cheap zipcord"...so, in actuality, THAT is what should be used on at least that era of speakers if you want them to test out properly to meet the specs the speakers met back in that era.  It is what it is!

I concur.  I've done cable swaps and as long as it is pure copper, not CCA, it sounds great.  Pay attention to gauge, considering length from source, and all will be well.  You want to spend hundreds on cables, be my guest.  If the placebo affect suits you enjoy.  Sometimes, you can't over-complicate what works.  It's like adding a big wing to the back of your Honda, it's not going to make you go any faster.

If you think some of these expensive and special cables will make a difference.  Go back to start and select the right speakers, amps, processor and setup.  This should get you 99% there.  Forget the extra 1% because for 99.9% of us it is out of the audible range.  Matter of fact, getting better speakers, amp and processor will yield the greatest benefit.

8 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

To your point, yes it is good to have a speaker that you know will sound good without boutique cables though who would be caught dead with zip cord tied to the back of a set of Magico Ultimates?  You need the additional jewelry since it is like having the necklace without the ear rings.  Back to reality....

The fact is that even zip cords can sound different and I like the sound of silver plated over something like Sound King copper zip cord might mean something is broken or I am crazy.  :wacko:  Both are zip cord :rolleyes:so I am adhering to standard test policies though metal type and twist do matter.  Back in the days, they probably stuck with the zip cord sourced from Lafayette as I don't think Radio Shack was as prevalent then.

I can set up my KLF30s or even much more revealing speakers and hook both up both cables and there is a readily noticeable in the clarity of the midrange.  Someone should break the bank and spend the $12 to do a double blind test to find out if I do have all my marbles (probably missing a couple, or more, by this point).

The point I stated about $100 is that you can use the zip cord and a nice set of bananas or spades at each end that will push the cable up to C-note territory.  Definitely not expensive if you want to be able to have some flexibility in connection types as I do because hate those stupid binding posts where I can not get the wire through correctly and turn the knobs.

All things being equal, bare wire should be the best termination if you can get a good tight connection on it.