Reference Series vs Reference Premiere.

I was wondering exactly what the difference is between the 2. 

The RP-280F has the same power rating at 8ohms as the R-28F. 

Is there really a big difference in the sound then? Shouldn't they sound the same if the power rating matches? I don't see why I should spend more money on the RP-280 when I can get the R-28 cheaper if it sounds the same. 

Trying to find videos online comparing them but I haven't been able to. 

There are three series of Reference (four actually)

First generation Reference (RF-3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 25, 35, 42, 52, 62, 82 and their corresponding systems) are of similar standard to the Reference II line (RF-3 II, 7 II, 42 II et al).  These are also similar to the Reference Premier line (RP-240, 250, 260, 280F and their systems).

The Reference line of late (R-24, 26, 28F et al) is actually the same as the Icon line (KF-24, 26, 28).  Those speakers replaced the Synergy line and are only available at big box stores.

They are made with lower quality parts, have poorer building materials and generally will sound more muddy and dull than the Reference II/First Gen/RP line.

Titanium woofers vs. aluminum.

Cerametallic woofers vs. IMG woofers.

Rear port vs. front port.

The RF/RFII/RP line will take down the KF/R line any day of the week.

5 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

First generation Reference (RF-3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 25, 35, 42, 52, 62, 82 and their corresponding systems) are of similar standard to the Reference II line (RF-3 II, 7 II, 42 II et al).  

Fwiw, I'm not sure if the above creates an accurate picture of how the lines came about and there are quite a few Reference speakers you left out. In the beginning there were the RP series and in the middle you missed the RF-83/RF-63 series of floor standers. There was also the RF-7 Classic that was between the RF-83s and RF-7IIs. Regardless, I don't think that was actually the OPs question but wanted to share my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Just now, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I'm not sure if the above creates an accurate picture of how the lines came about and there are quite a few Reference speakers you left out. In the beginning there were the RP series and in the middle you missed the RF-83/RF-63 series of floor standers. There was also the RF-7 Classic that was between the RF-83s and RF-7IIs. Regardless, I don't think that was actually the OPs question but wanted to share my 2 cents.

Listing all of the Reference speakers wasn't my intention.  I do notice I missed the et al in the first parenthetical but the point still rides.  The general gist of the question that I understood is "what difference can there be?" The answer is...a lot.

7 minutes ago, nitrofan said:

Power rating tells you nothing about how a speaker sounds

If I could turn this into a plaque and give out to every customer that walks in the door at Best Buy, I would.

OP, if you learn nothing else from this thread, make it this.

Reference Premiere has nicer tweeters and horns, you'll get a smoother sound out of them. Comparison videos won't tell you much for speakers either, I never really saw the point in people video taping their sound systems when the camera's microphone and your computer speakers will never have it sound anything like the way it did in that person's room.

I have older pair of Synergy speakers (F-20) that did the job when they were my only speakers, but they were bright sounding and didn't work well for all content. Upgrading to RP-280Fs was a good call on my part. Upgrading to Heritage was an even better idea, but one step at a time!

You'll enjoy whichever one, but I'd get the Reference Premiere (and I did.) There's a lot more to a speaker than its power handling and specs on paper. 8-ohm is fairly standard for most speakers these days.

The Reference line/Synergy/Icon has a different tweeter.  The aluminum tweeter will breakup earlier at high spl.  They are a lower build quality than the  RP or Classic Reference line.  Are they bad, I don't think so.  I still own the Icon VF 35's and love them.  I have passed along a ton of gear including amps, speaker and avr's and have not felt the need to replace the VF 35's in my family room.

I do have one caveat, the V series Icon speakers were Klipsch first debut into big box retail.  I would prefer this series over the current Reference.  Why, the horn was much smoother.  They were flower shaped for the lack of a better description.  This odd shaped horn may have spawn the RP line.  Just a hunch.

The newer RP horn is less "hornish" (technical term for the anomalies of horn sound).  It makes the speaker smoother, cleaner, and less fussy of upstream electronics of which it is usually paired in this this price category, are typically wanting.

Pair the RP series with a good amp and front end and they will perform at a much higher level than their price seems to present.

• Like 1